VOIP phone, perfect so far.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Move over magicjack and hello googlevoice.

I have been using this gadget for over a month and its working perfectly.
Its a lot complicated to configure than your magicjack but ones its working, it works like a perfect fixed phone (free).
Do research on gizmo5+pap2+google voice.
You must have someone in USA to apply for a google voice number on their webpage and then wait for the invitation. You must log in from USA to get the free number of the area code of your choice. Now you can make changes to the account from anywhere in the world later.
Then open up an account with gizmo5 and get their data. Now I had an old linksys pap2-na (vonage type) adapter laying around. I programmed the gizmo5 configuration on it and forwarded the googlevoice number on to it. Now every time someone calls my google atlanta number, my phone connected to linsys voip box rings my cordless phone (connected to it) and I see called ID of the caller and hold a conversation in perfect voice quality. If I want to call someone, I connect to google voice page and click a phone number on my contact list or simply type in the number and click connect. My fixed phone connected to my vonage type voip unit rings (its actually gizmo5) and I talk to the other party.
Now I have a fixed usa phone at home and its only connected to my router. My laptop is off. Perfect for taking incoming calls. Google voice will forward the calls to any usa number you put in (even to your traveling magicjack). Everyone has to know your googlevoice number and this number can forward your calls to any US phone you are using.
Good luck.
AZB

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
This is very interesting, thanks! But how is the sound quality for international calls? Are those free or there are hidden charges? Can I call someone whose internet connection might not be of very good quality (my family, for example)?

Reactions: mike l

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I applied via a friend in the U.S.A. for Google Voice account and am still waiting for it. This was done weeks ago when you first posted about Google Voice and Gizmo.

Meanwhile I have changed my Vonage U.S. number to the World Plan and from that number call any LANDLINE supposedly in the D.R. for free. I say supposedly because another DR1 member asked me to test the Vonage on his number and even tho it is a landline, Vonage and other companies think it is a cell phone.

I tried calling my Santiago number and a friend of my wife's in Santiago, both calls were free.

Still waiting on Google Voice Account.........

Don

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Interesting post.

These guys seem to feel its pretty unreliable:
Why does GV + Gizmo so unreliable? - Google Voice Help

I admit, its complicated and if your setup is not correct, you will have problems. With trial and errors, I have perfected my system and now I have a very good, free american line which lets me receive calls for free on my phone without having to keep my computer on.
The service is totally free so if there are some dropped calls or calls that are forwarded to voicemail, I can't complain. It works 90% of the times and i am happy with it so far.
Now if you have this googlevoice number forwarded to a few phones and which-ever phone is not turned on, the voicemail of that phone will take over, thus, preventing others phones from ringing.
You guys will learn from your mistakes.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
if you guys want to test my line, I will send you my number via PM. call me and see how well I sound. Its perfect.
AZB

Feb 7, 2007
This one is not free, but has great quality ... and low prices.

CALLCENTRIC

For $2.95 per month and no set up fee, you can get inbound DID numbers from hundreds of U.S. area codes. This offer is called "Dirt Cheap Phone Numbers" and is offered by Callcentric - VoIP Internet phone service

They also have lots of pay-per call and unlimited calling plans (inbound and outbound), national and international.

But for receiving phone calls, unlimited minutes, the $2.95 per-month-no-setup offer is great.

Callcentric works with all VOIP devices, including PAP2, and they have online manuals with pictures.

Thanks to them, I was finally able to get my Nokia Smartphone set up for SIP calls on WIFI networks (which I had been previously trying to do for a year with no luck).

P.S. You can also transfer aka "port" a phone number to them from other VOIP providers. Porting from Vonage and Lingo are proven cases. You can do this if you only want incoming calls and want to keep your number but don't want to pay Vonage or Lingo monthly fee.

Last edited:

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Just did the GV + Gizmo5 + PAP2, thanks AZB:) The Google Voice is pretty cool - dial one number and set off a broadcast chain reaction! I think I'm going to dub it the Bat phone:laugh:

I gotta try the SIP phone deal next. Any ideas which phones will work on WIFI? GV + Gizmo5 + SIP + cell:confused:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I also wish to say "Thanks AZB" for your extremely helpful posts and help with VOIP and the PAP2 ATA.

Don

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks again AZB. Good stuff. I have played with GIZMO and GOOGLEVOICE and they work using my PC. I don't have a PAP2 adapter so I won't be able to use that method at this time.

I ended up purchasing a MagicJack and it works well enough for my needs at the moment while being very reasonable in price.
I might get a thin client XP box off an auction site for the MagicJack which would allow me to have MagicJack on all the time without using a computer.

windguy, if you have a pap2 and you can reach me in DR, I would program it for you. This way, you can have it connected to your router and forward your MJ number to it. Now the PC can be left off.
AZB