I'm boooored

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
So, I'm over the year mark here and the initial "thrill" is gone. Now I need something to do. I cannot work because I work in NYC 12 days out of the month, and I highly doubt that any job here is going to match what I make there. I have found in the last month that with my boredom I am starting to nag my boyfriend and get on my children's nerves.
I need a hospital, orphanage, business, or something where I can volunteer (that means non-paid) for about 4 hours a day when I am here. Anybody know of anything? Obviously, I am here in Santiago...
I am a L&D RN in the states so maybe a Pre-natal clinic or MD office or SOMETHING...I am about to die. Theres got to be an Orphanage or something that needs help changing stinky diapers;)
Free....
SHALENA

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
So, I'm over the year mark here and the initial "thrill" is gone. Now I need something to do. I cannot work because I work in NYC 12 days out of the month, and I highly doubt that any job here is going to match what I make there. I have found in the last month that with my boredom I am starting to nag my boyfriend and get on my children's nerves.
I need a hospital, orphanage, business, or something where I can volunteer (that means non-paid) for about 4 hours a day when I am here. Anybody know of anything? Obviously, I am here in Santiago...
I am a L&D RN in the states so maybe a Pre-natal clinic or MD office or SOMETHING...I am about to die. Theres got to be an Orphanage or something that needs help changing stinky diapers;)
Free....
SHALENA

You can volunteer to make sales calls on my behalf and I will donate to your favorite charity here in the Dr

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Go over to the Juan XXIII Clinic over in Peking and talk to the PUCMM med students there. You can probably help a bit in your area... Also an orphanage called Imaculada Concepcion in Arroyo Hondo off of Jacinto Dumit (I think)....I can take you there.

There are lots of other places, too for you to do well. I can ask my son about Nursing at HOMS for example...

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You can volunteer to make sales calls on my behalf and I will donate to your favorite charity here in the Dr
In English??:cheeky:
Go over to the Juan XXIII Clinic over in Peking and talk to the PUCMM med students there. You can probably help a bit in your area... Also an orphanage called Imaculada Concepcion in Arroyo Hondo off of Jacinto Dumit (I think)....I can take you there.

There are lots of other places, too for you to do well. I can ask my son about Nursing at HOMS for example...

HB
Thanks, HB...I will call you!

SHALENA

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The next closest thing to volunteering is working at the public hospital in Santiago. If interested let me know and I'll put you in contact with the sis in law.

noni

Mar 30, 2009
I too am bored, I feel like I am drowning – I went from working all day to doing absolutely nothing. At least you get to go into civilization twelve days out of the month. I get to stay in this hell whole everyday of the month. I tried to volunteer but that is a joke in this place, they will look at you like you have five heads. They want your money more than they want your services. Everything here is about the money.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I too am bored, I feel like I am drowning – I went from working all day to doing absolutely nothing. At least you get to go into civilization twelve days out of the month. I get to stay in this hell whole everyday of the month. I tried to volunteer but that is a joke in this place, they will look at you like you have five heads. They want your money more than they want your services. Everything here is about the money.
Noni, are you here in Santiago?? Where did you go to volunteer? Going to NYC is not all it's cracked up to be...I cry when I have to go. Only because I am from the south and I HATE New York (Dominicans think I'm crazy of course). My domestic employee is too good for her own good, I don't even have anything to clean! I have found myself sleeping later and later till 12 or even 2 in the afternoon, first signs of depression! Maybe we can find somehting to do together if you are here in Santiago... I am leaning more towards the clinic or hospital.
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
The next closest thing to volunteering is working at the public hospital in Santiago. If interested let me know and I'll put you in contact with the sis in law.

I am interested, but would they let me off the time that I have to be in NYC? Of course, getting a job would have been my first desire but since no job will fit into my schedule I am happy with volunteering.
SHALENA

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am interested, but would they let me off the time that I have to be in NYC? Of course, getting a job would have been my first desire but since no job will fit into my schedule I am happy with volunteering.
SHALENA

Good point. If it doesn't work out for you you could always stop by the maternity ward and talk with the head nurse there. Who knows.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I too am bored, I feel like I am drowning ? I went from working all day to doing absolutely nothing. At least you get to go into civilization twelve days out of the month. I get to stay in this hell whole everyday of the month. I tried to volunteer but that is a joke in this place, they will look at you like you have five heads. They want your money more than they want your services. Everything here is about the money.

LOL are you being kept against your will there?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Well, she is right about volunteering..... It just is not part of the tradition here and no one understands it. I had more than one place say... oh great... then you will be here to teach English on M?F from 9 to 5?

And it is not easy to adapt to a life of retirement just like that ... ANYWHERE... let alone crossing cultures.... BUT is this perhaps, that you have retired here with your Dominican spouse?

Are you on the Coast, in the Capital, where?

There are little groups everywhere ... run by expats mostly, who could always use some help.....

But you need to get a grip, here..... if you think it is a hell hole... well, honey, you need a trip back to wherever to do a reality check.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Shalena---- I am helping a Haitian Dominican NGO which is trying to start getting medical supplies and trainers to the Haitian side of the border areas...

We are hooking up with a Haitian physician in Florida... to help get a covering 501C3 and then start bringing in midwife training teams from the DR side.

WE could use some help... but it would not get you out of the house or being with people... just for the moment internet work... BUT really really needed...

pm me if you are interested...and I will call you and we can talk more.

noni

Mar 30, 2009
I went to some place for girls in Las Colinas and some other place almost by Tamboril only for boys ran by some French man. By the way yes I am in Santiago-Gurabo to be exact. Just last night I found out about this hospital or clinic (not sure) that needs volunteers to baby sit children who are cancer patients while their parents go home to rest and freshen up. I soon as I find out more I can let you know if you are interested.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
the children?s hospital in santiago is always, always, always open to volunteers. not part of the culture, but every time i?ve been there are at least 10 dominicans there volunteering their time.

you can read to the cancer kids or the burn victims, or take the ?healthier?kids to color in one of the ?play?rooms they have.

there ARE places that want your time. and appreciate it. and tell you thank you. you just have to know where to ask.