Looking for Health Care Jobs in the Santo Domingo area

bren712

Sep 26, 2009
I am moving to the DR on 10/15 and am looking for work in the health care field. I am a medical assistant and a radiology tech. I am not sure what the requirements are to be able to work in the DR but I am researching that now. I would be willing to use my customer service skills to find a job fast to pay the bills as I search for my "dream job". :laugh: Does anyone know of a good place to work that pays enough to live on? I would also like to ask if anyone knows a good place to live. I have found several options but would like to get people on the grounds opinion. Thank you so much!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
STOP RIGHT NOW!!

There are no jobs in that field that you would want. There is no paying jobs that you could get that can pay your bills.

In the US these skills can earn a living wage and are in high demand, according to many reports.

DO NOT EXPECT ANY MORE POSITIVE RESPONSES.

Sorry, but you need to wake up. And, if this is in anyway connected to some romantic relationship, you can double the size of all these letters!!! NEVER ON YOUR LIFE!!

HB

Sep 22, 2009
Hi, good luck in your move. Need some more detail regarding your history, but here are some basics:

1) Are you perfectly fluent in Spanish?
2) Do you have, at minimum, a residential permit?

If you answered no to the above, I'm afraid you may experience some major challenges seeking work. There are numerous threads on this within the forums (use the search).

I actually saw some very intelligent comments in the Legal forum regarding this issue just yesterday.

A Dominican corporation must have 80% of it's payroll going to Dominican nationals. Excpetions are those roles of exclusive executive or managerial nature. To employ a foreigner, they have to prove that you will fill the latter or you possess some rare technical skill that cannot be found here in DR.

That said, as I said just yesterday in the Legal forum you may apply for an RNC (basically an "EIN") number attached to your passport. This will allow the DGII (Dominican IRS) and the employing company to track taxes on revenues to/from foreigners. However, this means you will require a Dominican professional services contract with the organisation in order for you to be compensated for services.

Another way is to create your own Dominican corporation (see Guzman - legal forum). In this manner, you will be able to write professional services contracts with other Domincian corporations.

To have "normal and legit" employment in DR, you need at minimum, a residential permit. If not, you must work "under the table" or seek a professional services contract as mentioned above.

That said, you can still "throw chance to the wind" and create a candidate profile on Aldaba.com (in Spanish) or seek out professional headhunters such as G.A. Tavares.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have more direct questions.

Sep 22, 2009
LONG SHOT:

Try the call centers. Many are doing pharma tele-sales and heath-based phone surveys. They pay an amazing 15-18K pesos/month (n.b. sarcasm) and health benefits after 3 months probation.

They have campaigns exclusively in English, so MAYBE you have a chance. All you need is a valid passport and some references etc. They don't mind hiring folk without Cedulas and/or Residential permits because staff turnover is so high.

bren712

Sep 26, 2009
Thanks to all that replied.
HB, I have a management degree and plenty of other skills where I am employable. I do work in Health Care here but it not a deal breaker if I can't continue there. I also don't having a problem working two jobs plus I not the only worker that will be in the home. And just for your info, I am not romantically involved with a Dominican and am not being mislead in anyway in that department. COUNT ME WOKE UP!

Gringo, thanks for your kind response and all the info. I have looked into call centers although as you stated, the pay is not that great. I don't mind in the beginning to get my foot in the door so to speak. I will get a residential permit and whatever else I need. I am planning on living in the DR for many years so I will get all the legalities over when I move. I am going to check into the Dominican corporation suggestion you referred to and will look it up. Also, thanks for the Aldaba suggestion. Hey, you never know. Thanks for the call center suggestion and also for the kindness to answer more questions that I will have. I am sure I will be talking to you a lot.

Pig, I don't care to work and here in the States, I don't work and come home to go hang out in bars and eat out all the time. I know how to live on a budget and am not a person that needs the luxuries to be happy. Just so you know, even if I was the best looking woman in the world, I would never strip. I would never sell my body or even consider such a thing. I do have a jewelry business that I own and I do have other resources. I have been researching this move for almost a year now just not been on DR1 for that long. I know things there are not as they are in the States. If they were, I would not even consider the move. Even if worse comes to worse and I don't do well, I will pick myself up and keep trying. I am crafty and very good with money. I can sell anything to almost anyone so I have resources.

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be helpful, I would love for you to post and thanks again for all that already have.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All that is well and good: But, how is your Spanish? It is, after all, what is spoken here, even though you might find a lot of people to speak English with you...

Look, I am the Resident Curmudgeon, so it is my duty to make things hard in order to save heartbreak down the line. If there is any kind of "relationship" involved in this precipitous move of yours, stop now and think hard...it is a road to disaster...

If, however you are 5-5 in your Spanish, have lots of relations here, know people and where decisions are made, then come on down...Otherwise, please forget it, since energy, NY street smarts and such will not cut it...Save that return ticket!!

HB

rocker67

Apr 20, 2009
Hillbilly she's a woman...she doesnt think with her head as you and i do! She thinks with her heart, putting herself at a great disadvantage. "oh but i love him" "He needs ME" "he's a great guy and i cant believe how lucky i am to have found HIM...who would have thought???" and all the other romantic/love based notions that exit the mouths of stupid women who cant get a man in thier own country

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
rocker, where did that come from and why here? The OP stated she was not romantically involved with a Dominican. Anyway this is the employment forum, not Mars and Venus. And for every foreign woman in the DR who can't get a man in her own country and thinks with her heart, not her head, there is at least foreign one man who can't get a woman in his own country and thinks with his little head.