Breach of Contract

Lauren Cornford

Jun 12, 2009
To cut a long story short, my boyfriend and I have been given a letter telling us we are to attend court in Higuey on Friday. We own a Gift Shop on a Plaza (strip of beach) in Uvero Alto and have apparently breached our contract with the Plaza which is why we've now been taken to court.

The letter was delivered to us by the Politur in Uvero Ato (they had apparently been asked to deliver it to us from the Higuey office). The letter says we have violated an article in our contract. The article is: No animals to be kept on the Plaza permanently.

We own a 9 month old puppy who we bring to the shop about 3 - 4 times a week. He is a domestic animal who is always on a leash and tied up outside the shop. He is hidden behind a rack of paintings and usually spends the day asleep. Before we bought the shop we asked the other owners of shops on the Plaza whether they minded us bringing our dog - they are a married couple who own 2 seperate shops and their answer was no, they did not mind. We asked the question more out of politeness as as far as we were concerned we had alright read the contract which stated that animals could not be there permanently. As I mentioned, our dog comes 3 - 4 times a week which we don't consider to be permanently. He does not sleep on the Plaza.

We bought the shop in April and have been bringing our dog with us since. We never had an issue until about 2 months ago. 2 months ago we were approached by one of the other shop owners and told we could no longer bring our dog with us. The lady in question is a member of the family who owns the parcel of land we are on, and although her mother is the person we have the contract with, this lady considers herself to be the representative of the owners and therefore deals with any "issues".

Once we started discussing it we were told that the issue was not in fact with our dog specifically. Another shop had been sold to 2 ladies who stated they wanted to bring 2 parrots to the beach with them to hang outside their shop (as a sales ploy). The "rep" of the Plaza told the ladies they couldn't have the parrots (because she herself could see the reason behind having them). The question then came up as to why they weren't allowed to have parrots when we brought our dog with us. We told the "rep" that in our eyes there was no reason for the parrots (the ladies did not already own them, they had the intention of buying them purely for the sales attraction) but we didn't have a problem if they wanted to bring them.

The "rep" offered us a "compromise" of having our dog kept in a pen round the back of the shops (still on Plaza land). We refused this as we like to have our puppy where we can see him to make sure he is OK and properly fed and watered etc. throughout the day. This compromise struck us as strange seeing as our dog would still in fact be on the Plaza. Now the question comes up that is it just an issue with us having the dog outside our shop? The contract doesn't state anything other than "No animals to be kept on the Plaza permanently". It does not state no animals outside shops etc.

Another issue we have is that the owner herself did in fact allow a dog to be kept on the property permanently. The dog belonged to an employee of hers who slept in her shop over night as security, and therefore this man?s dog acted as a guard dog for her property. This dog was an "adopted stray" who was not domestic or vaccinated and was allowed to walk, sit, and sleep where over it chose.

The "rep" also has a bird collection which is kept on the Plaza permanently. Until this issue came up these birds were always kept around the side of her shop. They have since been moved to the back of her shop - but are still on the Plaza - permanently. She moved her birds when she was offering us the compromise of a pen for our dog.

We talked more with the "rep" and explained that in our eyes we were not in breach of the contract. She tried to say that may the "permanently" issue was lost in translation. I explained that I understood the translation and that she would have to seek legal advice on it.

Things died down and no more was said until one day we had a visit from the Marina Police. Most shop owners on the Plaza give the Marina Police a weekly tip as they occasionally pop down of a night time and make sure the beach is secure - which is in all out interests. The Marina Police told us that he had had a complaint from the Hotel Manager (we work just outside a hotel). Someone in the hotel had apparently been barked at by our dog. I asked for details of the complaint, when it happened, where, the name of the person who complained etc. At this point the story changed slightly and we were told the complaint had actually come from the Hotel Security Manager. We asked similar questions again and the story then changed for a third time. The complaint had then come from the Plaza. At this point we knew exactly who the complaint had come from and showed the Marina Police a copy of our contract. We explained what was actually behind the complaint; he looked very embarrassed and told us not to worry about what he had said. Our dog was not with us that day either and the Police thought the stray was ours which shows how discreetly our dog is kept.

We went to the hotel the next day just to ask for ourselves whether they knew of any reports and sure enough, they didn't know what we were talking about. I can only assume the Police had been given false information by the "rep" and been asked to inquire.

I say a long story short.....

When we go to court do anyone know whether the contract will be read and viewed as a word for word binding contract, or whether the court has the power to cast their own opinion on the matter.

My concern is that as this has come from the Politur it will be a "tip off" job and therefore the decision will have been made as to the outcome before we are even heard.

Legal advice, solicitor recommendations and perhaps past experience would be appreciated. Should this even be coming from the Politur? I don't have court experience in the UK or here, but I would have thought this would be a civil matter seeing as its private property and therefore don't understand the Politur involvement. This is our first experience of the legal system in the DR so we don't quite know what to expect.

Many thanks

Lauren

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Get a lawyer! Do not, repeat, not NOT , go to the hearing without a lawyer.

HB

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
I agree with Hillbilly -- never show up in court without a lawyer.

I would add to that by saying you should get a clear price from this lawyer as to what the appearance will cost you. A one-off price, not a price to fix the problem, nor a price to handle the initial case, etc, but a price which will include getting him up to speed on the case, advising you on the case and making that initial appearance. Get a clear number, not an "we'll work it out later".

But more to the point, it would seem from what you've posted (as you haven't posted the actual contract) that:

1) You are in breach of the spirit of the agreement
2) There is room to move with the "no pets" clause
3) The landlord is open to compromise

This being the case, there is no reason for you and your landlord to be in court. The fact that you are being served would seem to suggest you have dropped the ball at some point and missed at least one opportunity to come to an equitable arrangement.

