UFFF, so many expat con-artists in DR now.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was called by my secretary to hurry back to office because there is a foreign man who wants to see me. So I hurry back and sure enough there was an older man drinking tea in our clinic, sitting comfortably and being pampered by the staff. He then walks into my office and shakes my hand with a sincere smile. Tells me he is from Holland. Then he starts to talk to me about USA, pakistan and other stuff. He tells me he livesin la romana and is working with some organization as a medical doctor. He has worked in haiti as well. He talked about many subjects and deviated all over in conversation. Always had a sincere smile and very friendly attitude. Then I had to interrupt him to ask for his reason for the visit. I was expecting he would talk about his back pain. To my surprise, he tells me he was just robbed about a block away. Guys took his money and even his passport. He has no way to return to la romana. If I would lend him some money he would definitely return from la romana to give my money back. he has to return anyway tomorrow (saturday) to get a new passport from the embassy.
I laughed while I was still trying to comprehend the situation. He didn't look upset or even shaken from the robbery incident. hahahaha. This is when I noticed he was a bit filthy as well (dirty jeans etc). I knew he was a con-man and I had seen his kind before in santiago. there are at least 3 different guys in santiago who are claiming the same story. These foreign men look for people with foreign sounding names. He saw my sign outside the clinic and he walked in. I think he told me his name is Adrian. Must be in late 50's or early 60's, blue eyes and slim in weight.
watch out for him.
AZB

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
You did well to spot the con AZB. These slime balls can be very convincing, that's why it's called a confidence trick. There are so many people here that genuinly need help, and I'm not referring to ex-pats, that I would like to see these con men get a real taste of what they're claiming!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
He is so convincing and cool and sincere in his outlook towards you that you would feel ashamed not to help him. Fortunately, I have seen his kind before with similar if not exact story. After he was gone and all, I came to realize, he was not shaken up at all. Nor he tried to call the police or asked me for any type of police help. Didn't want to use my phone to call anyone. nothing of that sort. He was very cool during the whole visit. I would have never thought he was robbed. Hahahaha.
AZB

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
He is so convincing and cool and sincere in his outlook towards you that you would feel ashamed not to help him. Fortunately, I have seen his kind before with similar if not exact story. After he was gone and all, I came to realize, he was not shaken up at all. Nor he tried to call the police or asked me for any type of police help. Didn't want to use my phone to call anyone. nothing of that sort. He was very cool during the whole visit. I would have never thought he was robbed. Hahahaha.
AZB

If there is any poetic justice in the world, the next time he goes out of his house he will get set upon by two large thugs who will take every penny and leave him in the state he was claiming for real! Am I a bad person for wishing that in him? I think not ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Dutch Vice Consul in Puerto Plata, Mr. G.E.Wijnbelt, for services to Dutch nationals residing in the provinces of Puerto Plata, Santiago, Espaillat, Valverde and Montecristi. I believe he can be contacted at the General Air Services office of Puerto Plata airport Tel. 809-320-8100 Cel. 809-710-1774 Fax: 809-586-0534. The Embassy is in Piantini, SD.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
AZB!

Where's was your camera phone when you really needed it? :confused:

Our: On the road with AZB (Unofficial Dr1 news reporter)
We might have to Unofficially demote you!!!! ;) lol

Don

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
There is another one, a younger guy (30s) that stays around Las Carreras and Calle del Sol...he has only asked me to buy him food but I feel that he is working his way up as everytime that I am on either of these streets he seems to always spots me. He speaks perfect English wothout a hispanic accent but looks Dominican. He says that he was deported from the USA for non-payment of child support. He has caught me at McDonald's twice and once as I was entering Pizza Hut with my children. The employees of Pizza Hut wouldn't let him in and even though I tried to sit on the other side of the restaurant, he just walked around tapping on the window. I was embarrassed so I had them give him a Personal Pizza. I'm getting sick of him but what do I do? Not shop?
SHALENA

May 12, 2005
There is another one, a younger guy (30s) that stays around Las Carreras and Calle del Sol...he has only asked me to buy him food but I feel that he is working his way up as everytime that I am on either of these streets he seems to always spots me. He speaks perfect English wothout a hispanic accent but looks Dominican. He says that he was deported from the USA for non-payment of child support. He has caught me at McDonald's twice and once as I was entering Pizza Hut with my children. The employees of Pizza Hut wouldn't let him in and even though I tried to sit on the other side of the restaurant, he just walked around tapping on the window. I was embarrassed so I had them give him a Personal Pizza. I'm getting sick of him but what do I do? Not shop?
SHALENA

Just ignore him. He'll go away eventually, or just order some extra food you know you won't eat and just throw it in the garbage right in front of him with a big smile on your face.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Living in this country forces you to have thick skin, weary eyes and an untrusting demeanor.

Deported from the US for non payment of support??? This is a new one!!
I can't stop laughing.....what will they come up with next?
Deported to this country from the bank over a late morgage payment?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You are being taken in Shalena!

Just tell him to get lost, or he will hound you to death.(Like he's already doing)
There was one years ago that always tried to talk with me, he spoke perfect English.

I ALWAYS refused to give him anything.

One sign of weakness and you are toast with these people.
You just proved that with your statement.
I was embarrassed so I had them give him a Personal Pizza.
Now he knows if he keeps it up you will give in.
You are on his sucker list forever.

There is one guy that hangs at the corner across from KFC at 27th de Feb and Estrella Sadhala. He has no handicap, just walks up to the car window, says nothing and holds his hand out.

He knows some sucker will give him money.

I was waiting for a friend outside Pollo Victorina down the street, he was outside counting his money and then went inside to get paper money for the change. I watched him do it.

They make more money then some working Dominicans.
Think about it, the police make just over $200 pesos a day from what I read on a DR1 post.
This guy cashed in more than that, and it was only around noon time.

Those coins get pretty heavy in ones pocket!

Don

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Deported because he failed to pay child support? Wonderful , he doesn't take care of his obligations and wants others to take care of his problems. Talk about scum of the earth.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
SHALENA

HAHAHA!!! I ran into the same guy. I landed in Santiago and was headed to La Vega, but before that I was taken to Pizza Hut and then the Monument.

The guy comes over and in perfect english explains himself. He didn't want money, just something to eat and tells me he was deported for non-payment of child support.

He must be good at it if he's still doing it. What an a-hole.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
A few years back I was in Plaza Acropolis and an american guy fitting AZBs description walked up to me almost in tear saying he was robbed outside. He said they punched him in the head breaking his glasses and took all his money etc. He just needed 300 pesos to get back to his hotel.

My radar went up and I said he can use my phone to call police. He said they would not do anything which of course is true. I was unemployed at the time and a night out at Fridays with an amiga was going to stress my budget as it is.

I gave him the 300 pesos because I thought one of two things would happen:

1-he was a scam artist and I would be out bucks.

2- he was telling the truth and I left him stranded over 10 bucks

I saw the same guy a few times in santiago at Hotel Colonial and he always looked somewhat drunk. . . . . . .

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
SHALENA
I had a guy like that follow me around Jarabacoa for a couple of weeks.

I confronted him and called him out loudly so people could see. "You say one word or come within 10 feet of me, I'll have your sorry ass beaten in jail. You don't know who I am! Leave me the F@$^ alone!"

He left me alone. I am a large human, however.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
SHALENA

I think I know him. He is was in american jail on drug charges or something. He is skinny and watches cars on the street for tips. He claims he makes more money on the street than working a regular job. he is a junkie. Stay away from him. Once you talk to him, he will always spot you anywhere from far away and ask you for money.
AZB