SOLUTIONS: Slow Internet = Need for Power.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say they didn't need a high powered puter/laptop, because all they do is emails and a bit of surfing and Facebook and Messenger, etc.

Maybe they don't, in America !!!

Here in the DR, we would benefit greatly by having 10 X the internet speed that we now have and that may even come one day but in the meantime, we need powerful computers.

The video clips speak for themselves.
( Codetel 768 up and 512 down plan )

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/fwi503cwmns&hl=en&fs=1& width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Slow Internet + Powerful Computer = Decent Results.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
How it affects Messenger, Skype, etc.

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/fuxjRfq3CAg&hl=en&fs=1& width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Same deal.
Slow Internet + Powerful Computer = Decent Results.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Multitasking Compounds the Problem,

But if you have a powerful computer, DR internet surfing isn't that bad.

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/2kQiZdARnfQ&hl=en&fs=1& width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Again,
Slow Internet + Multitasking + Powerful Computer = Decent Results.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
That looks just like Apple's user interface. Are Microsoft trying to copy?

Now if you want real computing power, get a Mac! Once you've had Mac, you never go back!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Powerful computers don't matter if Codetel is throttled back to 220k when you pay for 1.5mb. That's the story here in the mountains for a week now. Fast days, slooooooooow nights.

Alida spent a half hour with a tech on the phone last night going over EVERYTHING on our end, to no avail...but I coulda told them that.

So a tech is supposed to come out today between 9a-5p when THE PROBLEM IS AFTER 6:30pm!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:gre:

It's on THEIR end!!1!1!!1!!!

mOrANs...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Value

That looks just like Apple's user interface. Are Microsoft trying to copy?

Now if you want real computing power, get a Mac! Once you've had Mac, you never go back!
I don't think you want to put your Mac up against my PC.

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/wCD3TOc6jCw&hl=en&fs=1& width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/YlzA7rdrqbU&hl=en&fs=1& width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

PS: That is not a Microsoft icon dock.
It's called Rocket Dock. (free program)
I am not pro or con Mac or Microsoft but I do have a deep appreciation for value and a well chosen PC blows a Mac of the face of the Earth, when it comes to power per dollar.
I have been told that Macs are better built and that may be so, but I don't need an eternal machine.
The rate at which technology advances makes most computers semi obsolete in a few years.
Like I said, I'm not pro or con, I just want the most bang for the buck.

PPS: For the sake of those who may benefit from learning about the effects of a powerful computer on their web surfing experience, we might do better to take any Mac/PC wars to another thread.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
For those of you on slow internet connection, may it be dial-up, 3g (banda ancha, Viva Interjet), or shared lan/wifi, all hope is not lost:

You can easily download and install Opera 10 from here: Opera Browser | Faster & safer Internet | Free Download

It has the "Turbo" function, meaning that pages will load faster under slow connection (you should set Turbo to Automatic).

The downside is that images are not full blown quality, but the speed increase is quite impressive !

If you are still one of the many using an older, slower PC, try it, as it is also quite effective on older hardware... And it is free :)

How to enable it: What is Opera Turbo Mode And How To Enable It?

Reactions: Rocky

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
For those of you on slow internet connection, may it be dial-up, 3g (banda ancha, Viva Interjet), or shared lan/wifi, all hope is not lost:

You can easily download and install Opera 10 from here: Opera Browser | Faster & safer Internet | Free Download

It has the "Turbo" function, meaning that pages will load faster under slow connection (you should set Turbo to Automatic).

The downside is that images are not full blown quality, but the speed increase is quite impressive !

If you are still one of the many using an older, slower PC, try it, as it is also quite effective on older hardware... And it is free :)

How to enable it: What is Opera Turbo Mode And How To Enable It?
There's a good part of the solution.
There's little doubt that IE is the heaviest of the well known internet browsers and choosing a lighter one could help dramatically.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There is a point here

I think that all of us living in the DR would be happy to have more internet speed and in the absence of that, being able to browse faster by any means, be it more power, lighter browsers, etc, is something worth looking at.
Many a time, upon returning a tweaked computer to its owner, I have heard people say, "Oh, I just thought doing so and so took that long".
Heck, we don't even realize ourselves how much time we spend waiting.
When DR internet rush hour comes, the Net can almost come to a standstill.
Let's face it, anyone checking his/her email would rather click on an icon and then begin viewing it rather than sit there waiting for 15 seconds.
We all have better things to do with our time..

