Inverter/UPS Problems

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Our new house has an old, small inverter that is giving us problems.

Our "communications center"-2 internet phones, land phone, router, and DSL modem-are plugged into a 600w UPS that has always worked properly in our old house that had a larger name-brand Inverter.

Here, whenever the power goes out, the UPS switches over but the DSL modem loses the connection and has to be rebooted to go back online-and we lose the internet phones and internet. Sometimes the land phone (wireless) has to reboot.

The voltage fluctuations from the inverter can vary between 69-129 volts...in the matter of seconds.

I don't quite understand why the modem needs to be rebooted when the UPS ~seems~ to be working properly. In fairness to it, in 1.5 years it's had more work to do than most UPS's do in several lifetimes.

Additionally, I wonder about the "quality" of power the inverter is putting out. It makes considerable humming sounds...the lower the voltage (measured) the louder the hum.

I suspect I'll have to scrap the inverter and batteries for decent quality equipment. For ebing a "24 hour zone" per the Edenorte signs coming into Jarabacoa, we've sure been losing it a lot lately...

Any inverter/electrical guru's out there with any answers and/or suggestions.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Possibly the batteries not holding up.

Re-check all inter battery connections.
A bad connection under load will cause a decrease in the supply voltage.
The hum will increase therefore, as lower voltage means more draw on the inverter I believe.

I use a Tripplite 1000va Constant ON 60 cycle UPS on ALL my electronic equipment.
There is no switch over time.

Don

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
If you're using a trace inverter, try removing the UPS and just run all your computer equipment, etc directly off the inverter. It may be an incompatibility between the inverter and the UPS. I don't use any UPS's at all anymore, since to run a UPS with an inverter you should have a sine wave UPS which are very expensive and the inverter switchover times are fast enough.

I have a lot of computer and electrical equipment and don't have any crashes at all.

If you're not running off a trace inverter, then thats the first thing to fix. :)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
In doing research of the best bang-for-the-buck inverter/battery system, I came upon this video of Inverluz, the folks in Moca who manufacture the Protrace and Wave brands of inverters:

YouTube - mocafutura's Channel

Sep 22, 2009
If you're using a trace inverter, try removing the UPS and just run all your computer equipment, etc directly off the inverter. It may be an incompatibility between the inverter and the UPS. I don't use any UPS's at all anymore, since to run a UPS with an inverter you should have a sine wave UPS which are very expensive and the inverter switchover times are fast enough.

I have a lot of computer and electrical equipment and don't have any crashes at all.

If you're not running off a trace inverter, then thats the first thing to fix. :)

Agreed that Protrace is a great bang for the buck.

HOWEVER, the more sensative electronics you have, for example iPhone, BB, Laptops, big CPU systems like dual cores, LEDs and good stereos... Please do yourself a favor by investing in a pure Sine Wave inverter. The problem with "most" Dominican-type non-sinewave installations, is that the the wave transform is VERY dirty. OK for an old 1985 Whirlpool wash machine, but VERY bad for a new Dell XPS or iPhone.

Word to the wise!

Sep 22, 2009
Forgot: the UPS will not "understand" when your inverter takes over if it is not a Full Sine Wave!!!!!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
HOWEVER, the more sensative electronics you have, for example iPhone, BB, Laptops, big CPU systems like dual cores, LEDs and good stereos... Please do yourself a favor by investing in a pure Sine Wave inverter.

my experience has been that this isn't necessary. i had a simple trace 1524 for 6 years and it worked fine (bad sine wave). now i have a 2.4 kilo trace which is a modified sine wave, and it continues fine. to get a pure sine wave inverter is probably not worth the money -- but i definitely would get a trace inverter not some no-name brand.

Sep 22, 2009
my experience has been that this isn't necessary. i had a simple trace 1524 for 6 years and it worked fine (bad sine wave). now i have a 2.4 kilo trace which is a modified sine wave, and it continues fine. to get a pure sine wave inverter is probably not worth the money -- but i definitely would get a trace inverter not some no-name brand.

I could go that way also... If budget is a big issue, you gotta cut...

I just recommended on the safe side.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
But what characteristics does a solid inverter need? Some on my list, not forced ranked:
-quick power transfer: at least 30ms if not faster
-modified sine wave power
-over/under voltage protection
-short circuit protection
-multi-stage charger
-digital/solid state microprocessors, preferably machine produced
-diagnostic lights
-adjustments for battery capacity and type, and input/output voltage

Some nice characteristics:
-equalization cycle
-internal voltage regulation
-pure sine wave
-voltage meter

My goal is to get the best bang-for-the-buck with the characteristics I NEED. I'm less concerned who makes it. I intend to inspect those I research, and any sloppy work (bad solder joints, sloppy circuit boards, etc.) get rejected.

I will not be running heart monitors or nukuler missile guidance systems. I know folks all over the world who use modified sine wave power and haven't heard any stories of computer/electronics failures directly attributed to that one factor.

Line conditioning/voltage regulation is fine, but my concern is spikes and high voltage, not necessarily 100% 110v. I can live with some variance of voltage as long as extremes are buffered.

Aftab/AZB made a good post from an engineering perspective about inverters. They are basically simple devices: transformer, charger and microprocessor/switch. Most, as he posted and is congruent with my recent research, the "better" ones-including Dominican brands- use TripLite circuit/motherboards, and the layout of the diagnostic/adjustment panel reflects that. Transformers are simple devices, as are multi-stage chargers.

I have found good, solid 3.6kw inverters with two year warranty can be found for $RD16,000-19,000. There are some for RD$43,000+ that have a slew more bells and whistles, but I can't justify the incremental cost. Some will, but opinions vary.

I have found a 3.6kw unit produced locally in an impressive factory with all the items I need, with a digital voltage meter, for $RD16,000. I only "need" a 2.4kw unit, but the incremental cost to go 3.6kw is minor and gives me future expansion capabilities.

I will also be using the US2200 232ah batteries by U.S. Battery for $RD3500ea.

$RD30,000 seems like a decent price for a solid 928ah inverter system.

Based on my power bills, I use around 600kw a month with one a/c unit running at night for 8 hours. That translates into about 7.5ah usage with a/c. A 928ah battery bank should last around 2.5 days at 50% ah capacity. That is more than I need.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
seems rather complex. i'd just buy a trace. if you want it cheaper, buy a used trace. thats all :)