Traveling with a Dog

g2s

Sep 10, 2009
I am hoping someone can give me information about flying into the DR from the US with a small dog. My family will be taking an extended vacation to the DR and we are bringing our Havanese with us. Does anyone know which papers are required? And what should I expect at the airport in the DR? Also, what about returning to the US? Thank you,

B

BettyDiamond

havanese10.jpg

some havanesii in case anyone was wondering what they are

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Dog

We travel back and forth from the US with our Havanese (Chip). It really is quite easy.
-You need a certificate of health from your local vet in the US.
-The dog needs an up to date rabies vac. (not the three year one but a one year rabies) and technically needs to have had it for 30 days but that will not be checked
-USDA needs to stamp your health certificate within two weeks (check with your airline as may vary on different carriers) of your trip (can be done by return mail in a couple of days). Many do not do this, but we do just in case some one has a hair up their butt when we arrive.
-on arrival you need to pay a $10 fee or 300 pesos to customs. This is a very easy process and you will still be waiting for your bags after the dog is cleared. (usually a small room near the luggage area)

Going back you need a health certificate from a vet here. Very easy to get and it costs about $30.

Enjoy your vacation

Bob K

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
The only other thing you have to check on is, if you want to carry the dog in the cabin, not the hole. Most airlines have a limit of 1 or 2 dogs in the cabin. Based on the size of your dog I would try to put him under the seat. Cont. is easy to work with but we don't know about the others.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Sorry, forgot to add that he will easily fit in a regulation air line cabin carrier and will be able to travel under your seat. The cost is about $100 per flight, and yes there is a limit (usually one per cabin) on the number of pets allowed.
We have use AA, Cont, UA all with the dog and no problem.

Bob K

g2s

Sep 10, 2009
Thank you everyone for the information. I am waiting for the USDA stamp and then we should be all set to travel. We are flying American into Santo Domingo, which is a non-stop flight for us. Our havanese, Desi, has his reservation for his in-cabin, under the seat, flight. I'll let you know how the trip goes for humans and dog.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
check with the airlines

Most airlines have restictions as to the time of year that animals can travel.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NOT when it is in the cabin!!! Except what has been stated here. Please read the whole thread before opining. The OP and the posters have done their homework and know about this. You, evidently, do not.

HB

pizzabite

Aug 19, 2006
We travel back and forth from the US with our Havanese (Chip). It really is quite easy.
-You need a certificate of health from your local vet in the US.
-The dog needs an up to date rabies vac. (not the three year one but a one year rabies) and technically needs to have had it for 30 days but that will not be checked
-USDA needs to stamp your health certificate within two weeks (check with your airline as may vary on different carriers) of your trip (can be done by return mail in a couple of days). Many do not do this, but we do just in case some one has a hair up their butt when we arrive.
-on arrival you need to pay a $10 fee or 300 pesos to customs. This is a very easy process and you will still be waiting for your bags after the dog is cleared. (usually a small room near the luggage area)

Going back you need a health certificate from a vet here. Very easy to get and it costs about $30.

Enjoy your vacation

Bob K

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. Is it necessary to bring the vet health certificate to the DR consulate to be authenticated before entering the DR? We needed to do this in 2007 for our dog.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Chip has traveled back and forth 8 or 10 times now and we have never needed the certificate stamped by the DR consulate. As Lindsey said i don't think it is required any longer.

We also have never given extra propina ($$) other then the $300RD or $10 if you don't have pesos at customs. It is really a pretty easy process. Our luggage has more problems then the dog.

Bob K

wendymathews

Mar 27, 2007
One more question, does the dog have to have the health certificate stamped by the USDA or just signed by the vet?

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Just signed by the Vet., with a copy of the shot record. The Rabies must be less then 1 year old. Talk to your Vet. about this. In the US. it's 3 year shots.

g2s

Sep 10, 2009
I am wondering what to expect on our return to the US with our dog. Bob, you mentioned a vet certificate from a vet in the D.R. Is that all the U.S. would need to re-enter?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I am wondering what to expect on our return to the US with our dog. Bob, you mentioned a vet certificate from a vet in the D.R. Is that all the U.S. would need to re-enter?

The return certificate has to be from a vet here. Not a problem as they will do it for $30.
And yes you are supposed to have the health certificate (frrom the US to here) stamped by the USDA. Some folks don't do this but they may have a problem if it is checked here which is not alway the case. So you are taking a chance by not having it stamped.

BObK

Aug 21, 2007
At first, I traveled with the USDA stamped certificate. But after a few times back and forth, I began using a state vet certificate. This is the certificate that vets use if you fly from one state to another. It does not need to be stamped by the USDA. Other than the color print on the form, it looks just like the USDA certificate. I have traveled back and forth to the DR at least 12 times with this certificate and never was questioned.