Gyms in/near Piantini (Sto Dgo)

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Hi all,

I've been living here for a couple of months and haven't had any luck finding a gym other than Body Shop or Gold's. While I understand that gyms can be costly, paying a $200-300 deposit AND $60 a month is just more than I'm willing to spend. Can anyone offer a suggestion of where my fiance and I might be able to workout in/near Ensanche Piantini? I'd really like to be able to walk/run there if possible.

Many thanks!

Sep 22, 2009
Unfortunately you don't have many options. Golds is an excellent facility and a great social scene (Body Shop being a bit more dated).

Around the Distrito Nacional there are dozens of smaller "sweat-shop" style gyms that remind me of something out of "Pumping Iron" (Arnold's first documentary of body building). Generally shotty equipment and lots of "street dudes". That's not to say there aren't some decent smaller facilities that you may find comfortable. They seem to be all over the less-affluent neighborhoods, and I can't see to many ex-pats getting on in those environments (but I'm sure there are the execptions).

Thing is, Piantini is a very trendy spot and it would be beneath the Dominicans to have an "inexpensive" gym in that area. Only the biggest, best and most expensive will do :)

But keep looking, I could be overlooking something that another community member may be aware of!

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Thanks for the reply, gringobiz! Do you happen to know what the cost comparison is at Golds vs. Body Shop? And, do you know how far Golds is from Piantini? One of my coworkers showed me the two Body Shop locations on the map, but I don't know where Golds is exactly. Many thanks!

Sep 22, 2009
Gold’s Gym
Calle Paseo de los Locutores 58
Evaristo Morales, Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic

If you don't have a car, I would take a taxi.
Gold's is about 8000 pesos initiation followed by 1600/month (more or less)

You will always find some of DR's top business folk training there!

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
the others option you have nearby are:
Body health club, Ave. 27 de Febrero at Ortega Gasset. across the street from centro olimpico.
Club de la Salud , Ave. 27 de Febrero, near Winston churchill.
boths have decent facilities. do not expect golds or Body shop equipments, but you can do you workout without problems.
the clientele in both are medium class.
monthly payment is less than 1000pesos.
good luck

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Thank you, gringobiz and johnny! I will definitely check out the two gyms suggested and keep gold's in mind if all else fails. Any other suggestions are appreciated, too!