For those who plan to buy a car

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Fello DR1 members,

I have almost a month more left on my CarFax.com account.
If you plan to buy a car that was imported from the US I'll be glad to run a check on it for free.
I recently had a customer of mine who where going to buy a nice 2005 Volvo with only 31000 miles in it. When I run a check on the car we figured it had 97800! miles in the odometer when it was imported back in February!!!
BE AWARE of this scam of used car dealers!
If you want me to run a check on the car I'll need the correct VIN#.
I can do this till the 15th of October.

The Hun

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

carib

Jul 16, 2002
used cars..... scrap

Carfax is great. I used it in 2004 while shopping for a used car in Santiago and Puerta Plata, Moca, etc. After a couple months I gave up and bought a new car. I think used cars are way overpriced. For example, I found a beautiful Camery really beautiful car. When I checked Carfax I found it was wrecked in New Jersey, sold as salvage with a scrap title, went to Florida then ?xported to the Dominican Republic". The dealer wanted big bucks for that scrap.
BE careful !!!!!!!!
carib

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Fello DR1 members,

I have almost a month more left on my CarFax.com account.
If you plan to buy a car that was imported from the US I'll be glad to run a check on it for free.
I recently had a customer of mine who where going to buy a nice 2005 Volvo with only 31000 miles in it. When I run a check on the car we figured it had 97800! miles in the odometer when it was imported back in February!!!
BE AWARE of this scam of used car dealers!
If you want me to run a check on the car I'll need the correct VIN#.
I can do this till the 15th of October.

The Hun

A very respectable and nobel gesture of good will and generocity! An example to follow.

Can you check this little old pontiac please?

3G2JB5245WS840714

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
make them come and see you in your shop to get the carfax check, not just giving it away online. then continue to run free carfax checks year round. this way it becomes a way to build relationships with potential customers. and its good for the potential customers since they get to meet you and see what you are like.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
998 PONTIAC SUNFIRE SE
VIN: 3G2JB5245WS840714
SEDAN 4 DR
2.2L L4 FI SOHC 8V
FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

5/26/1998 Vehicle Exporter Vehicle exported from Miami, FL
and imported to Dominican Republic
Mileage:

Looks like this car was imported as a brand new car, there is no mileage record at all. No registration history in the US, no accident or any damage record.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
998 PONTIAC SUNFIRE SE
VIN: 3G2JB5245WS840714
SEDAN 4 DR
2.2L L4 FI SOHC 8V
FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

5/26/1998 Vehicle Exporter Vehicle exported from Miami, FL
and imported to Dominican Republic
Mileage:

Looks like this car was imported as a brand new car, there is no mileage record at all. No registration history in the US, no accident or any damage record.

Thank you TheHun!

With God`s help hopefully I`ll be able to do something for you too. And also for free. And without a condition of coming to my shop for a sales pitch first.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Afgan,

I'm glad if I could help. If you have an other car to check just let me know.

The Hun

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Bottom Feeder?

make them come and see you in your shop to get the carfax check, not just giving it away online. then continue to run free carfax checks year round. this way it becomes a way to build relationships with potential customers. and its good for the potential customers since they get to meet you and see what you are like.

Why would you suggest something to inconvenience people?

It sounds like TheHun is offering this because he is a nice guy, not to prop up sales.

The Hun has helped me diagnose problems with my car via PM, and never asked for a dime. Surely if I lived in Santiago, I would drop by his shop.

I think he will survive without your business advice. :ninja:

TheHun

May 4, 2008
do you ever go to Santo Domingo?

How often on average?

When next time please?

I don't go too often, maybe once in every 2-3 months.
Next week I might need to go to Punta Cana to pick up a friend, so I'll pass through SD.

The Hun

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Wow! I got quite few PM's to check VIN's with a stunning results!
Out of 7 cars only 2 where showing the correct mileage after imported here!
And some where rolled back over 100K miles. It's unbelievable!
Please use the carfax before you buy a car here. Least you can check the ones from the US.
Can you imagine your loss when your odometer shows 35,000 miles, but really you have 95,000 and your car is due for a timing belt at 100,000?
You keep driving your "low mileage" car at night on the highway and your timing belt breaks, and you will have a US$ 3-5000- or even higher damage...
And of course it always happens at the worst possible place and time.

The Hun

And no, I'm not affiliated with carfax at all.

Reactions: Celt202

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Bought a Mitsubishi here that had 41K miles on it. CarFax said it had 70K when it left the states 4 years ago. Liked the car and bought it anyway. (broken timing belt won't lunch the engine on this model) Amazing what some people think they can get away with here!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend cancelled a car buy last year when Car Fax showed it been rolled back almost 100k.
The amazing thing is that the car looked like the lower miles.... spotless... a very believable fake.

Nov 25, 2008
Thanks for the offer

I am in the market for a pickup, seen a lot [Santiago] of cosmetic surgery on cars here but will definite take you up on the offer
thanks

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I am in the market for a pickup, seen a lot [Santiago] of cosmetic surgery on cars here but will definite take you up on the offer
thanks

George,

Anytime, Sir!
Just e-mail or call me with the VIN#.

So far I've got 2 more with a serious roll-back.

2 cars with OK miles and 7 cars with roll-backs.

The 2 cars where privately imported and sold here. (which is not really legal, Aduana said I need to keep my car for 3 years or otherwise they will charge me the "discounted" part of the duty!)

Keep them coming, I have about 2 more weeks on the subscription.

The Hun

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
In line with what I found thru carfax when I was buying.
I only checked 4 cars... but up to 50,000 miles fewer showing on odometer than when exported from u.s.

Also, I was checking where the cars had come from. Two had been registered in the northeast U.S. for most of their existence & I didn't want the likely winter-based rust problems that came with them.

Very happy after 18 months with the one I chose & I DO believe carfax was worth the money spent.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
In line with what I found thru carfax when I was buying.
I only checked 4 cars... but up to 50,000 miles fewer showing on odometer than when exported from u.s.

Also, I was checking where the cars had come from. Two had been registered in the northeast U.S. for most of their existence & I didn't want the likely winter-based rust problems that came with them.

Very happy after 18 months with the one I chose & I DO believe carfax was worth the money spent.

I absolutely agree with you - it is worth the money.
The worst roll-back so far 108,000 miles!! Car was bought here with 51K and imported with 159K!! You really could not tell though.
Most has around 50K - 70K "deducted".
I wonder what the @$$#*!% dealers would say when you put the records in front of them.

The Hun