Getting the max out of your computer has been discussed and implemented to a certain degree (tweaking thread) but the subject of power machines, has not been broached and although some folks think that it will not do any good if the internet itself is real slow, the proof is in the pudding. (video clips)
The video clips are to illustrate that.
Most of my friends in America have 10 times + the internet speed I have, but I keep up with them with a fast clean powerful computer, except when it comes to big downloads like movies, for example.
Then, it is what it is and there's just not much you can do about it, but browsing around and opening emails, etc, can be greatly improved by having good PC power.
The video clips don't lie.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Best power solution so far.

After trying countless things, from software to hardware and everything in between, the most remarkable results per dollar are achieved from Intel Solid State Drives. (SSD)
I am told Samsung makes super fast SSD's but they are not yet affordable.
Intel 80 gig SSD's cost over 500 bux less than a year ago and up until the end of July this year, $469.
Now that Intel has reduced their SSD X25 prices by 60% and that we can pick them up at around $200, (less than $250 US shipped to the door in the DR) they have become the ultimate solution and the big bonus is that not only will browsing the internet be way more pleasant than before, but everything else you do on the computer will be incredibly faster.
Please feel free to ask any SSD questions you might have.
We have been experimenting with them for a month now and been in touch with the techies at Intel and I think we have a pretty good grip on what they are all about.

May 5, 2007
Your joking, right?

Solid State HD faster than a "platter,"out of the mouths of babes"

welcome to the future Marco :classic:

After trying countless things, from software to hardware and everything in between, the most remarkable results per dollar are achieved from Intel Solid State Drives. (SSD)
I am told Samsung makes super fast SSD's but they are not yet affordable.
Intel 80 gig SSD's cost over 500 bux less than a year ago and up until the end of July this year, $469.
Now that Intel has reduced their SSD X25 prices by 60% and that we can pick them up at around $200, (less than $250 US shipped to the door in the DR) they have become the ultimate solution and the big bonus is that not only will browsing the internet be way more pleasant than before, but everything else you do on the computer will be incredibly faster.
Please feel free to ask any SSD questions you might have.
We have been experimenting with them for a month now and been in touch with the techies at Intel and I think we have a pretty good grip on what they are all about.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Solid State HD faster than a "platter,"out of the mouths of babes"

welcome to the future Marco :classic:
Please do not confuse the NAND Flash SSD's with the cheapo SSD's they put in netbooks which is of the low line thumb drive variety.
They are the two extremes.
The one in the netbooks installs XP in a bit less than 2 hours and the Intel SSD's do it in 15 minutes.
There is no comparison whatsoever, other than both being solid state.

Here are the benchmarks.

The netbook SSD Sequential Write is 4.34 mbps
The Intel SSD Sequential Write is 71.3 mbps (a mere 16 times faster)

The netbook SSD Sequential Read is 19.6
The Intel SSD Sequential Read is 253.9 (Only 13 times faster)

The netbook SSD Random Seek & RW is 0.15
The Intel SSD Random Seek & RW is 102.5 (683 times faster !!!!!)

Netbook SSD = Bicycle
Intel SSD = Ferrari F1 car.

The Intel SSD is worth more than most SSD netbooks, so it is pretty simple to figure out that the netbook's SSD is not the high quality version, in fact, there is nothing slower available in laptops/netbooks, which is why most of them came with Linux, not Windows.
Even and old fashioned 4,200 rpm IDE drive is way faster.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The Real Deal.

Installing an Intel X25 SSD into a laptop or PC will improve its performance way more than the benchmarks can ever show.
It is an astounding difference and if you have a mediocre computer, it can be changed into blistering fast machine, just by changing the mechanical hard drive for a high speed SSD.

