Dominican women & swearing

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
I've been wondering about this for a while and I finally decided to pose the question here.

My husband is Dominican, I'm not (I'm St.Lucian/Canadian) and like most Dominicans he swears a lot. However, if I even utter one "cono" or "maldita" or anything like that, he gets very upset. He says that women don't swear and it's a sign of low class. In short, he can do it but I can't. Is this true? I know here in Canada women and men swear equally but I'm not sure about the DR. I'm wondering if there is a kernel of truth in what he's saying or if he just doesn't like hearing me swear.

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
Call me old-fashioned or provincial, but I think men around the world (regardless of culture or nationality) in some way think women should not swear.

I am from the U.S., and can "swear fluently" but I refrain from doing so in front of men, particularly when in the company of men whom I want to respect me and hold me in high regard.

Just my opinion, of course ...

I've been wondering about this for a while and I finally decided to pose the question here.

My husband is Dominican, I'm not (I'm St.Lucian/Canadian) and like most Dominicans he swears a lot. However, if I even utter one "cono" or "maldita" or anything like that, he gets very upset. He says that women don't swear and it's a sign of low class. In short, he can do it but I can't. Is this true? I know here in Canada women and men swear equally but I'm not sure about the DR. I'm wondering if there is a kernel of truth in what he's saying or if he just doesn't like hearing me swear.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
In my experience working in Santiago with few exceptions would you hear a woman in middle management or above swearing. Outside the workplace, it's not common amongst middle/upper class. There's an art to maintaining their status which includes maintaining their calm as much as possible.

In the lower, less educated classes it's more common... but I would still say a large majority of these women wouldn't include 'bad words' in their daily vocabulary, either.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
its something that I find a pleasant change -women here act a lot more lady-like, lets hope they dont pick up our bad habits and start swearing, swigging pints of lager and going round in packs scaring everyone like they do in the Uk- why do you feel the need to swear?

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to know if he was pulling my leg. Sometimes I swear on purpose just to bug him, but I never do it when we're with other people. Nice to know he was telling the truth.

My best friend has the worst potty mouth I've ever heard, especially when she's driving. She lives in the DR now, so I wonder what they make of her hahaha.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
swearing while driving is a different thing :)
yes, dominican ladies no not swear.
but as a gringa i sometimes feel that only f**k will cover the extent of my anger. if i have to swear in public, however, i usually use polish. and in poland - spanish. :)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Here, he's right!

Dominican women who do not want to be mistaken for a girl from the street or Car Wash, DO watch their image very carefully. Dress code, language, places they do not visit, things they don't do, except behind closed doors.
Dominican men who care to watch their image, simply show themselves only with a lady who watches her image, at least during daytime.

In other words, he is right... welcome to the Latin American macho world.

... J-D.

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
Dominican women who do not want to be mistaken for a girl from the street or Car Wash, DO watch their image very carefully. Dress code, language, places they do not visit, things they don't do, except behind closed doors.
Dominican men who care to watch their image, simply show themselves only with a lady who watches her image, at least during daytime.

In other words, he is right... welcome to the Latin American macho world.

... J-D.

....I will never hear the end of this if I tell him he was right. LOL.

ballerina 92

Sep 21, 2009

I Beilieve in equality but in this one he could be right, as A Dominican born lady this is how my father calls it. Is just not lady like to swear.......At least not for his ear to hear. Must dominican Woman do it and the husband don't even note it/... Hence woman don't swear.. heh. heh...

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
One time while driving in Santo Domingo, I uttered a particularly bad swearword in English towards another driver (it's actually two words related to a close family member) and my DR novia who was riding with me at the time, a Dominicana who spoke absolutely zero English, promptly repeated the word(s) in perfect English without even a hint of knowing what she said. I never ever heard her repeat something in such clear English, and I never did tell her what she said...............

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
One time while driving in Santo Domingo, I uttered a particularly bad swearword in English towards another driver (it's actually two words related to a close family member) and my DR novia who was riding with me at the time, a Dominicana who spoke absolutely zero English, promptly repeated the word(s) in perfect English without even a hint of knowing what she said. I never ever heard her repeat something in such clear English, and I never did tell her what she said...............

That word (MF) is fairly known between Dominicans even if they don't know a zilch of English.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Manners and etiquette aside, swearing in a language other than your first is never that convincing. In my experience it's better to avoid it.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I must admit reading this thread has made me realize that no actually Dominican women dont swear that much, I am sure i have heard it on occasion but not nearly as much as you may listening to a foreigner, allthough....

I have noticed that i have been quite put off with alot of Dominicanas making some quite disturbing other things in public, like spitting and that awful awful throat scratching gutteral noise, the last one especially seems quite common and i have seen female lawyers doing it, in fact i have heard a female judge doing it!! I have never heard or seen this anywhere else other than here and every time i do, it turns my stomach, but seems to bother no one else. :ermm:

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
I must admit reading this thread has made me realize that no actually Dominican women dont swear that much, I am sure i have heard it on occasion but not nearly as much as you may listening to a foreigner, allthough....

I have noticed that i have been quite put off with alot of Dominicanas making some quite disturbing other things in public, like spitting and that awful awful throat scratching gutteral noise, the last one especially seems quite common and i have seen female lawyers doing it, in fact i have heard a female judge doing it!! I have never heard or seen this anywhere else other than here and every time i do, it turns my stomach, but seems to bother no one else. :ermm:

Yes I have heard that sound too, the kind of scratching of the throat sound, my ex used to do it, and a lady I dated for awhile down here did it as well, couldn't stand it, and it irritated me everytime I would here it.

I would try to ignore it, but it wasn't easy, why do they do it? Is it truly a scratching of the throat and if so why don't other women from other places have to do the same?

Just curious.

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
I am glad that someone brought this up. I have a FOUL mouth. My dominican husband never says anything about me swearing in english, and I know he understands what I am saying as he sometimes uses these words too. One day when we were wrestling, I happened to repeat two swear words I had heard his roommate use (the english equivalent would be MF) He stopped wrestling with me and got very upset with me for using those words. He said he never wanted to hear me use those words again. Now, at the time I could not figure out for the life of me why he was so upset, but after reading this, i guess he thinks it's inappropriate for his wife to swear in Spanish.
Ahhh yes, one more cultural difference I will never understand. lol

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
leave Spanish swearing to the experts....Spanish speakers, Foreigners using English swear words always sound wrong too

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I noticed Dominican men are pretty good at swearing in English. I might be wrong, because English is not my native. When I tried doing the same - he would feel free to use even more words I did not even know. Maybe wanted to show me he is better at this than I could possibly ever be.