Auto Import

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Simple question. I have a good friend in the used car business. He can find me a small SUV, Kia, Hyundi or whatever at wholesale prices. If I can purchase a 2006 SUV for $5000 or so would it then be worth importing it to the DR as opposed to buying one in the DR that would be much more expensive?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Rules

Simple question. I have a good friend in the used car business. He can find me a small SUV, Kia, Hyundi or whatever at wholesale prices. If I can purchase a 2006 SUV for $5000 or so would it then be worth importing it to the DR as opposed to buying one in the DR that would be much more expensive?

What you pay for your car in the USA has NO impact on the importation fees and taxes.

The Aduana has their own price list and apply it to your importation.. regardless of all other things.

Unless you have the chance to get exoneration.. just swallow hard!!

WW

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
You may want to spend some time playing with this forum's own search function. My guess is, you will find a lot of threads on this very subject and maybe also come to the conclusion that the concesus opinion is that yes, it can be done, but at the risk of a little discount, once it's all said and done, while also carrying the risk of it all turning into nothing but aggravation, disgust and a monetary loss.

Now, let me add something specific to your post.
You may also find that it is this forum's prevalent opinion that this is NOT the ideal Hyundai or Kia country. None of these brands models have managed to establish themselves here as a success. Since, parts are few and expensive.

You may want to re-center you search on locally popular Toyota or Honda vehicles. Keep also in mind that especially Toyota has a line of vehicles which are especially built for Latin American and Asian markets. They have simpler electronics and engines using lower octane fuels and generally less sensitive to impurities etc. So, some Toyota or Honda vehicles you may find in the US, would actually come in "exotic" power train trims when compared to what is on the road here, again potentially putting you into a waiting line should ever anything happen to it.

... J-D.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
What you pay for your car in the USA has NO impact on the importation fees and taxes.

The Aduana has their own price list and apply it to your importation.. regardless of all other things.

WW

I understand that what I pay has no impact on the tax and fees... but it does have an impact on what my total final costs would be. If I pay $12,000 for a car and they tax it on that amount, not because that is what I paid but because that is the tax on the type of vehicle, then my total costs is $7000 more than if I pay $5000 for the same vehicle and it is taxed at $12,000 rate. If that same type of vehicle costs $12000 or more in the Dominican Republic it would seem that a person could save some money if they can buy the car very cheaply to start. Just wondering. And I understand about the kia not being popular and therefore harder to get parts ect. The figures I am using are for discussion purposes only, nothing more.