Import of VacPacked meat and fish

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Does anybody know if there are any restrictions on the import of VacPacked and tinned/cannedMeats and Smoked Fish into the DR by Domincan Customs. We visit the UK shortly and would like to bring some back with us.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
If you mean bring Vac packed meat into UK then you won't beable to. Cans and things in your case then cool. But if they run the dogs over the cases you might get a bite!
Not allowed I'm affraid.
Why on earth would you want to take Dominican food to the UK?
If we have wires crossed then it is the same, if they run the dogs over the cases (which they do at most airports in the UK now) then you can expect your case to have been opened and searched, the dogs only react and they will react to Vac Packed meat!!

Good luck!!

the import of VacPacked and tinned/cannedMeats and Smoked Fishinto the DR by Domincan Customs. We visit the UK shortly and would like to bring some back with us.

I think the op is saying from UK TO D/R

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Sorry I was not clear. I want to bring the goodies back from the UK to the DR.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Hand carry?

can you put it in your hand carry, that solves the dog problem.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Why would you want to bring lamb when you can buy wonderful lamb here? see our bigpalmfinca advert in the Classifieds on DR1! I do always ask my visitors to bring lots of [extra strong' mature cheddar though and some good tasty sausages and smoked back bacon.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
granca, check the Aduanas website. Import of pork was forbidden after 'swine' flue outbreak :)rolleyes: yeah, I know swine flue isn't transmitted by kissing pigs or eating them, but they imposed a ban). Not sure if it's been lifted yet nor if they later applied it to anything else - I never investigated because it wouldn't be something I would ever be interested in doing. But the info should all be there and also under phytosanitary regs on Agriculture website.

Sorry not to provide links for you - I'm fighting a very slow computer since mine died - just not an economical use of time to go hunting for them, but you should find them easily enough. I did post them before on north coast forum in answer to a question by RayLeeds, if you want to search.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
granca, check the Aduanas website. Import of pork was forbidden after 'swine' flue outbreak :)rolleyes: yeah, I know swine flue isn't transmitted by kissing pigs or eating them, but they imposed a ban). Not sure if it's been lifted yet nor if they later applied it to anything else - I never investigated because it wouldn't be something I would ever be interested in doing. But the info should all be there and also under phytosanitary regs on Agriculture website.

Sorry not to provide links for you - I'm fighting a very slow computer since mine died - just not an economical use of time to go hunting for them, but you should find them easily enough. I did post them before on north coast forum in answer to a question by RayLeeds, if you want to search.

Are these them
Ray, here's the link from Aduana (Customs) website:
Direcci?n General de Aduanas - DGA
basically saying what Domincan Today says but using more words. Haven't found anything to say the pork products ban is lifted, but I'll keep looking. I'm sure I've seen Scotch eggs here btw, so if Phil hunts he should be able to find them.
Pork products as of April 27th.
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2009/4/27/31817/Dominican-Government-orders-halt-on-pork-products
It might have been temporary - I'll see if I can find anything further, Ray. But best not to bring gammon rashers :cheeky:.

The phytosanitary regulations are here:
Secretar?a de Estado de Agricultura
but in Spanish & mainly refer to large scale imports not tourist suitcases which hardly ever get checked by Customs coming in ;). Only thing I found in English was
http://www.fas.usda.gov/gainfiles/200507/146130380.pdf
and it's dated 2005 :ermm:.

PM or email if you don't want the world to know what it might be & whether you'll be chancing anything. We know when to keep quiet...

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Why would you want to bring lamb when you can buy wonderful lamb here? see our bigpalmfinca advert in the Classifieds on DR1! I do always ask my visitors to bring lots of [extra strong' mature cheddar though and some good tasty sausages and smoked back bacon.

Big respect for the plug WB ;) but this was nearly 5 years ago and at that time we weren't seeing any in the supermarkets on the north coast so. 100% agree with the cheese etc :bunny:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Big respect for the plug WB ;) but this was nearly 5 years ago and at that time we weren't seeing any in the supermarkets on the north coast so. 100% agree with the cheese etc :bunny:

Nacional has whole imported lamb legs for RD$ 179.oo/Lbs and boneless for (if my memory serves me well) 249.oo/Lbs.
Sirena has the whole legs too... sometimes @ 129.oo but mostly at 189.oo/Lbs.

If you bring in Prime Rib, I will personally arrest you and impound the meat for further testing (which I will do myself too)! :D

... J-D.

whiskylee

May 13, 2007
Wow thats some price for Lamb Legs! thats over $5 us per/lb

Wholsale whole new season Lamb carcases are $2.40 us per/lb in Blighty !

Only problem is You might get asked a few questions when you go through customs with your lamb carcase over your shoulder !!!

Let me know if you would like a container full !

Whiskylee (Meat Trader)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
why to risk hassle and maybe damage on the meat to bring in what is available here, like the mentioned lamb?
not worth the difference on the rate, maybe finally 'cheaper' to just grab tha' lamb here and carry it home instead on the shoulder at Heathrow, ha ha.
canned fish and stuff,
don't like that, it assists the big ocean killer boats.
anyways, we are a caribbean Isle, if you do not get the better fresher tastier and also cheaper top fish down here in DR you still did not live here in DR.
in case of chocolates i fully understand smuggling, i love Milka's and Ritter Sport, and they are sorrily not everywhere available here on the eastern campo. maybe luckily, would need an additional fridge aside the beer freezer, ha ha.
it is a hassle when new on the island, maybe in some areas/cities it is always, but once you found the right butcher meat is great here, chicken, pork, beef, goose and of course the best fish. i get them all, i get them all delivered to my home without extra cost b/c that butcher passes here at my house at least once a week, mostly twice, and the rates do make hassle/risky imports unnecessay.
happy slaughtering, lol
Mike

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Do you know, I can actually smell mint sauce!! mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Haha, I have some jars of that too plus we grow fresh mint in the garden. Our lamb is just 140 pesos/lb but that is applicable to the entire carcass as we don't sell just legs solo!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha ha
looks like there are more saucage friends out there than imagined.
a pack(3 dozen each pack) of german weisswurst usually doesn't survuve the 1st week here, and it's only me and the wife eating,
i would never share that gold, lol
Mike

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Boy, and I thought I was a hotdog fanatic. Chicago Vienna Rules!!!

I brought two packs of Nathan's this last trip into the DR I had them nicely packed in a small collapsible cooler inside my carry on...and stuck a couple chocolates and cheeses in there too....it can be done if you are willing to give up carry on space in your luggage. Oh and I pack the checked luggage Velveta cheese (2lb brick) and jars of cheese sauce (don't ask...I personally don't like the stuff) for a special meal I make my in-laws..It's the small things that count right :cheeky:

If you use a cooler it's best to try to freeze the meat so as you are en route it is still in good condition upon arrival.

Kali

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
My actual wish list does not include lamb nor pork apart from some pork byproducts as I agree that pork, lamb and birds are fine here. Its beef that I'm missing. Good, tender, tasty steaks, fillet, rump, Tbone, a piece of roasting rib and a nice sirloin. I might risk some black pudding and good sausages and if possible some good green bacon (salt cured). No fresh fish but I would like some manx kippers and natural smoked finnon haddock, how else can you make kedgeree? The rest is tinned/canned or bottled - branston pickle!, Bovril, marmite. I shan't give my return time in case I get kidnapped by some of you gourmets out there. Neverheless thanks for all your help and advice.