Codotel...Almost no Bandwith in Sosua

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Anyone else having really slow internet via Codotel in Sosua.

This started yesterday.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
137 down 211 up when I am paying for 1.5 down and 786 up

Codotel strikes again

I spent 4 hours trying to email 6 reports last night

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Today the entire cable from the house to the street was replaced. I'm getting 235/50 :surprised. 'Sposed to have the 1.5/786 bidness package.

Something ain't right (but thank you belgiank for the use of your banda ancha stick while you're stateside...)

I'm in Jarabacoa.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Codetel keeps lacking with their service, that situation is from 2 years to present (since Slim took over). While they are the ISP with more capacity right now due to heavy investment by previous owners to the infrastructure, I think it's time to start looking for other options, maybe if you can, have a redundant system of 2 ISP's in case Codetel has their shenanigans still going on. The only problem would be cost, but for those which Internet Service and bandwidth are critical (work over the Internet, etc) I think is an idea worth thinking about.

Feb 7, 2007
Today the entire cable from the house to the street was replaced. I'm getting 235/50 :surprised. 'Sposed to have the 1.5/786 bidness package.

Something ain't right (but thank you belgiank for the use of your banda ancha stick while you're stateside...)

I'm in Jarabacoa.

Can you access your modem (usually http://10.0.0.1) and see at what speed are you synchronizing, and what is your "gain" and "attenuation"?

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
I don't use codetel

and have great speed and awesome service. My internet guy has his own towers from Santiago to Puerto Plata. If you want his info, PM me.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Codetel keeps lacking with their service, that situation is from 2 years to present (since Slim took over). While they are the ISP with more capacity right now due to heavy investment by previous owners to the infrastructure, I think it's time to start looking for other options, maybe if you can, have a redundant system of 2 ISP's in case Codetel has their shenanigans still going on. The only problem would be cost, but for those which Internet Service and bandwidth are critical (work over the Internet, etc) I think is an idea worth thinking about.

i've tested tricom and they didn't cut it. Wimax doesn't work from where I live right now. Aster uses Codetel as their backbone. As far as I can tell, there isn't any other option unless you can get wimax. :-(