Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is a good salary for the Punta Cana area?

I am an American living in the Punta Cana/Bavaro area. I have my B.A. am trying to get a job. I have heard that 10,000 pesos a month is a normal salary, but that comes out to less than US$3 ah hour! Can this be right? Our rent here in Bavaro is USD$500 a month. How can anyone live on that?
    Help!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prior Planning

One would think that you would have done your homework before moving.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't move down here to work. I moved here so my husband could be with his family for a few years, and so I could have the experience of living in a foreign country. I am just now looking into a job so we can be financialy comfortable, but thanks for the kind words!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You either live like Dominicans on Dominican-level Punta Cana salary (meaning you live in Hoyo de Friusa paying 2000 pesos a month rent for cocroach infested small cramped room you share with 2 other "roommates" most likely dealing or hooking) or you live like wealthy foreigners on foreign-level salaries/retirement funds/investments, etc. (meaning you live in a nice condo/apartment paying US$500-1000 and much more per-month-rent - or you own it). There is practically very little in-between.

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

10,000? Our maid makes more than that! I am sorry, but that salary will get you nowhere here.

Also what Rubio_Higuey said.

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Something tells me that ElizPuntaCana may not even know where "The Hole" is...

Quite simply put, Dominicans don't generally live in $500US/month condos or villas; or even in Punta Cana/Bavaro for many (they commute to Higuey) - that's how they do it.

Gregg

P.S. - Try working at one of the big hotels where the "new" minimum wage is $6,133RD pesos per month.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    Quite simply put, Dominicans don't generally live in $500US/month condos or villas; or even in Punta Cana/Bavaro for many (they commute to Higuey) - that's how they do it.
    Where we live in Punta Cana the rents for condos/villas are higher than that, but at least 80% of our neighbours are Dominican.

They are hotel industry executives, in real estate, local business owners, in some cases one partner works here and the other commutes to the capital Mon-Fri, some are freelancers &/or people who can work from home (like me and my husband), or teachers at the local private schools.

These are some of the areas where you can expect to find work at middle-class professional Dominican salaries, which make it affordable to live in a US$500 per month apartment.

That said, it is not easy to walk into any of these jobs - especially now that the economy is quite flat - without good contacts.

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Where we live in Punta Cana the rents for condos/villas are higher than that, but at least 80% of our neighbours are Dominican.
    Chiri,

The comment was specific to those making $10KRD pesos as per the question from the OP "How can anyone live on that?" - apologies for not being more specific.

Gregg

Post Thanks / Like

No problem! I added that info to ensure that people reading this don't get the impression that Punta Cana is only populated by impoverished Dominicans and rich retired gringos living in completely separate worlds, and for the OP to get an idea of the kind of jobs she can aim for in the Punta Cana area that would enable her to afford the US$500 rent.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Another option that is available for Manager level positions and up is housing on-site or they give you an extra amount to rent a house or apartment. Those jobs are not that common and if you have a family along with you could be a bit complicated to get. I for one make a reasonable salary (more than 10,000 thank god!) and have housing included. What would you be qualified to work in? Do you speak spanish? For example, the Punta Cana International School is currently looking for teachers...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast