Best way to ask MP for assistance..re Immigration Canada

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if those of you who have contacted your MP to get info regarding your hubby's file could give the rest of us some insight on how to do it?

If I were to contact an MP to introduce myself & explain about my husband's application for PR how should I do it? Should I send an email or go in person to their office? I am in (Windsor, Ont ) and I don't know any MP's.

Any suggestions on how to go about this would be very much appreciated.

Thank you, Jess

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if those of you who have contacted your MP to get info regarding your hubby's file could give the rest of us some insight on how to do it?

If I were to contact an MP to introduce myself & explain about my husband's application for PR how should I do it? Should I send an email or go in person to their office? I am in (Windsor, Ont ) and I don't know any MP's.

Any suggestions on how to go about this would be very much appreciated.

Thank you, Jess

Hi Jess;

I contacted my MP by email and I did a follow up with a phone call. I contacted my MP when I needed a fast response from Haiti. It was an urgent matter as the Visa was being issued and the medical was going to expire. I provided them with the B-file number and I also let them know I was the Representative. I did not go in person and they were helpful to me.

There is no law about providing information to you over the phone. There might be policy, but I am sure policy is different with every MP. Find out who your MP is for the Windsor area. There will be an email for them on their website. Good Luck.

Sandy

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
Hi Jessie, We still have not received a confirmation letter for my husbands application although we know it was 'in process' on June 5. For this reason I called my MP's office to ask when we should receive this type of letter and the person told me we should have received something by now (3 months later). He then asked if I would like him to enquire to CIC in Ottawa about our file. I said yes and about 2 1/2 weeks later he let me know that our bring forward date is November 30 and that there weren't any outstanding issues around our file.

To find out who your local MP is just do a google search on Ministers of Parliament and it will take you to a website that lets you pick where you live and then you can contact your MP from there. Not sure where you are in the process but if you don't receive any type of communication from PAP 3-4 months after your 'in process' date I would go ahead and contact your MP.

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
Thank you Barbie38 for your helpful advice, I really appreciate it.

Pig, I have no idea what you're talking about....

Jess

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
Jess1 - Pig is from the UK - they also have MP's so he was referring to the process there (I assume) rather than the process in canada.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
An immigration officer did tell me that your MP will only get the standard answer - so unless your file seems to be taking longer than it should the information they will obtain will just be its in process - however - saying that - I notice many on here seem to get very detailed info from their MP so I'm beginning to think its worth it and I'm keeping it in mind if things don't keep moving after our interview.

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
Thanks for starting this post- I too was wondering how I would go about it if I needed to contact my mp. Great info Barbie!

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
I believe the MP only has the same information that you would receive if you ordered the CAIPS notes. An MP calls Ottawa and they look at the notes that Haiti has entered on your file. They do not talk to haiti themselves, i dont believe.

Some MPs are different than others, some will get you information within a day, some in a couple weeks. My MP does all her immigration files on Thursdays and calls the clients on Fridays with the information. She has many many files she is working on. She is good, but very busy. I am one of many she is updating.

I ordered my CAIPS notes at the beginning of September. They cashed my cheque last week but I still haven't received anything in the mail.

I think its good to order the CAIPS notes. Its only 5 dollars and the more information the better. As for calling MP, I suggest just calling them, going in person doesn't change the process. They need the B file number (or client number if you don't have a B file number yet) and your spouse's birthdate.

cathay

*** Sin Bin ***
Oct 13, 2008
Twillis,
It is a good thing you ordered your CAIPS notes early. I ordered mine the last week in July, received confirmation from Canada Post they received the request on July 31st and I still haven't received them and my husband's interv iew is in 10 days. I am going to call early tomorrow morning (again, cause you usually get an answering machine that says to leave a detailed message) to see what is happening. I really want to see them before my husband's interview.

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
I had a great experience with my MP and still remain in touch. I started by email when i first required the B file number.

We have stayed in contact via email and phone during the entire process. This was one of the first visits we made once my husband landed in Canada.