RED = Normal 5,400 rpm mechanical laptop hard drive.
BLUE = Intel X25 SSD.
YELLOW = Netbook SSD.
HardDrives.jpg

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Where would you recommend purchasing Intel's X25 SSD?
And, do they have an even faster one available?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Where to buy

A friend has been doing the buying for us, as he has an inexpensive mail/parcel service, I believe it's called Business Mail in POP.
He has been ordering them from a company in Buffalo called Hyper Microsystems.
You will find them selling for up to $400 or more in the US, and the cheapest price is from these guys, at $199 US. I believe they charge $7 US for shipping to Miami and then we pay to have it shipped the rest of the way. Maybe 20 or 30 bux.

As for faster technology, the answer "I think so".
The rumour is this.
The present X25 uses a technology called MLC and Intel has or will release a new one called SLC.
Obviously it will be very expensive as all new tech is, rendering it unaffordable to the average consumer.
Anyhow, the reason the present X25 SSD's can be purchased for so little is because of the SLC technology arriving on the market.
-60% is a heck of a deal and I could care less if there is something a bit faster.
At this point, the computer bottlenecks elsewhere.
The SSD is so fast that it can handle everything I can throw at it.
If I wanted yet more speed, I would have to do something else, rather than get a faster hard drive.

May 5, 2007
One sign of an intelligent man is the ability to recognize change and embrace it.

I think you will be very happy using the SSD machines,, the near "indestructible" nature of the drive and it's ability to operate in any extreme is a nice bonus

For a "quick" demo of the speed differences, try copying a High def movie on the drive and compare to even a Velociraptor Platter, unbelievable

BTW, this is a Netbook I have been using (I believe I told you about it some months ago?), albeit a very expensive one.

Using XP it was "so so" with the TDK SSD, but installing Windows 7 which has architecture for gaining full use of the SSD, it is faster than most if not all platters. I'm sure it would be even faster with the new Intel drive that has been plastered all over the Internet, but when I bought this machine the SS 25 was not available (At least not at a reasonable price) so at $700 this was a great machine

Please do not confuse the NAND Flash SSD's with the cheapo SSD's they put in netbooks which is of the low line thumb drive variety.
They are the two extremes.
The one in the netbooks installs XP in a bit less than 2 hours and the Intel SSD's do it in 15 minutes.
There is no comparison whatsoever, other than both being solid state.

Here are the benchmarks.

The netbook SSD Sequential Write is 4.34 mbps
The Intel SSD Sequential Write is 71.3 mbps (a mere 16 times faster)

The netbook SSD Sequential Read is 19.6
The Intel SSD Sequential Read is 253.9 (Only 13 times faster)

The netbook SSD Random Seek & RW is 0.15
The Intel SSD Random Seek & RW is 102.5 (683 times faster !!!!!)

Netbook SSD = Bicycle
Intel SSD = Ferrari F1 car.

The Intel SSD is worth more than most SSD netbooks, so it is pretty simple to figure out that the netbook's SSD is not the high quality version, in fact, there is nothing slower available in laptops/netbooks, which is why most of them came with Linux, not Windows.
Even and old fashioned 4,200 rpm IDE drive is way faster.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
One sign of an intelligent man is the ability to recognize change and embrace it.

I think you will be very happy using the SSD machines,, the near "indestructible" nature of the drive and it's ability to operate in any extreme is a nice bonus

For a "quick" demo of the speed differences, try copying a High def movie on the drive and compare to even a Velociraptor Platter, unbelievable

BTW, this is a Netbook I have been using (I believe I told you about it some months ago?), albeit a very expensive one.

Using XP it was "so so" with the TDK SSD, but installing Windows 7 which has architecture for gaining full use of the SSD, it is faster than most if not all platters. I'm sure it would be even faster with the new Intel drive that has been plastered all over the Internet, but when I bought this machine the SS 25 was not available (At least not at a reasonable price) so at $700 this was a great machine
I thought you bought the Dell Mini 10.
I didn't know that Dell had a $700 netbook with a beefed up SSD.
Which model is it?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
mac_snow.jpg

Equals... a F22 Raptor, that is not only incredibly fast, but it has amazing looks and build quality.
Plus it's easy to use and doesn't break down ;)

Carry on... hehehe