I want to teach in Dominican - Will work for free

scarjay

Sep 20, 2009
I love the Dominican and have spent a number of months there over the last year living in resorts.. i find myself returning again for the 6th time this year and began to think about getting involved in the community. I dont have a teaching degree, i am 29 years old and have been in business for myself for 10 years so I have a string business mind and am financially ok so I dont need to even get paid. I am looking to commit to something rewarding, any suggestions... I would love to teach in a school or do rewarding community work.. Please, if you have any ideas, contact me.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I love the Dominican and have spent a number of months there over the last year living in resorts.. .....

Try living outside of resorts for 6 months and then tell us if you remain equally enthused.

The differences in DR between real life and resort life are like night and day.

Reactions: drloca

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I love the Dominican and have spent a number of months there over the last year living in resorts.. i find myself returning again for the 6th time this year and began to think about getting involved in the community. I dont have a teaching degree, i am 29 years old and have been in business for myself for 10 years so I have a string business mind and am financially ok so I dont need to even get paid. I am looking to commit to something rewarding, any suggestions... I would love to teach in a school or do rewarding community work.. Please, if you have any ideas, contact me.
Which Dominican do you love???
SHALENA

Reactions: MikeFisher

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I dont see a problem if you are doing it for free at home .......Dont think you would be too popular doing it for free iin a school though,you would be taking away someones job

Reactions: MikeFisher

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1, scarjay.

You could teach in Dominican, but it would be better if you taught in Spanish or English. :)

There are orphanages in several areas of the Dominican Republic (or the DR for short) where volunteers are welcome. You could also offer your services as a volunteer teacher independently once you have established contacts and networks wherever you end up settling.

Start by doing a search on the site for volunteering opportunities, orphanages, charities, etc.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

What is unclear here, is or are your teaching credentials. Are you a teacher. I ask, because quite often we see people coming here who seem to think that because they speak their home language -usually English- they have an edge of so many here. Teacher go to schools, sometimes even university here too. The ministry of Education supposedly is controlling that teachers in schools ARE qualified. But then too, this IS the DR and not everything is being followed exactly. In other words, IF you really have some proven teaching qualifications and capabilities, and don't step on somebody's toes, as JR suggested, I am quite sure you WILL find a place where you can offer you time and effort in a productive and satisfying way.

I would suggest that as a first step, you seek and contact organizations in your home country and here, which already are active in helping in the education process here and ask them if they have use for you.

... J-D.