A few mistakes you seem to have made (I say 'seem' because I can only go on what you've written). Please don;t take this as a personal attack, but rather as a response to your story with some well-intentioned advice:

1) "We talked more with the "rep" and explained that in our eyes we were not in breach of the contract. She tried to say that may the "permanently" issue was lost in translation. I explained that I understood the translation and that she would have to seek legal advice on it." She is giving you a way to move from your original position while saving face. You have replied by almost daring her to sue you. Which she has now done.

2) "The "rep" offered us a "compromise" of having our dog kept in a pen round the back of the shops (still on Plaza land). We refused(...)" So the rep is offerring a compromise, again trying to give you a way to move from your position while saving face. Rather than countering with another suggestion, you have outright refused.

3) You brought the dog to your property on a regular basis without asking the landlord first. That the other shopowners don't mind is not all that relevant if you don't do the landlord the courtesy of asking her as well.

4) "The lady in question is a member of the family who owns the parcel of land we are on, and although her mother is the person we have the contract with, this lady considers herself to be the representative of the owners and therefore deals with any "issues"." While legally the contract is with the person who owns the land and no other, family is a big deal in the DR, and for all intents and purposes, dealing with a member of the family is the same as dealing with the landowner. Whether you agree or not, that's the way it is here.

5) "2 months ago we were approached by one of the other shop owners and told we could no longer bring our dog with us." You have had two months in which to come to terms with the landlord regarding your dog, and from what I can read, haven't made a real effort to find a solution that allows both you and your landlord to come to a mutually acceptable solution. Is it any wonder you are now being served?

6) "She moved her birds when she was offering us the compromise of a pen for our dog." Seems to me she is trying to be reasonable and making a good faith effort to come to terms with you. How are you responding to these gestures?

7) "Once we started discussing it we were told that the issue was not in fact with our dog specifically." This is your landlord trying to find common ground with you, rather than fight you. It's an olive branch. What did you do with this olive branch?

8) When the marina police showed up, that presented you with another opportunity to come to terms. Instead you chose to view it as the landlord being sneaky. Well, since speaking directly with you has so far gotten her nowhere, sending in a middleman (even the police) to try to get you to accommodate her seems like a logical next step.

To sum up: Your contract makes mention of pets not being allowed (putting aside what 'permanently' is supposed to mean. Rather than seek clarification of exactly what is meant in your contract, or asking for an exemption (thereby giving your landlord the opportunity to graciously allow your pup to visit you), you chose to bring your dog and see what happened.

When your landlord complained and offered a compromise, you refused rather than offer alternative arrangements. Your landlord's options at this point? Follow-up or lose face.

When your landlord followed up, you made reference to the contract, rather than to what you can do to fix the issue. When the landlord gave you a way to come back to the table, you told her to get a lawyer. Her options? Get a lawyer or lose face.

At what point in this dispute did you make an effort to allow your landlord a gracious way out while saving face?

From your story, it seems like your landlord is being extremely reasonable, and you are simply refusing to budge. Now you find yourself in court, which will cost you a lot in unnecessary legal fees. More to the point, you are alienating someone with whom you will have a continuing business relationship and who has seemingly offered on several occasions to resolve this matter amicably.

My advice to you? Apologize for letting this matter get this far, and ask if you can start over again. You would be amazed at how powerful a simple apology can be. Find some middle ground, even if it doesn;t seem to make 'logical' sense. They have an issue with your dog being outside your shop? What about if you kept it inside the shop? What if you agreed that you would have the dog with you only for the next few months (unitl it is old enough to be left alone at home) and that after that you will leave it at home? The court won't reach a decision before then anyways. Hell, you could even set up a security camera out the back to keep an eye on him :)

Or, you could look into alternative retail space. Or you could pay a tonne of legal fees and alienate your landlord even more (have fun renewing when your contract is up, by the way...). Remember as well that there are a lot of ways to deal with a nuisance dog -- your landlord is chosing the most civilized way, for which you should be thankful.

Again, I know most people don't want to hear criticism and my input may not be as welcome some other people's, but I hope you will take it to heart and thereby avoid similar problems in the future.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Joe

PS: Seek proper legal advice for the following, but:

1) To the best of my knowledge, judicial acts have to be served by alguacils, not politur, to be legally 'received' unless otherwise stated in the contract.
2) When there are parts of a contract that are unclear, the courts are supposed to interpret them in favour of the party who did NOT prepare the contract.
3) Courts will attempt to apply the spirit of the agreement (which is supposed to be clear from the wording). When the spirit of the agreement is in dispute, but the wording is clear -- the letter of the contract is what counts.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Above post is interesting. However, I think that in any event you should follow Hillbilly's advice and lawyer up.

Still, I wonder, WHAT exactly is it you BOUGHT when you say you bought a shop on a plaza? Is it just the rental contract (business sale) or did you buy a piece of real estate in a condominium situation?
That would affect your rights.
If you are just a tenant and want to stay there, you better abide by your contract or as soon the owners have a better use for your spot (like a better offer or have an eye on your well to do business) they will use what ever leverage you give them to get you out.
If you bought a piece of real estate and the shopping plaza has a condominium contract attached to the deed, the condo contract is, as I understand subject to the condominium law. I think that in that case the keeping of pets inside each ones own space (not the condominium premises) can only be limited to disturbance disturbance caused to the neighbors.

Then again, I am not a lawyer, this is therefor not legal advice. So again, lawyer up, don't go there naked.

... J-D.

Sorry, but from reading all of this you sound like you were indeed in breach of contract. You need to stop bringing your dog to work. You seem stuck on the fact that the dog does not permanently live at your store but rules are rules. I'm highly allergic to dogs and if I came into your store I would leave and avoid the entire plaza. Other store owners would suffer from your decision of breaking the rules.