codetel problems today?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Have had a problem, especally in the evenings, for over a week now.

About 20% speed download.

Feb 7, 2007
Very slow here too. On Rapidshare I am getting less than 10 kbps.
On microsoft download site I get about 180 kbps.
On speakeasy speedtest I get 150-250 kbps.

I have 768.

Yesterday, at the office, the connection was so bad (during business hours) that I could not make VOIP calls which need only 10 kbps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: Spoke with Codetel, they say they have a problem with fiber-optic line, that started early this afternoon. They have ETR for late tonight.

Last edited:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Very slow here too. On Rapidshare I am getting less than 10 kbps.
On microsoft download site I get about 180 kbps.
On speakeasy speedtest I get 150-250 kbps.

I have 768.

Yesterday, at the office, the connection was so bad (during business hours) that I could not make VOIP calls which need only 10 kbps.

Update: Spoke with Codetel, they say they have a problem with fiber-optic line, that started early this afternoon. They have ETR for late tonight.

I thought voip needed a lot more than 10 kbps, what voip do you use? Thanks

Feb 7, 2007
I thought voip needed a lot more than 10 kbps, what voip do you use? Thanks

G729a and b codecs require less than 10 kbps G.729 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most VOIP providers (less Vonage) use g729 codec because it needs much less bandwidth. Vonage uses G711 which need 64 kbps (the same as regular voice channel on POTS). From the US providers, Lingo for example, uses g729 as a preferred codec.

Nowadays, it's not that much the bandwidth that matters, but latency. For example, g711 (requires more bandwidth) also can "afford" more latency - less time spent coding/decoding the compression - so more latency on the transit route can be supported. With g729 and other compression codecs, you need low latency, because there is time spend coding and decoding, so if you have latency, that time added to the encode/decode time creates a delay.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
my internet today is about 15% of normal speed..

anyone else seeing the same? i rebooted my router, etc, it continues the same. :-(