Another doggie problem... what to do?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
A 'rather strange' neighbour of ours has acquired a very beautiful Dobermann. He has had her a couple of months and she is starting to show signs of deterioration in condition and weight loss. We have been told that he would like to 'sell' her but that is unconfirmed with the owner at present.

However, almost 18 months ago he brought us a Rottweiler which we had been asking him to reliquish for months, and she was almost at death's door when he delivered her in his old truck as she was too damaged and weak to walk - with much effort we returned her to some health and quality of life before making the decision to euthanise her at the end of July.

After he allowed us to take over and care for Peggy (the Rottie), he got a white Pitbull type dog of which he seems quite fond and it looks fed and healthy.

We cannot add another large bitch to the 10 dogs we already have here but I am loathed to see this gorgeous dog (the Dobermann) deteriorate as we drive past her every time we leave home. She appears to be quite a 'gentle giant' but I have no real idea of her temperament. What to do? I just don't know, any recommendations/ suggestions?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
This type of situation always makes me crazier than usual. I lost my "boy", two years ago here, and when I see a beautiful animal not being cared for... well I am sure all you dog people know. We simply cannot manage a dog of that size as we are in a condo and the resident dog & cat already wish they had been only children....
I know this is not offering a solution, only commiserating.... perhaps she could disappear to another home, if someone is willing to have her... dogs do go missing here.. as you well know. It is such a tragedy to have them neglected...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We have to restrain ourselves from adopting all the dogs and cats that need a good home.

It's very sad, indeed. I don't know what the answer is.

May 5, 2007
This may sound terrible as the owner may "love" the dog in his own way, but given the history you present, I think I would get some assistance and "Dognap" the poor doomed critter and try to remove him to another section of the island

Some dogs more than others, Dobermans especially, do not do well with out a "bonded" Master

A 'rather strange' neighbour of ours has acquired a very beautiful Dobermann. He has had her a couple of months and she is starting to show signs of deterioration in condition and weight loss. We have been told that he would like to 'sell' her but that is unconfirmed with the owner at present.

However, almost 18 months ago he brought us a Rottweiler which we had been asking him to reliquish for months, and she was almost at death's door when he delivered her in his old truck as she was too damaged and weak to walk - with much effort we returned her to some health and quality of life before making the decision to euthanise her at the end of July.

After he allowed us to take over and care for Peggy (the Rottie), he got a white Pitbull type dog of which he seems quite fond and it looks fed and healthy.

We cannot add another large bitch to the 10 dogs we already have here but I am loathed to see this gorgeous dog (the Dobermann) deteriorate as we drive past her every time we leave home. She appears to be quite a 'gentle giant' but I have no real idea of her temperament. What to do? I just don't know, any recommendations/ suggestions?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Indeed, none of us can adopt them all but it is also very hard to stand by and watch, on a daily basis, a beautiful specimen pure-bred dog go downhill without making some effort to do something.

'Dognapping' is not an option and I would not condone that anyway as I think, as I said in my original post, that he will be prepared to sell the dog and he is a member of the large Dominican family who live in a number of small houses along the track which leads to our home. Perhaps he is 'rather strange', as I previously described, due to the fact that there is a bullet lodged in his head from when he shot himself in the eye when cleaning a gun some years ago. He has his own small casita away from the rest of his family now but he does again now join in with certain family activities from which he was 'banned' some time ago.

If I can somehow acquire her from him I just hope that someone will be prepared to take her on and treat her well. She looks to be a young dog and almost certainly is not spayed so it's probably only a matter of time before one of the local dogs makes her pregnant - another disaster waiting to happen!!

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I have to agree with PIG, there is only so much one can do.
Anybody that has lived here long enough knows the situation concerning animals in unfortunate, unhealthy environments. Its ALL over the country. It is sad and absolutely horrifying.
It is no wonder that most ex-pats that make this island their home eventually take in/ save many animals that are in neglected situations, too provide a loving and caring home for them. But, we can only do so much.
Animal control officer's would be welcomed in my view, or an organization that penalizes abusive pet owners to the maximum. But how can that be done, when it is so saturated in society. It's about as good as having "helmet officers" for the moto's.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I am not living here for a long time but I only can say...try to ignore it if you can, there is indeed so much you can do. If you feel that you cannot ignore it, try to get the dog from him fro free if possible (paying will only give him the idea that he can make a living of it). Dobermans are very sensitive creatures and I can imagine that in this particular case the dog is just fading away due to lack of attention and care...
There is a volunteer shelter in Las Terrenas where maybe the dog can find a new home...sorry that I cannot do anything more, I restrain myself to take in dogs as I have enough dogs of my own already and I am not prepared to be a shelter for those unfortunate dogs how much I love dogs but my occupation and sport and common sense must speak instead of my hart how cruel that may sound...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Whilst I fully agree that there is only so much that one individual can do and so many dogs that one can adopt before becoming overrun and unable to foot the feed bill, I do not agree that the plight of any unfortunate animal should be ignored. To try to achieve a better life for the dog/ cat/ horse that one regularly sees and thereby stop the deterioration of its health and fitness is a responsibility which I feel I have and that cannot be changed.

