Hop

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
did you mean hot pants ? seriously I think they need a cooler climate, they used to grow in the uk where I used to live- I would imagine its quite doubtful

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
did you mean hot pants ? seriously I think they need a cooler climate, they used to grow in the uk where I used to live- I would imagine its quite doubtful
Higher in the mountains?
I'm willing to give it a shot as i like to drink a good quality homebrew beer

Johan

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
we need to find out what they are called in Dominican Spanish first I think, you would also need a huge field of them coz they weigh practically nothing

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
we need to find out what they are called in Dominican Spanish first I think, you would also need a huge field of them coz they weigh practically nothing

As i recall 2 or 3 plants gave about 0.5 kg of dried flowers that`s enough for 45 liters of beer
And they grow fast :bunny:
So if you now someone comming over from the states.....:cheeky:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I thought hops was cebada (barley) but the dictionary tells me it's l?pulo.

l?pulo.

(Del lat. tard?o lupŭlus; cf. lupus, en Plinio).

1. m. Planta trepadora, muy com?n en varias partes de Espa?a, de la familia de las Cannab?ceas, con tallos sarmentosos de tres a cinco metros de largo, hojas parecidas a las de la vid, flores masculinas en racimo, y las femeninas en cabezuela, y fruto en forma de pi?a globosa, cuyas escamas cubren dos aquenios rodeados de lupulino. Los frutos, desecados, se emplean para aromatizar y dar sabor amargo a la cerveza.

At least I got 10/10 in the Para/Por test. ;)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I thought hops was cebada (barley) but the dictionary tells me it's l?pulo.

L?pulo for hops is correct. Hops is added for bitter flavor and natural conservation.
Barley (cebada) is the other (malted) ingredient which can be replaced with corn, rice, wheat, etc. for for their starchy content (glucose chains which are turned into alcohol by fermentation).
Then there is yeast (levadura) to start fermentation and add bubbles and also added for secondary bottle fermentation, typically in Bavarian wheat beer.
Finally pure quality spring water (agua).

Zum Wohl! ... J-D.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
If someone gets me hop i?ll provide the beer

Done this when i was a student. not far from the university was a hop field and barley you can buy almost everywhere....
so i always had 45 liters of beer in the making :paranoid:
and i made a mistake earlier when talking about the amount needed it is far less about 60 grams for 20 liters

Johan

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Does anyone come from belgium in the near future
there is a company that sells hop
So i can start producing at once
I?ll let him know my list 4 items on it

Greetings

Johan

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
The project is taking form slowely but surely.

I?m now looking for brewing vessels fancy word for 3 empty beerbarrils do they exist in the dr and if so where can i get my hands on them
The person who provides me a barril can get half of the first batch about 30 bottles

The other half i need for testing (burp)

Greetings

Johan

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Here is a small grower of organic hops, and they sell by the ounce ($3 to $5 per ounce) - ship by mail?

GREENCASTLE ORGANICS
Mary, Kevin & Seth Somerville
2398 Echo Ave. NW, Oxford, Iowa, USA
(319) 828-4811 ? mysomer@aol.com
Raising organic hops for local micro breweries and
home brewers. Utilizing local waste products to create
soil amendments.

Anton Suhy

Apr 26, 2011
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just wanted to ask: heldengebroed, did you ever get anything going? I am ordering the stuff to make 2 5 gallon batches right now and having a friend bring it down in a suitcase.
From all of the math I have done, it only comes out to about 80 - 100 pesos a liter (jumbo size) to make good home brew dark beer. I'm surprised more foreigners aren't doing it here. I wonder what licensing you would have to work out to open a microbrewery here...