Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Association meetings: Robert's Rules Of Order / Reglas De Procedimiento Parlamentario

I have just been elected to preside over the newly formed PTA of "my" girls' school at La Mulata Sosua.
    As the president it will be my "distinct pleasure" to moderate it's meetings. The board has been conformed of 7 parents of which 3 including me are foreigners and the remaining 4 locals. Meetings will obviously be held in Spanish.
    I used to organize and work with HOA's in the States and Spain. In the States, Robert's Rules Of Order were the parliamentary procedure of choice by default. In Spain it initially always was disorganization until I forced the concept of Robert's Rules Order upon every HOA which wanted me to work with them... not that difficult, as many or the residents in new developments were British or German (demographic mix, which by itself called for some rules ).

Well, to make a long story short, I would like to see some expert opinion to find out if something similar to Robert's Rules Of Order (Reglas de procedimiento parlamentario de Roberts) are a known concept here or if there is anything similar to substitute them.
    I truly intend to have civilized and productive meetings. Yes, we can!

Thanks! ... J-D.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

No idea about the answer to your question, JD, just wanted to say congratulations . You'll be great as el presidente.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ma'm.

I could also use some directions about bylaws (constitucion) since this is an "official" association required by the ministry of education.
    I have my next meeting tomorrow...

... J-D.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jd

Don't know about here but if you paste
    Reglas de procedimiento parlamentario de Roberts
    into BING you get lots of hits.

so it is recognized in the spanish world

http://www.camarapr.org/documents/RE...S_ASAMBLEA.pdf
    http://www.lausd.net/District_5/comm...%20Spanish.doc

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bienamor View Post
    Don't know about here but if you paste
    Reglas de procedimiento parlamentario de Roberts
    into BING you get lots of hits.

so it is recognized in the spanish world

http://www.camarapr.org/documents/RE...S_ASAMBLEA.pdf
    www.lausd.net/District_5/community/PARLIAMENTARY%20Spanish.doc
    Thanks BienAmor. Yes, I found several translations of Robert's Rules of Order in Spanish language. Since the Spanish language is one spoken in much of the US, it is not surprising. Robert's Rules of Order are a law of commons "offspring" however, this country here governs itself under Napoleonic code, which is fundamentally different. This is not to say that Robert's Rules of Order in Spanish could not be used in a private association, especially if it was not an officially needed one like a PTA and hat mostly Anglo members. But what I need here is to find out if there is a Dominican set of rules used in official meetings.

But thanks! I value your input very much!

... still looking... J-D.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default you sure

Quote Originally Posted by J D Sauser View Post
    this country here governs itself under Napoleonic code, ... still looking... J-D.
    I thought this was changed with the new court rules. and now we are more under the english set.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bienamor View Post
    I thought this was changed with the new court rules. and now we are more under the english set.
    As I have been told, yes "a little more", but still far away.

... J-D.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattt View Post
    I really like your blog very much and i hope you will continue this good work in the future as well .....................

mcts
    M'Thinks thou art about to be zapped Mattt. Please go troll someone else's forum! ~ Grahame.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J D Sauser View Post
    Thanks Ma'm.

I could also use some directions about bylaws (constitucion) since this is an "official" association required by the ministry of education.
    I have my next meeting tomorrow...

... J-D.
    Have you had words with a lawyer J-D? I would have thought someone like Roque Vargas, Hanibal Ripol or Argentina Brugal might have the charters/bye-law information you seek.

Good luck with your new (yet another) responsibility. That girl of yours must get prouder of you by the day? ? ~ Grahame.
    Last edited by BushBaby; 05-31-2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: missed out Argentina's surname!!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I somewhat gave up on the issue of RULES. They don't seem to be predisposed to try any.
    I probably over-shot. I thought they wanted to do something RIGHT and productive... probably they did (want) but not want TO DO enough.
    Really, it seems, that the whole PTA thing was just a new requisite form the Secretaria de Educacion... in other words, "we" just needed to supply the Secretaria with a list of names and matching Cedula numbers of a "board of directors" to prove "we" had complied with the new "lets get together and fart into space in the intent to make a difference"-requisite.

E p'alante que vamo! & Co.

Still, the question of a "local" version of a Robert's Rule of Order remains officially unanswered.
    Apparently, the President or any other would-be "Trujillito" DICTATES who speaks and who is expected to say what. "Leadership", you know!
    And then, inevitably, someone may try to talk unasked or say things the president may not agree with, and that's the moment of truth! Does our "president" have what it takes?

... J-D.