Moving to DR

Eymi

Jan 24, 2009
I am planning to move to the Dominican Republic in September 2010.

I am wondering what course of action I need to take between now and then. I have contacted the Dominican Embassy in London and they have sent me some paperwork but said that in order for me to apply for a Residence Visa, I need to do this in person at the Migration Office in DR.

Any information that can help me in this process would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Eymi

Jan 24, 2009
Ok, thank you for your advice.

When I arrive how long will the process take? And will I be able to live in the country while the process takes place?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Ok, thank you for your advice.

When I arrive how long will the process take? And will I be able to live in the country while the process takes place?

Yes you can live in the country. And the process takes on average 6 months - some are faster than others. If you are planning to work for certain companies they may even do it for you.

matilda

Eymi

Jan 24, 2009
Yes the most I have stayed is 3 weeks. If I chose not to have the paperwork but to live, as a trial, for a certain amount of months, would I be able to work without the paperwork completed?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
From the number of posts you have and the questions you are asking, I wonder how you arrived at the decision to live in the DR.

I suggest you spend a few hundred hours using the search function.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
As said, yes this isn't a problem. You would only have to do as I do and pay the fines when you want to leave inbetween. They are not expensive and so popping back to the UK (I understand this is where you are from?) isn't an issue. It is called a fine but really is a small payment made for overstaying a month.

Just wondering how often you have visited before and for how long. Not knowing about the payment (fine) for overstaying the vacation period leads me to think you haven't been to the Dominican for longer than a vacation.
OVERSTAY PENALTIES

15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yes the most I have stayed is 3 weeks. If I chose not to have the paperwork but to live, as a trial, for a certain amount of months, would I be able to work without the paperwork completed?

Depends on the job. Some will let you work without residency - maybe bar work, diving instructor, etc, but some such as free zone jobs will need residency or at least proof that you are applying for it.

What are you thinking of doing and where???

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
let me share what others have alluded to, but not said. (I've lived here full time since 2001).

This is a very very different place to what you are used to. Just by the question you are asking means you don't really understand what is important here. You can live for years without residency and it makes no difference for most people. Paperwork isn't that big of a deal.

If you are moving here to be with someone, you should investigate DR1 even more thoroughly.

And two biggest tips:
1. Make sure you have a place to go back to -- keep bank accounts and money ready in your home country in case things don't work, and don't burn bridges.
2. Don't commit to anything here (buying real estate, etc) for at least the first 6 months and preferably 12 months. No matter how confident you are, wait.

Consider it a simple test. If it works, do more of it. If it doesn't go back home.

And of course, have fun :)

Eymi

Jan 24, 2009
Thank you for both of your advice, it really is appreciated and thanks for not judging but giving truthful advice. I think I will take both of your advice and take it as it comes rather than rush into it with nothing to fall back on.
I do have a house here in England that I can move back into if things don't go as planned so I will keep that as an option.
Thank you all again for your advice x