ATM fees

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I have used my atm card to transfer money monthly from my checking account in the US. Sadly my bank has been gobbled up by Chase and they are now charging 3% for using a "non Chase atm" as they put it. Old bank only charged one percent. Anyone here have a one percent or less bank?
These banks are such thieves. Three percent for what!!!! Appreciate a referral.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have used my atm card to transfer money monthly from my checking account in the US. Sadly my bank has been gobbled up by Chase and they are now charging 3% for using a "non Chase atm" as they put it. Old bank only charged one percent. Anyone here have a one percent or less bank?
These banks are such thieves. Three percent for what!!!! Appreciate a referral.

Bank of America allows FREE withdrawal out of Scotia Bank Dominicana, less whatever Visa/MC international get for currency conversion.

(I get 36 out of the ATM net of any conversion fees)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
never checked about rates paid by US card holders.
interesting theme.
my card is a master card and connected to my ole time bank account in germany.
limits per sweep are 10.000 pesos at the ATM, that limit is set locally here in the DR by the ATM bosse's, not by the cards, as many sweeps as the ATM has money or the card limit of course.
i pay 5 euros per sweep plus 1.85%.
exchange rate is always the best which could happen.
keep it coming
Mike

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
changes

My old bank WAMU used to be no charge transfer. I will check Bank of Amerika although they are not a big favorite of mine. I am looking for the least expensive way to transfer monthly income that is deposited into US bank to the DR. These banks are such criminals. Scotia Bank told me it was two weeks to pay a check(bank check) issued by Scotia Sosua to Banco Popular Sosua. They kite the money to hang onto it as long as possible. Banks in US did the same until lawmakers finally changed the rules now that we are in the computer age. Any other US banks that anyone uses that have a reasonable transfer rate? Otherwise its Bank of Amerika.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Bank of Internet reimburses only the first $8 in ATM fees per month. Schwab has an online bank account that reimburses ALL ATM fees... no monthly limit.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Up until April 2008 it was 15,000pesos per 24hours, but since then they may have changed the limits on a few banks due to fraud, I'm not exactly sure from April!
hi Pig,
is that a dominican card or a foreign issued card?
my mastercard does not show such 24hrs low limit.
it is limited to 10.000.- pesos per sweep, but i can do in those 24hrs or even right away at the same ATM as many sweeps as i like, until i do not exceed the card's credit limit or the machine runs out of cash.
i limited my card myself to the value of $1.000.- per 24hrs just in case i would get her stolen one day and somebody would know my PIN and try to empty the account.
seems those different banks and different countries run very different rules for the ATM use.
Mike

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I have NEVER been charged an ATM fee here using a Bank of Internet card ( or my back up card for that matter) . Bank of Internet actually gives me an extra 8 dollars each month for using an ATM here in the DR. ;)

If Schwab, does that or better, go with them.

Interesting... I'll investigate them some more. I was basing my statements on the information on their website. (They also have a $5000 minimum balance or else they charge $7.50/month).

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
belgian atm card... no limit as far as I can tell... I have taken over 1000$ in a day... fixed charge of around 3$, regardless of the amount, and the exchange rate is good, if not fantastic. Beats wiring over the money to my account here big time (charge of 15$ or more per wire, and lousy exchange rates)