looking for certain beauty/spa services & other items

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
Hello. I'm in Sosua and becoming familiar with the area although I know there is a lot more of the DR to explore. I've Googled and "Bing" searches but come up with nothing.

Can you help me with the following:

1. Are there any shops that sell aromatherapy products, such as essential oils, candles, elixirs, etc.? I am specifically looking for oils like bergamont, rose, lotus, and perhaps even another diffuser.

2. What about organic products such as those sold at Whole Foods (or, similar places in the U.S.) ... especially Dr. Bronner's Castille soaps.

3. I am also having some difficulty finding spa services such as those offered by an esthetician (e.g., eyebrow, brazilian waxing, European facials, etc.)

4. Finally, do most salons here use power instruments for mani/pedis? I don't like the powered files, etc., and instead much prefer hand filing and shaping of my natural nails.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions! (And, yes, I'm the same one who asked for descriptions of the carro publico ... those answers were hilarious!!!)

D
P.S. Of course, I could have some things shipped to me, but I'd rather buy them here, if possible.

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
Not sure about 'higher end salons' but all the nail places I have been to, they do everything by hand and for cheap! A manicure is an art or so it seems. I have never seen a powered anything, as there usually is no power. If you are in a heavily touristed/resort area things might be different. I highly recomment the local mani/pedi complete with hand drawn nail art for 140$ RD.

I have never found eyebrow waxing, but the local barber will use a straight blade and clean up my eyebrows for 25$RD

Sorry, I'm not sure about your other questions.

Hope that this was some help.

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
thank you XXKWISIT !

Thanks for the tips about mani/pedi ... I will be sure to look for a salon, and those prices are a lot better than the total $88USD for a mani/pedi back home! I'm afraid I'm a bit too conservative for the nail art. I think I might just order a kit from home (U.S.) to use for waxing.

Thanks, again!

D

Not sure about 'higher end salons' but all the nail places I have been to, they do everything by hand and for cheap! A manicure is an art or so it seems. I have never seen a powered anything, as there usually is no power. If you are in a heavily touristed/resort area things might be different. I highly recomment the local mani/pedi complete with hand drawn nail art for 140$ RD.

I have never found eyebrow waxing, but the local barber will use a straight blade and clean up my eyebrows for 25$RD

Sorry, I'm not sure about your other questions.

Hope that this was some help.

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
My daughter is a qualified beauty therapist and will be looking to set up a salon in the Sosua/Cabarete area next year. She was wondering if there were any other salons already set up and how much interest there would be to do this. She's also thinking about operating from home and offering a mobile service too. Can you let me know what you think the interest would be?

Lin

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
Hi Lin,

I am here for an extended stay (perhaps months), but I would be interested in finding a salon where I could get the type of service I want ... no questions, no debate, etc. (I don't get into discussions or debates when I am paying money for a service).

I only know of two salons in the Sosua area, and I am actually in one right now as I write this. I will not be coming here again. Then again, I haven't been all over the Sosua/Cabarete area, either.

A mobile service would be great, too. But, some of the fun of going to the salon for a spa treatment is actually being in the spa. May I ask what is a "beauty therapist"? Is she a licensed esthetician, hairstylist, manicurist, massage therapist? Beauty therapist (where I'm from) covers a wide range of roles.

D

My daughter is a qualified beauty therapist and will be looking to set up a salon in the Sosua/Cabarete area next year. She was wondering if there were any other salons already set up and how much interest there would be to do this. She's also thinking about operating from home and offering a mobile service too. Can you let me know what you think the interest would be?

Lin

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
no dr bonners

I have never found any essential oils here. They have lots of oils for burning but none for the body,,,, it is one of the things that I always buy when I return home... No Dr Bonners, no Burts Bees, nothing along those lines at all.. and I am talking about Sto Dmgo..... now there may be more stuff at some of the resort areas but I think that most of the stuff that they use is manufactured in Europe... not our Whole Foods sort of product.

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
Hi there, she is qualified in the following -

Esthetician
Make up / facials
Manicures / pedicures
Massage therapist
Nail technician (nail extensions and new nails and nail art, gel and acrylic)
Tinting
Waxing
Fake tanning

(Presently completing eyebrow threading and semi-permanent eyelashes courses)

Hope that covers the needs! :bunny:

Lin

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
Mountainannie, are you in SD? There are any number of UK online stores that offer Dr Bronner's products, I will be in Puerto Plata in October for a week so if you would like me to bring you anything, let me know.

Lin

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
thanks but no

Mountainannie, are you in SD? There are any number of UK online stores that offer Dr Bronner's products, I will be in Puerto Plata in October for a week so if you would like me to bring you anything, let me know.

Lin

I have found one shop that carries the Chinese sandlewood soap that I use so that is fine,.. and I am stocked on essential oils from my last trip home.

I live here and do try to adjust!!

but it was a sweet offer and i thank you

Jan 17, 2009
Lin,

The only type of spa place that I know of (and I would go to) in Cabarete is Naomi's. I don't go though because her prices are pretty much US prices if not more. Actually, I do get a manicure in the US when I go back in a very nice spa for $20. Naomi charges $25. I would be very interested in seeing a good spa here with prices more suitable for us expats who live and work here. If your daughter opens one, please let me know. I'll be more than happy to visit.

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
Thanks for your messages, I will let her know of the interest and will certainly post on here to let you know when she sets up her business.

Lin

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
I actually saw a few essential oils at Ochoa (Santiago), believe it or not. They only had about 3 or varieties. I only go to Noemie Day Spa in Cabarete for any spa services. I have had a few manicures/pedis at some of the local (cheap) places, and they make me queasy.

Last edited:

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
Hi JessicaRabbit (love the name!) - there are only a few places in the UK that do these, I had mine done but the girl was not very good (my daughter is in SA for a few months). However, they did look fab and were very easy to maintain. I'm fascinated with the eyebrow threading, now that is very popular!

Lin