Volleyball in Santo Domingo?

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Hi all,

One more question (I thought it best to start a new thread) - where can I play volleyball in Santo Domingo? I've been dying to find an intramural team where I can play at least once a week. I'd really like to play competitively in an intramural league.

Any (any, any, any) advice is truly appreciated. This is something that I really miss from back home and I'd be thrilled if I could find a way to continue playing here.:bunny:

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
At Body Shop in Naco I have seen them play volleyball. I think they have different teams.

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Ah, I'm trying to avoid becoming a member of Body Shop. While it sounds like an amazing facility, it's just so expensive! But, that's wonderful information. If I can't find anywhere else to play volleyball or workout, I might just have to suck it up and pay the hefty monthly fee.

May I ask - are you a member? If so, how much do you pay a month? Do you know if they give you a break on the initiation fee if two people join (my fiance and me)?

Many thanks!

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
you can play vollyball at Centro Olimpico. they have a nice facilities. and it?s free.
if you are a pro player, you can get you dominican nationality lol, but remember dominican female volly team is one of the best in the world.
if you are not a pro, they are still some volly courts where they play for fun.

Latibbean

Mar 19, 2009
Hi,

I was in the same situation as you regarding volley in Santo Domingo. This week, I just started playing in a couple of places and starting to have some info. If you are still around a looking for info, just drop me a line and I'll let you know.

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Still looking...

Sorry it took me awhile to respond (I just saw the responses). I went to Centro Olimpico two weeks ago and the only courts I saw were outdoor and pretty run down. Are there indoor courts? Latibbean, I sent you a PM.

Any other info., guys? :)

Latibbean

Mar 19, 2009
Hi,

I also sent you a PM voleibolchica.

For anyone reading the thread I can share what I know of volleyball in the city so far.

The VB federation takes care almost only of the National teams and help out with the different school programs. Then you have the yearly sport even of people working in Banks. The Banco Central organizes a massive sports event for all local banks. Thanks to that, it seems that the Banks volleyball teams are the ones better organized. Apart from banks, you also have vb teams in some large companies such as Orange, Codetel, etc..
As far as I know the only real tournament is the one for banks, apart from that, teams just train/play to play with each other without any "league" organization.

There is also volleyball through out town in schools. These sessions are usually only about playing without any training. You can't easily find them but I can point out a couple. I played in Loyola (Lincoln/malecon), Apostolado (Gazcue). Also had info on Saint Georges (Arroyo Hondo), somewhere in Los Prados and also in la UASD on sundays. Levels are very different in these sessions, but very friendly of course.

Now that I've met some players in the social leagues, I'll be heading to the Olympic center to check out the different sessions. I've been told that people play indoor volley about everyday from 6pm to 9pm. There are 5 courts in the Pavellon de Voleibol that are used.

Hope this helps people looking for volleyball.

Latibbean