Judy's Pet Lodge is full of unwanted, lovely dogs seeking new owners and, therefore I did not want to acquire this Dobermann and pass her on to Judy for re-homing. The work and time given by the directors, visiting vets and volunteers at AAAS is given freely by those who believe, as I do, that anything we can do to achieve a better life for the animals which cross our paths has to be worthwhile. The incredible spay/ neuter programme which has been developed by AAAS has, and continues to make a huge difference to the indiscriminate breeding on the North coast.

There is no 'official policing' here of the way that pets are kept and not likely to be so in the forseeable future so, it is down to us who can spare the time and the energy to try to make a difference and, although we are not going to solve any problems overnight, every little effort can help in the great scheme of things.

I hope to be able to post good news regarding the Dobermann bitch soon as have already received a response via PM offering her a home when, and if, I can get the present owner to relinquish her so, watch this space.......

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Have you considered discretely offering him to help take care of the dog? Obviously it would represent a monetary expense and time to you but if he could keep the dog and you would help him take better care of her, would that help solve the dilemma? I've seen a lot of people just plain ignorant on how to properly take care of animals in general and like you stated, maybe his state of mind is not the best to take care of another being. For some, it's normal that an animal only get water once a day, in spite of the hot weather and sweltering heat. Others just plain can't afford to get their animals vaccinated, dewormed, etc. The cruel reality is that many can't even afford to keep their family fed and healthy, much less their animals!

On the other hand I do have to say that I've personally seen a big improvement over the past 13 years. It used to be A LOT worse. Animals back then were rarely considered companions and vet clinics were not as common. Yes, the country still has a long way to go before it can say that animals in general are being well taken care of but at least some people are starting to learn another way of treating our four-legged friends :squareeye

P.S. If I didn't already have a 85lbs Rottie and a Chihuahua in my little house, I would love to take her in!! Or maybe I could get a larger house.... food for thought...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Have you considered discretely offering him to help take care of the dog? Obviously it would represent a monetary expense and time to you but if he could keep the dog and you would help him take better care of her, would that help solve the dilemma? I've seen a lot of people just plain ignorant on how to properly take care of animals in general and like you stated, maybe his state of mind is not the best to take care of another being. For some, it's normal that an animal only get water once a day, in spite of the hot weather and sweltering heat. Others just plain can't afford to get their animals vaccinated, dewormed, etc. The cruel reality is that many can't even afford to keep their family fed and healthy, much less their animals!

On the other hand I do have to say that I've personally seen a big improvement over the past 13 years. It used to be A LOT worse. Animals back then were rarely considered companions and vet clinics were not as common. Yes, the country still has a long way to go before it can say that animals in general are being well taken care of but at least some people are starting to learn another way of treating our four-legged friends :squareeye

P.S. If I didn't already have a 85lbs Rottie and a Chihuahua in my little house, I would love to take her in!! Or maybe I could get a larger house.... food for thought...

Like the idea of you getting a bigger house to accommodate pets lol!!

We considered the idea of contributing food etc. with the previous Rottie but without actually feeding it to the dog every day it would not be a viable solution. He has no family to support and lives 'solo', doesn't have a 'proper job' and we know that if we gave him money, it would not be spent on dog food or medication so that is really not an option in this case.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Just ignore it and it will go away - a good way to deal with all of lifes problems - NOT!

I am not living here for a long time but I only can say...try to ignore it if you can, there is indeed so much you can do. If you feel that you cannot ignore it, try to get the dog from him fro free if possible (paying will only give him the idea that he can make a living of it). Dobermans are very sensitive creatures and I can imagine that in this particular case the dog is just fading away due to lack of attention and care...
There is a volunteer shelter in Las Terrenas where maybe the dog can find a new home...sorry that I cannot do anything more, I restrain myself to take in dogs as I have enough dogs of my own already and I am not prepared to be a shelter for those unfortunate dogs how much I love dogs but my occupation and sport and common sense must speak instead of my hart how cruel that may sound...

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Well said...tom

Whilst I fully agree that there is only so much that one individual can do and so many dogs that one can adopt before becoming overrun and unable to foot the feed bill, I do not agree that the plight of any unfortunate animal should be ignored. To try to achieve a better life for the dog/ cat/ horse that one regularly sees and thereby stop the deterioration of its health and fitness is a responsibility which I feel I have and that cannot be changed.

Judy's Pet Lodge is full of unwanted, lovely dogs seeking new owners and, therefore I did not want to acquire this Dobermann and pass her on to Judy for re-homing. The work and time given by the directors, visiting vets and volunteers at AAAS is given freely by those who believe, as I do, that anything we can do to achieve a better life for the animals which cross our paths has to be worthwhile. The incredible spay/ neuter programme which has been developed by AAAS has, and continues to make a huge difference to the indiscriminate breeding on the North coast.

There is no 'official policing' here of the way that pets are kept and not likely to be so in the forseeable future so, it is down to us who can spare the time and the energy to try to make a difference and, although we are not going to solve any problems overnight, every little effort can help in the great scheme of things.

I hope to be able to post good news regarding the Dobermann bitch soon as have already received a response via PM offering her a home when, and if, I can get the present owner to relinquish her so, watch this space.......

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I so admire all of you who put your hearts and souls, not to mention time & money, into constantly improving the lives of all animals. When we first arrived here I was in shock at the number of homeless animals, and even in a couple of years have seen a vast difference in the care and numbers. Thanks no doubt to all the hard work put in by volunteers to spay & neuter and educate. With so much negativity going around, this is a positive.... there is always hope when you can change one animals life.
One step at a time, and if we all do what we can... however small it seems, actions beat inaction everytime... Will be looking for the best possible news... and thanks!!!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Don't get me wrong. I fully appreciate the effort from people who are willing to do something for this unfortunate dogs and the program of trying to find a new home, spaying and nutering has my full support.
However I feel obliged to speak out my mind that until there is no real "education" of the Dominican people how to nurser and care for dogs, cats and other animals, as long as their basic thoughts about this is not changed...no real changes will happen.
Ofcourse this is a slow process that will take generations to grow that awareness and I can only support the people who are working on this to give it a go to try to make that difference.
I have myself two dogs in my pack who are not from my own breeding or not bought from well known breeders, one aussie who I rescued from a animal shop in Belgium (he was on "sale" so you can imagine that he had no long time left) and a mix border collie/malteser who I took in from an animal shelter. Both dogs have their history they carry with them which makes them unsuitable for the dog sports I practice, nevertheless, they are equally loved and cared for as my sport dogs.
Sport dogs like my labrador who is now almost 13 live their life with us and he can enjoy playing with the other dogs and enjoy his retirement in full.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Ok, stage 1 is completed. We are now the owners of said Dobermann who we learn is called Luca. We have been told that she is in the region of 4 years old, is very tall and handsome although distinctly underweight at the moment but apart from that she seems fit and healthy. A good bath and treatment for parasites/ fleas will be in order for her tomorrow morning when she has relaxed a bit in a new environment. Her Dominican owner admitted that he could not deal with her appetite and, although he required remuneration to relinquish her, it was a mere token to acquire such a beautiful creature.

She was not too keen to stand still to have her photo taken though!

2s7e0eb.jpg

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Lol... couldn't help falling for her, could you? It's a good thing I didn't see her in person or I would have done the same!! Good for you, she deserves a good home.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Just ignore it and it will go away - a good way to deal with all of lifes problems - NOT!

First of all, I would like to congratulate whirleybird on the beautifull doberman she acquired. She looks like a beautiful animal, undernourished like you say, and in need of a lot of tender and loving care.

Please do not take offence, if I say I resent the above quote from twhitehead. Both Acira and myself are great dog-lovers, and our hearts bleed everytime we see a dog in need. We ourselves rescued an abused Australian Shepherd from certain death, and have adopted several animals in the past from shelters. We have even gone as far as to sue buyers (at a considerable expense) from one of our pups, who were not treating her well in the hope of getting her back. Nevertheless we soon learned it is impossible to rescue all unfortunate animals in this world, and that there are lots of people taking advantage of animal-lovers. So, I think the above quote is completely misplaced and torn out of context.

Whirleybird... bless you for your good heart, and, if you would need some help in correcting undesired behavior in your lovely dob, we will be happy to offer any help possible, free of charge.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
If she turns out to be well trained, or trainable, and if you think that she could adapt to city life, I know a family here.... American woman with two kids who is a great dog person and is or will be in the near future, looking for a well trained older dog. Her children are young and so she does not feel up to raising a puppy. She has had large dogs before and would be a very good and responsible owner.

Of course, I am sure that you will have lots of offers, once she is well fed and you know her temperament better.

GOOD FOR YOU!! WELL DONE!