I found with my MP, email was the quickest way, and under more urgent nature (medicals expiring) we conversed via phone daily....i would start with email and get a feel for the way your MP's office works.

All the best

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Note: Any offensive or non-visa related posts will be deleted.

Our MP's are supposed to be here to help us and to be our voice within the government.

Saying this, often it is not the case. It really depends on the MP as we have learned from other members of this forum.

My advice is to use your MP's help wisely.

They can get your B File number for you if you don't receive an AOR letter.

They can get an update as to what stage your application is at further into the process.

If there are concerns or issues that arise they may be able to provide you with additional information.

If your MP is helpful then you are lucky. If not, your CAIPS notes should be able to tell you the same information that the MP would be able to get.

I do think its a good idea to meet your MP and get to know them. Start to build a relationship with them so that if you do need additional help at some point along the way, they may be more willing to assist.

Sometimes you will need to sign a waiver for them to have permission to access your information.

Each MP is different.

As someone else mentioned the CAIPS notes are $5.00 and you can order them as often as you like. They are taking approximately 6 weeks to arrive.

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
Hello,

Just wondering where you found the CAIPS notes for 5$. The link on this website directs me to a page where they are priced at 40$.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
this is what i did ...

Info on caips notes part 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TO ORDER CAIPS NOTES

There are 5 steps :
1) Fill out Form IMM 5563
2) Fill out Form IMM 5475
3) Include photocopy of both passports/photo id with signature
4) Include $5.00 Payment
5) Send by mail/fax to Ottawa

IMM 5563 “Acess to Information & Personal Information Request”
To be filled out by Sponsor or Representative residing in Canada

IMM 5475 “Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual"
To be filled out by Applicant

$5.00 Payment
Cheque or Money Order made payable to “The Receiver General for Canada”

Mail to:
Public Rights Administration
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Narono Building
360 Laurier Avenue West, 10th floor
Ottawa, ON
K1A 1L1

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Those are exactly the right steps to follow....

The other websites are companies that take care of ordering them for you.
You can do it on your own for $5.00

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
Thanks for the info I am just in the process of getting my husband to sign the IMM5475 and fax back to me. On the IMM5563 it asks for the requestors reference number is that my client # or his B file #?

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
thank you for the prompt replies :)
My next question is if we forgot to fill out the IMM 5563 and the IMM 5475, can I fax it to my hubby and have him fax it back? or does the government want originals? I looked into couriers but they all start around 65$. If they won't take a copy I will just wait until I go back in January. We should have heard something by then, hopefully :)

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
I am the representative for my husband - so I did not send in the IM5475 actually. Just remember that. :) Did you guys sign the use of representative form on your original application? But ... in saying this ... they cashed my cheque but I still haven't received the documents. We'll see if they arrive this week.

As far as copies or originals ... I'll have to let Sangria answer that one. Maybe give CIC a call.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
As far I can tell by reading about CAIPS on another immigration forum, faxes are acceptable.

You need to include a copy of their passport photo page which has their signature on it and I would assume that everything is ok if the signature on the photo matches the signature on the form and the fax is clear and easily read.

The Use of Representative form and the release form for CAIPS notes are different.

Basically, we all have the right to see what the government is saying about us. CAIPS notes give us the only info available on the file.

As your spouses aren't in Canada to request this info on their own, the release form gives the government permission to send you the info on their behalf. It could be sent to anyone in Canada (does not have to be the spouse).

This is similiar to the form you may have to sign in the MP's office if you request their assistance.

This info is pulled from the Public Rights office and not from an immigration office. I am sure its all in the same database but the request is not going to immigration and therefore won't delay, hurt your application or interfere with it in anyway.

Barbie, the requestors number would be whatever number you have. If you have a B file number I would use that but if not your client id will work as well.

The form isnt very easy to understand but just do your best and it will be ok.

The other thing that has been suggested is to include a short note with the forms to officially request the CAIPS notes on your husbands behalf.

Include your husbands DOB, file number/client id #, Visa Processing office for reference and if there is any doubt I am sure they would call you to clarify.