What would you bring

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Knowing what you now know from living in the DR; What 5 things would you bring with you from States/Canada if you were relocating all over again and why? Only restriction is they each have to be able to fit in a suitcase. What would you bring with you?

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
laptop, ipod, nice but small digital camera, small but loud speakers, plenty of comfortable and high quality underwear...all more expensive here, all can improve your quality of life ;)

ok, if you aren't picky about underwear, go for an external hard drive full of movies and tv shows...

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
My "solar generator"....two 25w solar panels, a 750w invertor and a couple other pieces. I'd buy the batteries it charges there.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Can I bring my golf clubs?
-MacBook Pro
-mask and fins
-Olympus Stylus camera
-A manual for an Olympus Stylus camera

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
  • money
  • money
  • money
  • money
  • and, uhm, money

if you have that, everything else is easy

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
1. more shoes (I wear size 12E, and Dominicanos generally have small feet)
2. Miracle Whip salad dressing (I have only found horrible oily substitute mayonesa here)
3. Arm & Hammer baking soda (doesn't exist here)
4. an ATM card from a US bank (never used one before and didn't arrange for this)
5. Caribbean hot salsa (closest I have found is Tabasco sauce, which isn't spicy at all)

carib

Jul 16, 2002
my list

1) Cow for real milk (small suit case size cow)
2) Pool leveler
3) English Muffins
4) Pizza crusts
5) SS BBQ grill (I have one in my suitcase for my trip next week)

carib

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just in case some of you were wondering, some posts were deleted. This is a perfectly reasonable question from a poster who comes from the US or Canada about what to bring from his/her part of the world.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
What would I bring??

Bedding.... the quality here is average and expensive.
Towels ... same reason
Shoes -- Flip flops are not always what I want
Favourite spices and seasonings
Ziploc bags - expensive for good ones..
and #6 if you are an avid reader Books!!!! and more Books.

It is really the simple things you end us missing, for me at least. Good salad fixings, different veggies, the big stuff is available as the OP said Money!!!!

Sep 22, 2009
Amazon.com anyone?

Knowing what you now know from living in the DR; What 5 things would you bring with you from States/Canada if you were relocating all over again and why? Only restriction is they each have to be able to fit in a suitcase. What would you bring with you?

Don't sweat every little luxury item that you can't live without. I order weekly from Amazon.com and have it delivered to my courrier account (thousands do this now).

That said, I ALWAYS pack my favorite gourmet coffee in Ziplock freezer bags. I love Cafe Santo Domingo, but being a New Yorker, I'm used to "switching up" the blends every now and then.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
lots of Hanes briefs
grey poupon
Nathan's hot dogs
extra prescription meds to hold me over
lots of XS thongs for the chicas (Hey, you asked)

Sep 22, 2009
My "solar generator"....two 25w solar panels, a 750w invertor and a couple other pieces. I'd buy the batteries it charges there.

I always travel with my solar panels and wind turbines, but sometimes they make me check it in while boarding the plane.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Some cheaper, practical stuff...

I know, I already named my 5, but here are some lower ticket items:
-Nice ink pens
-Leatherman knife
-Good vegetable peeler
-Small stock of favorite hygiene items if you are particular about them (lotion, deodorant, acne/face wash, perfume)
-Picture album of your friends, family, pets, places you've been, etc.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
5 things

OMG!!! The veggie peeler...... I brought one with me and yes I did, threw it out with the peelings!!!!!! Have not found a great one since!!! So bring lots, you can sell them to people like me... only some won't admit to tossing it!! lol

Sep 22, 2009
I also always stop by Home Depot. ANYTHING you find there is worth paying the additional luggage surcharge.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
1. Lots of contact lens cleaner/solution. (Can't buy my kind here.)

2. Good garlic press

3. George Foreman grill

4. "Exotic" spices that aren't easily available here, like various Indian and Asian varieties. (Or, alternately, smuggle in some herb seeds.)

5. More than one women's bathing suit. (I have found it near impossible to find a decent suit here that covers what needs to be covered!)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
300 count cotton cheaper here

Bedding.... the quality here is average and expensive.
Towels ... same reason
Shoes -- Flip flops are not always what I want
Favourite spices and seasonings
Ziploc bags - expensive for good ones..
and #6 if you are an avid reader Books!!!! and more Books.

It is really the simple things you end us missing, for me at least. Good salad fixings, different veggies, the big stuff is available as the OP said Money!!!!

Hey, I have found that the really good cotton sheets are actually cheaper here!

PLUS I have now a REALLY GOOD VEGGIE PEELER and can opener and garlic press -- ok, yes, the first three to five that I bought were duds!!

And you can get the portable BOSE speakers at Pricesmart for about the same price that I paid for them in the STates.

But really if you all come to the Capital a bit more to shop, you will find that the country is pretty well stocked..OK,, so it may take some traveling about to find the right stores.... (I know that the dR1 guide is going to fix that!)

I would ditto the shoes... since sizes are hard to find -
And I would have brought more of my music collection-
And more really light weight cotton clothes -polyester seems a favorite here

ditto the personal care -- like lip gloss and such

I still miss my great copper pots... but I think that they would use up the whole weight allowance on the plane@!

Aug 21, 2007
1. Good Season's salad dressing mix. And Hormel pepperoni.
2. New summer clothes.....from the clearance rack, if necessary....cottons only last a few months here before losing color and shape.
3. Yes- seasonings in general. You can make anything taste "right" if you have the right seasonings....Italian sausage seasoning, sate seasoning, taco seasoning, Bay seasoning, etc., etc.
4. Some simple electronics that are hard to get here...and it changes with each visit.
5. Dog chewies and treats.

(Yes, even the dog's are spoiled.)

Lindsey

Lindsey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo was in USA last week and i asked him to bring:
1. cosmetics - face cream, face wash, nice nail polish
2. bread maker
3. electric grill
4. sports bra
5. chocolate

Aug 21, 2007
miesposo was in USA last week and i asked him to bring:
1. cosmetics - face cream, face wash, nice nail polish
2. bread maker
3. electric grill
4. sports bra
5. chocolate

Yes, dv8, I agree. I also always need to bring cosmetics. I also ask others to bring me chocolate. I just ordered- to be delivered via EPS- a special bra. And, while I would love a bread machine, I alway rationalize NOT needing it because the local German baker makes such great bread....and to have my own machine would only make me fatter.

Lindsey