Artax voltage regulator?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I have been thinking about installing a whole house voltage regulator. Someone has recommended a unit assembled in the DR using parts made in Europe (Germany, I think). The brand is Artax and they make inverters as well.

He is telling me that I need 2 units (1 for 110, and 1 for 220) for a total of 10KW. The total cost including installation would be about RD$32,000.

I'm relatively ignorant in this area. Does any have any experience with this product, and does it seem kosher?

thanks,
-D

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Can you tell us why you think you need a voltage regulator? If your voltage isn't more than 130 or less than 110 you really don't need one, not unless the lines to your house are substandard and can't carry a lot of amperage. In that case you might need one. I have a voltage regulator that converts 220 to 110 because I had the problem I described.

Also, I can't imagine you have a lot of need of 220 other than the dryer and you should be fine without a regulator, just use a surge protector.

My 110 volt regulator cost me around RD 15k two years ago if I remember correctly.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Can you tell us why you think you need a voltage regulator? If your voltage isn't more than 130 or less than 110 you really don't need one, not unless the lines to your house are substandard and can't carry a lot of amperage. In that case you might need one. I have a voltage regulator that converts 220 to 110 because I had the problem I described.

Also, I can't imagine you have a lot of need of 220 other than the dryer and you should be fine without a regulator, just use a surge protector.

My 110 volt regulator cost me around RD 15k two years ago if I remember correctly.

I'm going to display my ignorance here, but I was told by the person installing a chlorinator for my pool that the voltage was high, which can cause damage. I am in NY and can only be in Sosua a few days every month. That plus my ignorance of all things electrical makes me want to do the surest fix to protect everything in the house.

The pool person tells me that the Artax voltage regulator is what many people are using. What I really need, I guess, is a trustworthy bonified expert to check out my house and tell me what to do. I certainly don't know. My wife is in Sosua full time, and she has a better understanding than I do. But neither of us is qualified. - D

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i've long considered installing one, and would consider that in sosua with less reliable electricity it would be a good idea. if it can save you from one major fluctuation and save some devices that can't be bad.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
i've long considered installing one, and would consider that in sosua with less reliable electricity it would be a good idea. if it can save you from one major fluctuation and save some devices that can't be bad.

How would you go about it? I would like to put it in the hands of a qualified, trustworthy electrician, but so far I have not run across that person. - D

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
How would you go about it? I would like to put it in the hands of a qualified, trustworthy electrician, but so far I have not run across that person. - D

they don't exist. :) you just find a guy and keep paying until it works!