What happened to the "respect" factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I think most would agree that life in the DR is just slightly different to that which some of experienced in our first world countries, i.e. UK, Europe, US, Canada etc. Why, oh why, can certain people not draw from the experience of those who have learned lessons over many years in this different and sometimes difficult cultural climate from those who have been there, done it, worn the T shirt and learned from it?

After living in the DR for 3 1/3 years I know nothing in comparison to those that have lived here 10 years plus and I constantly draw and gain valuable information from those who have more experience and expertise that I do....

No, no-one knows it all, but I respect that most of these people know far more than I do so I listen and learn with interest.... what is the problem with some?????

Reactions: mountainannie

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Well.....

......After living in the DR for 3 1/3 years I know nothing in comparison to those that have lived here 10 years plus and I constantly draw and gain valuable information from those who have more experience and expertise that I do....

No, no-one knows it all, but I respect that most of these people know far more than I do so I listen and learn with interest.... what is the problem with some?????

I am going to respond here because I think I am partially to blame for this topic, it springs I believe from another thread called the driving thread, and a discussion that ensued at the end of that thread.

I think you missed read some of what I was saying, I don't think anyone was and I know I certainly wasn't advocating disrespecting anyone, and certainly not someone with experience. But having said that I said and I still believe that just because someone was some place for a certain amount of time, or in the particular case since this is really what got the thread to move in that direction, or has a greater number of posts, that doesn't mean that everything they say on a particular subject is gospel. Someone with less time in country or less posts' opinion can be just if not more valid on some subjects.

By the way I copied the last paragraph of what I said on the subject in the other thread, and you will note that I use the word respect in regards to other's opinions twice:

"I say this as someone who is definitely not a newbie on this planet as my next birthday I will have a half a century under me, but having said that it doesn't mean that my opinions are more valuable or more correct than someone who has only 25 years or less on this planet. Actually sometimes what is more valuable is the person, who has less time and not set in his or her ways, and look at things from a new or different perspective. I will always respect the opinions of others especially the opinions of my elders, but the fact that I respect those opinions doesn't mean they are right."

I will give one quick example to illustrate my point. Let's say I was opening up a club in Santo Domingo for example, and there were two guys who had opened up clubs in Santo Domingo previously. One guy had lived in Santo Doming for let's say 25 yrs. and had a club his first 15 years in the country and has since retired and hasn't been involved in the business now for 10 years. The other person has been in country for only a year, but currently owns a club and has for the past 9 months.

Now the person with the more experience is obviously the first person, and I am sure he could give me some good advice regarding opening up a club, but the more valuable info may come from the person who is current in the business although he has only had 9 months experience compared to 15 years and has only been in country 1 year. Obviously the reason is that the second person info is more current and he is actually involved now, whereas the former person's info may be some what outdated.

Status
Not open for further replies.