Samana to Higuey, then Higuey to Santo Domingo

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
How many hours would it take to drive from Las Terrenas in Samana to Higuey?

And then, how many hours would it take to drive from Higuey to Santo Domingo?

Could it be done all in one day?

would be a long day!

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Las Terrenas to the carretera nueva 35 minutes if you are lucky [no traffic], carretera nueva from beginning up north to end down south to las americas another hour and a half. Las Americas eastbound to Higuey [passing Boca Chica, SPDM, La Romana etc.] another hour and 45 minutes if you get lucky again [no traffic]. So that part alone will take you close to 4 hours. I agree would be a long day!
and THEN you are headed back to Santo Domingo....sheesh!

Las Terrenas to the carretera nueva 35 minutes if you are lucky [no traffic], carretera nueva from beginning up north to end down south to las americas another hour and a half. Las Americas eastbound to Higuey [passing Boca Chica, SPDM, La Romana etc.] another hour and 45 minutes if you get lucky again [no traffic]. So that part alone will take you close to 4 hours. I agree would be a long day!
and THEN you are headed back to Santo Domingo....sheesh!

I think I'll cut out the trip to Higuey and just go to Las Terrenas, and then to Santo Domingo.
I'll explore Higuey on another trip. Most people I'ved talked to who've been there didn't sound very enthusiastic about it anyway.
I'm leaving for Las Terrenas today from Sosua, then I'll head to Santo Domingo either tomorrow, or on Friday if Las Terrenas has a lot to do. I have to be in SD by Friday because I have a room reserved at the Jaragua.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
FYI from Sosua to Las Terrenas will be a long drive too. Expect it to be close to 2 hours as the road has some parts that arent in good shape and also keep in mind it is two lanes wide...so drive carefully and keep your eyes open because people can drive recklessly. I was just up that way earlier this month and from Rio San Juan to the new carretera took me about 45 minutes....so add another 45 mins from the carretera nueva to Las Terrenas. Should be a nice drive, beautiful scenery and beaches. If you have the time I say stop in Nagua and enjoy the town too. Las Terrenas is beautiful as well.
Good luck and safe driving from north to south. If you havent done it yet, the new carretera is great and the scenery is beautiful. Only complain are the peajes [tolls, three total] which will cost you roughly about 300 pesos [each way! if you choose to go back]. Other than that no complaints on the new highway!

FYI from Sosua to Las Terrenas will be a long drive too. Expect it to be close to 2 hours as the road has some parts that arent in good shape and also keep in mind it is two lanes wide...so drive carefully and keep your eyes open because people can drive recklessly. I was just up that way earlier this month and from Rio San Juan to the new carretera took me about 45 minutes....so add another 45 mins from the carretera nueva to Las Terrenas. Should be a nice drive, beautiful scenery and beaches. If you have the time I say stop in Nagua and enjoy the town too. Las Terrenas is beautiful as well.
Good luck and safe driving from north to south. If you havent done it yet, the new carretera is great and the scenery is beautiful. Only complain are the peajes [tolls, three total] which will cost you roughly about 300 pesos [each way! if you choose to go back]. Other than that no complaints on the new highway!

I made it from Sosua to Las Terrenas in exactly 2 hours and 50 minutes. I left Sosua at 12:00 noon and arrived in Las Terrenas at 2:50pm. This morning I drove from Las Terrenas to Santo Domingo. It took me about half an hour to get from the middle of Las Terrenas to the beginning of the new highway, and once at the new highway it was about an hour & twenty minutes to Santo Domingo. Aside from the three tolls, the new highway is great. It was nice to be on smooth roads again for a change.
I am now in the Colonial Zone at Hotel Freeman. I'll check into the Jaragua for Friday & Saturday nights and then I'll go up to Bonao for one day (Sunday) and Back to Santiago on Monday and stay there until Wednesday morning when I fly back to Miami.

Feb 7, 2007
How many hours would it take to drive from Las Terrenas in Samana to Higuey?

And then, how many hours would it take to drive from Higuey to Santo Domingo?

Could it be done all in one day?

I have driven Higuey to Samana (El Catey Airport) then back to Bavaro then back to Higuey in one day, it was a LONG day, but can be done.

Count 4 hours from Samana to Higuey (if you use the new highway), then 2.5 hours from Higuey to Santo Domingo.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
If you have not driven here before...take the bus.

Higuey only has 4 unmarked left turns and 3 right turns to get from one side to the other, virtually guaranteeing you will end up in El Seibo.

If by chance you make it through, then comes LA Romana. You must know which red lights you stop at and which ones you don't. Expect an AMET officer to rummage thru your paperwork...almost guaranteed. On to Santo Domingo...once there you them have to find your way without signage to the Duarte. Fun indeed. Most end up somewhere in the west of the city, headed for Azua.

Feb 7, 2007

Higuey only has 4 unmarked left turns and 3 right turns to get from one side to the other, virtually guaranteeing you will end up in El Seibo.

If by chance you make it through, then comes LA Romana. You must know which red lights you stop at and which ones you don't. Expect an AMET officer to rummage thru your paperwork...almost guaranteed. On to Santo Domingo...once there you them have to find your way without signage to the Duarte. Fun indeed. Most end up somewhere in the west of the city, headed for Azua.

This was good... and you have forgotten San Pedro ... if he doesn't make a turn before SP he will head downtown, and lacking couple of turns (which are not obvious) would end up in some Batey.... my favorite one is at Zona Franca.

El Vegano

Apr 20, 2006
hire a car and driver!

Why go through all these hassles when you can hire a car and driver for the same as you would pay for a rental car? If you don?t have much experience driving in the DR, don?t do it!

dondada

Aug 20, 2008
New Orleans - Louisiana
From Higuey to Puerto Plata / Sosua.

OK........I don’t mind taking the bus. I won’t be in a rush to get to Puerto Plata / Sosua. Any info. on where to catch the bus at in Higuey, etc….?

Thanks

Feb 7, 2007
In front of Basilica, at Three Crosses. Just ask for "parada de Santo Domingo". Comfortable buses leave every 15 minutes.

I've never been to Higuey yet, but last month I drove from Santo Domingo to La Romana in order to visit Casa Del Campo and to explore La Romana.
I had no trouble whatsoever with finding my way around or with AMET. I have visited the DR 8 times in the last 21 months and I have rented cars and driven each of those times. Although driving is not the same as the US it is still not that bad. I have driven all over the country, the only parts I haven't been to yet are the far eastern end of the island, Punta Cana, Bavaro, Higuey, etc. La Romana was as close as I got.

The only "horrors" that I've encountered while driving was watching those CaribeTours buses lean so far over that I thought they were going to roll over as the driver flew down the road like a maniac, or pass a Guagua that rolled over for the same reason.

Trust my life on one of them??? I think not. I'll drive and enjoy the freedom it gives me.