What is a good salary for the Punta Cana area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElizPuntaCana

Sep 21, 2009
I am an American living in the Punta Cana/Bavaro area. I have my B.A. am trying to get a job. I have heard that 10,000 pesos a month is a normal salary, but that comes out to less than US$3 ah hour! Can this be right? Our rent here in Bavaro is USD$500 a month. How can anyone live on that?
Help!

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Prior Planning

One would think that you would have done your homework before moving.

ElizPuntaCana

Sep 21, 2009
I didn't move down here to work. I moved here so my husband could be with his family for a few years, and so I could have the experience of living in a foreign country. I am just now looking into a job so we can be financialy comfortable, but thanks for the kind words!

Feb 7, 2007
You either live like Dominicans on Dominican-level Punta Cana salary (meaning you live in Hoyo de Friusa paying 2000 pesos a month rent for cocroach infested small cramped room you share with 2 other "roommates" most likely dealing or hooking) or you live like wealthy foreigners on foreign-level salaries/retirement funds/investments, etc. (meaning you live in a nice condo/apartment paying US$500-1000 and much more per-month-rent - or you own it). There is practically very little in-between.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Something tells me that ElizPuntaCana may not even know where "The Hole" is...

Quite simply put, Dominicans don't generally live in $500US/month condos or villas; or even in Punta Cana/Bavaro for many (they commute to Higuey) - that's how they do it.

Gregg

P.S. - Try working at one of the big hotels where the "new" minimum wage is $6,133RD pesos per month.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Quite simply put, Dominicans don't generally live in $500US/month condos or villas; or even in Punta Cana/Bavaro for many (they commute to Higuey) - that's how they do it.
Where we live in Punta Cana the rents for condos/villas are higher than that, but at least 80% of our neighbours are Dominican.

They are hotel industry executives, in real estate, local business owners, in some cases one partner works here and the other commutes to the capital Mon-Fri, some are freelancers &/or people who can work from home (like me and my husband), or teachers at the local private schools.

These are some of the areas where you can expect to find work at middle-class professional Dominican salaries, which make it affordable to live in a US$500 per month apartment.

That said, it is not easy to walk into any of these jobs - especially now that the economy is quite flat - without good contacts.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Where we live in Punta Cana the rents for condos/villas are higher than that, but at least 80% of our neighbours are Dominican.

Chiri,

The comment was specific to those making $10KRD pesos as per the question from the OP "How can anyone live on that?" - apologies for not being more specific.

Gregg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No problem! I added that info to ensure that people reading this don't get the impression that Punta Cana is only populated by impoverished Dominicans and rich retired gringos living in completely separate worlds, and for the OP to get an idea of the kind of jobs she can aim for in the Punta Cana area that would enable her to afford the US$500 rent.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Another option that is available for Manager level positions and up is housing on-site or they give you an extra amount to rent a house or apartment. Those jobs are not that common and if you have a family along with you could be a bit complicated to get. I for one make a reasonable salary (more than 10,000 thank god!) and have housing included. What would you be qualified to work in? Do you speak spanish? For example, the Punta Cana International School is currently looking for teachers...

ElizPuntaCana

Sep 21, 2009
Thank you all so much for your input. Good food for thought. I am looking at a job at a private pre-school. I do speak some spanish, but am by no means fluent. I try and ask my husband and his family about wages , but they don't seem to have a clue. The in-laws live in Santo Domingo and are self employed. And my husband works for his father here. Thanks again

ElizPuntaCana

Sep 21, 2009
Another option that is available for Manager level positions and up is housing on-site or they give you an extra amount to rent a house or apartment. Those jobs are not that common and if you have a family along with you could be a bit complicated to get. I for one make a reasonable salary (more than 10,000 thank god!) and have housing included. What would you be qualified to work in? Do you speak spanish? For example, the Punta Cana International School is currently looking for teachers...

Thanks for your post. I did some volunteer work at the Ecological Foundation last year, so I am familiar with the Punta Cana Group. They are a great organization. I have experience as a substitute teacher back in the states, and also hospital experience. How would I go about contacting the school directly? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Thanks for your post. I did some volunteer work at the Ecological Foundation last year, so I am familiar with the Punta Cana Group. They are a great organization. I have experience as a substitute teacher back in the states, and also hospital experience. How would I go about contacting the school directly? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I would recommend you contact the Principal directly. His name is Saul Jenkins and his email is sjenkins@puntacana.com . Good luck!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and don't forget to have the appropriate certificates/papers handy when applying for a 'good paid' steady teaching job at a well established intl private school.
teachers with cerytificates are not a rare spezies around.
a 10.000.- pesos monthly salary for a non fluent plus 2 additional languages speaking foreigner is absolutely usual, some do not get even that in the area before comissions etc. no special education to qualify for a top level high paid employment means to stick with the crowd, and most in the crowd do not earn more than 10K pesos per month.
$500.-US monthly rent to pay??
heck,
are you looking for a simple employment or for a way to pay a mid class lifestyle?, b/c such is not paid by a simple employment's salary down here.
as a simple employee not on the top management level of a company you should not expect a salary even close to pay a $500.-US per month rent. such calculation would mean you are counting on situations/possibilities which are not accurate/present here in the country.
good luck
Mike

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
One would think that you would have done your homework before moving.

Well,

these words are harsh, but very true and necessary.

One word of advice, if you want to take it: Don't be an employee.

You'll make more money baking cakes.

Should you feel that baking cakes (or something like that) is not up to your expectations, well, women live differently in DR, and they are very happy that way.

Actually, there are plenty of DR female professionals making same money as in the US, but it's not about sending a resume, it's about having contacts.

It'll take you ten years.

Might seem harsh, but it's reality. You said you wanted to generate income, so that's the way it is.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not Properly Fed

I try and ask my husband and his family about wages , but they don't seem to have a clue.
Strange, if they don't who would?

The in-laws live in Santo Domingo and are self employed. And my husband works for his father here.
Does he not make enough money to support you?
Unless he is a s..... Dominican men don't really expect their wives to be the breadwinners.

donP

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Strange, if they don't who would?

Does he not make enough money to support you?
Unless he is a s..... Dominican men don't really expect their wives to be the breadwinners.

donP

right DonP,
as long as they are not professionals or business owners themselves,
dominican mid class women do not work,
they are expected to supervise the Staff in the household and represent the family.
Mike

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Wait? I am not middle class? When did that happen?!

What you say might be true for certain women in the higher economic levels, but even most work, even if just out of pride. Things have changed. And in my level (solidly middle-class) we are expected to contribute, if not equally, at least substantially to the home finances.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
right DonP,
as long as they are not professionals or business owners themselves,
dominican mid class women do not work,
they are expected to supervise the Staff in the household and represent the family.
Mike

You're kidding, right?:paranoid:

ElizPuntaCana

Sep 21, 2009
ok, ok, I get it. Let me explain myself. The question was more hypothetical. No, I don't actually need to pay rent, my father in law owns the condo copmplex my husband manages. I was just very confused because I see alot of Dominicans in my neighborhood, and wonder how they can afford the rent here? When I say, "who can anyone afford that?" I mean how can the average Dominican afford that. I know know, (thanks to your input) that they can't. It's just one more realization between the Have and the Have Nots in this country. So much for the tricle down effect. And FYI my husband is very American, but his parents are very Dominican. I was raised to be very independent and liberal, so it has been hard for me to assimilate. It has been an interesting adjustment to say the least. Hopefully I will be a better person for it.
Thanks again for your posts! DR1 posts have been such an eye opener for me.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.