Culture Shock

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
During my recent trip to the Dominican Republic I was exposed to the gender culture. I was introduced to a young woman in Santiago and we went out for dinner. We returned to my hotel later to use my laptop for translating because my Spanish is very basic. When we entered the room she noticed my unpacked suitcase on the bed. She immediately unpacked my suitcase and put everything away. I sat on the bed and started to remove my shoes but she took over and did it. I put sugar in my coffee and she is stirring it before I have a chance. She tried to clean the hotel room, twice. Finally I just let her. She always tried to defer to me when I would ask her something. Now, I have always done for my self so this was an experience. I have been told that this is part of the culture and normal. Looking for some more experienced observations on the subject. Oh, and she is a very nice girl. Has a decent job and went home alone every night we went out. She told me she was raised in the campo if that makes a difference.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Overture

During my recent trip to the Dominican Republic I was exposed to the gender culture. I was introduced to a young woman in Santiago and we went out for dinner. We returned to my hotel later to use my laptop for translating because my Spanish is very basic. When we entered the room she noticed my unpacked suitcase on the bed. She immediately unpacked my suitcase and put everything away. I sat on the bed and started to remove my shoes but she took over and did it. I put sugar in my coffee and she is stirring it before I have a chance. She tried to clean the hotel room, twice. Finally I just let her. She always tried to defer to me when I would ask her something. Now, I have always done for my self so this was an experience. I have been told that this is part of the culture and normal. Looking for some more experienced observations on the subject. Oh, and she is a very nice girl. Has a decent job and went home alone every night we went out. She told me she was raised in the campo if that makes a difference.

I call it "part 1".
It's only the 'culture' in certain girls to go to your hotel room 'tan rapidamente'.... :cheeky:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Oh dude watch out. Read all the stuff people have posted on here time and time again over the years. You will get the idea.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
She's probably a country girl. She might be a bit uneducated, but could be a really nice person and worth getting to know. It sounds like she has good intentions since she's trying to take care of you.

I wouldn't be concerned; I think you should treat her well.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Customs

Of course I paid for dinner. I would have paid for dinner no matter what country I was in when out with a woman. And she did not stay in my hotel room; only went there to use my laptop. She never asked me for anything and she has a job. I am well aware of the possible "sankie" angle but that was not my question. Is her behavior part of the macho culture in the DR? One person told me that this is what the woman brings to the table in a relationship, largely because the man is the bread winner, and they take pride in their contribution to the relationship. Is this common and part of the culture?

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
.....[/I] Is her behavior part of the macho culture in the DR? One person told me that this is what the woman brings to the table in a relationship, largely because the man is the bread winner, and they take pride in their contribution to the relationship. Is this common and part of the culture?

YES!!!

Personally I prefer to do for myself around the house, that is just me, and it is something that most Dominicanas don't get, and feel that I don't appreciate them because of it, but I do these things for myself (I prefer to be in control of my living space), not for them.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005

If she, was really raised in the campo, it could be true. Ask her fro the name of the campo where she was raised and then posted back.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Maybe she has OCD.

One of my sisters-in-law is like that when she visits, she just can't help it.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Ocd?

Maybe she has OCD.

One of my sisters-in-law is like that when she visits, she just can't help it.

If that is the case then it is of epidemic porportions, among Dominican women and someone should call the health department and look into it. ;)

Just kidding with you, it does seem to be cultural though the way women were brought up down here, always sweeping and mopping etc.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The other sisters in law are houseproud, but do not feel compelled to rearrange the ornaments when they visit other people!

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
It's the way we are raised. My mom and her sister were raised to do everything for the men in the house, they had to do everything for their two brothers. They are both college educated, professional women who grew up in the big city of Santiago, so it has nothing to do with growing up in a campo.

My mom raised me in a similar way and I grew up in the U.S. She gets upset if she visits me and sees my husband pick up his dinner plate and put it in the sink after he is done eating. She thinks I should be doing everything for him even though I work a full time job also.

Kajuilito

Sep 12, 2009
Yes. Its part of the culture. Women serve, men do whatever they want. Its extremely convenient for men (*ahem* Pig) but not so much for the women, as they seem to believe their purpose in life is to serve and be a maid to men.

So its "lovely" if you're a man and, well, exploitative if you're a woman.

Wish I could send some of these NY women down there for some training in the Campo!!! :)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Yes. Its part of the culture. Women serve, men do whatever they want. Its extremely convenient for men (*ahem* Pig) but not so much for the women, as they seem to believe their purpose in life is to serve and be a maid to men.

So its "lovely" if you're a man and, well, exploitative if you're a woman.

Is that because US culture is the One True Way. ?

Kajuilito

Sep 12, 2009
Is that because US culture is the One True Way. ?

No, Its because even though this culture is wonderful for men, it hurts and demeans women and makes them out to be second class citizens, whether expats see them that way or not. Dominican men usually do. Nothing to do with the US and more to do with basic equality that people deserve everywhere. If this wasnt a problem there wouldnt be so many emerging feminist groups in the DR. Some ladies are tired of it and others simply dont know any better. See the "Dominican women and cheating" thread.

Kajuilito

Sep 12, 2009
I reverse that on you 100%, well in my experience anyway! We all have our place in the home, in life and in each others lives, without these places to belong we would only be lost souls searching for something we didn't even know existed. In effect we are all here to serve each other in some form or another, whether you like it or not.

<am I getting rather heavy for you guys now, just tell me to shut up if I am, I can speak none alien also>

Let us note that you werent raised as a Dominican man to see women as "less than". So you dont treat her like some of them would and therefore it works and you are both happy. This is not usually the case. See the "Dominican women and cheating" thread.

Kajuilito

Sep 12, 2009
Can't find that thread my friend. I would like to see what direction this arguement takes though, I already have a good idea in my mind how this will pan out.

Sorry for my idiosity, I still can't find it, can you link me up?

Heres a DR1 link to an article http://dr1.com/articles/machismo.shtml

and the thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/men-mars-women-venus/92771-dominican-women-cheating.html

Basically its insanity to deny the gender-based oppression women in the DR face due to the typical latin-american "machismo" attitude that many expats dont necessarily share (thats not to say it doesnt exist everywhere to varying degrees). There are real and true VERY negative effects, as cute as it may seem for those who dont understand the plight of dominican women.