Plasma TV Purchase

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
Hello,

I am requesting some direction on where I can purchase a Plasma TV. I been to the big 3, their prices of course are on the high side compared to the states, which I try not to compare with any longer...What for, then was then, now is now..Anyway, I been looking for a 42" or bigger for cheaper than 38,000 Pesos. I found a Panasonic 42" in Plaza Lama for 39,000, Panasonic Model # TCP42X1 2 Year Warranty. I also went to Carrefour (not sure of the spelling) Their prices are a tad higher, and Serina is close to the same as Plaza Lama. I also looked at a few stores in the states, but with the shipping, risk of damage etc, I better just make the purchase here in the DR. I am located in Santo Domingo close to the Quisqueya area. My budget is about 44,000 Pesos

Also, if you have knowledge on the Plasma, what additions can I purchase to pull maximum performance out of it. Meaning, change the factory cables to monster cables etc.. I will be using my Sonic View 360 Premier with a 5 footer pulling in Sat's 119/110 for a better quality of picture, not cable.

I appreciate any feedback that you can provide and I look forward to your posts.

Thank You,

Noel

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I think there is a Price Smart in SD, not sure as I'm on the north coast. There is one in Santiago.

Their prices on Plasma / LCD tellies are very competitive.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes a Pricemart in SD-Located in Urb. Fernandez on on Charles Summer a few blocks west of Churchill.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
not long enough here to give you any info about finding the best price... but just to warn you... La Sirena only gives a 5 days warranty on electrical supplies (discovered it the hard way with a blender)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Price Smart or Plaza Lama

I year warranty. After that Santana in Santiago can fix it.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Hello,

I am requesting some direction on where I can purchase a Plasma TV. I been to the big 3, their prices of course are on the high side compared to the states, which I try not to compare with any longer...What for, then was then, now is now..Anyway, I been looking for a 42" or bigger for cheaper than 38,000 Pesos. I found a Panasonic 42" in Plaza Lama for 39,000, Panasonic Model # TCP42X1 2 Year Warranty. I also went to Carrefour (not sure of the spelling) Their prices are a tad higher, and Serina is close to the same as Plaza Lama. I also looked at a few stores in the states, but with the shipping, risk of damage etc, I better just make the purchase here in the DR. I am located in Santo Domingo close to the Quisqueya area. My budget is about 44,000 Pesos

Also, if you have knowledge on the Plasma, what additions can I purchase to pull maximum performance out of it. Meaning, change the factory cables to monster cables etc.. I will be using my Sonic View 360 Premier with a 5 footer pulling in Sat's 119/110 for a better quality of picture, not cable.

I appreciate any feedback that you can provide and I look forward to your posts.

Thank You,

Noel
a friend of mine purchased one at the new plaza lama on maximo gomez...a lg plasma,42 inch...beautiful picture...he has claro tv...paid around what your budget is...it was the best price we could find for that tv...price mart was higher...
bob

Nov 25, 2008
I purchased a 42" Toshiba LCD from Pricesmart a while back, cant beat their guarantee; after using it for about 3 weeks I exchanged it for the 42" that came available, one year warranty.
None of the stores does this, they are also in SD

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
PriceSmart has the best prices and warranty/service. Plasma TV is on the way out that is why prices have dropped...put your money on LCD or if you can increase your budget go for the LED from Samsung or Sony....

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
First we need to "relativate" the concept of "warranty" in this country. Only very few companies in this country know what it means and again only a very few of them, can handle warranty cases. I mean, who do you think they'd send all the various brand and model appliances for repair to? Most large brand companies don't have much more than a commercial representation in the country, IF that much. :bunny:

So, my advice is, to look at reputable brands. Check the internet FIRST on the particular model offered (even byPriceSmart and especially Casa Lama) as they all have quite a record of offering products here, which have prooven to be "lemons" in "that other country" where all the goodies are said to come from. And then, buy price conscious and know that the money "invested" may very well be money spent or wasted.

... J-D.

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
Great feedback! Sounds like I'm going to stay on Plaza lama..I would rather have a Plasma, the reason why is, the LCD tends to fade from the side. So if your not directly in front, it looks off color or is not so clear. I think Bob was the one that suggested go with Plaza lama as well, sounds good to me too ;)

Thanks again!

Noel

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Great feedback! Sounds like I'm going to stay on Plaza lama..I would rather have a Plasma, the reason why is, the LCD tends to fade from the side. So if your not directly in front, it looks off color or is not so clear. I think Bob was the one that suggested go with Plaza lama as well, sounds good to me too ;)

Thanks again!

Noel

While I prefer PriceSmart, you CAN bargain a little at Plaza Lama when doing large purchases...

... J-D.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I would honestly buy in the USA or outside the DR and ship it. I don't trust electronics in the DR. But that's just me and a whole bunch of people.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I would honestly buy in the USA or outside the DR and ship it. I don't trust electronics in the DR. But that's just me and a whole bunch of people.

I agree on the concept that it is usually worth while considering buying electronics in the States at a hefty discount, since the warranty thingy here is not so great anyway. However, with large flat screen TV's this has a here well documented record of, well... lets say, a questionable success rate(?).
"Luxury" electronics is the one thing our "friendly" customs agents really fancy. Flat screen TV's, because of their size weight and shape are somewhat difficult to sneak in hidden in between the beauty case and a pair of stinky socks... so... :ermm:

... J-D.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I agree on the concept that it is usually worth while considering buying electronics in the States at a hefty discount, since the warranty thingy here is not so great anyway. However, with large flat screen TV's this has a here well documented record of, well... lets say, a questionable success rate(?).
"Luxury" electronics is the one thing our "friendly" customs agents really fancy. Flat screen TV's, because of their size weight and shape are somewhat difficult to sneak in hidden in between the beauty case and a pair of stinky socks... so... :ermm:

... J-D.
I was looking to buy a 32" flat. Price 329.00. Here's the catch. Repacking and shipping from Miami (EPS) about 250.00 + 150.00 (Estimate) duty, that over 25,000.00 RD. I think I'll look at Plaza Lama myself.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I was looking to buy a 32" flat. Price 329.00. Here's the catch. Repacking and shipping from Miami (EPS) about 250.00 + 150.00 (Estimate) duty, that over 25,000.00 RD. I think I'll look at Plaza Lama myself.

Pricemart right now has a Samsung 32" for 26,999 pesos and a Toshiba for 27,999, both great units.

ElizPuntaCana

Sep 21, 2009
I would go with the LCD. I just did a lot of research for my father who was loking for a big screen. He ended up getting a 50" plasma and regreted it. He went back and bought a LCD, and is happy. Here is what you need to look for in an LCD. You want at least 1080 pixels and, if your a sports person 120HZ. The plasma technology will be obsolete in a couple of years anyway. I would also go with PriceMart, maybe because they are more American they might honor the manufacturer warrenty. Good luck and enjoy. My husband and I ordered an LCD from the states and can't wait to get!