Colmado Cuisine: Recipes Wanted!!

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I would like some recipes or ideas for food that can be prepared with items that can MOSTLY be purchased at a local colmado. I'm not talking about Dominican food, although I do like it and have seen Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook.

I like to cook and try new things, and am just getting tired of the same old chow. It doesn't have to be anything revolutionary, just something that people might overlook or not consider.

Here are some parameters:
-Should include mostly ingredients that are typical to Dominican colmados
-1 or 2 ingredients can be special things you would have to buy at the supermarket
-Fusion food is very acceptable, such as something Dominican with an international flair to it
-The cheaper, the better, as it could help folks who are trying to live low-budget but don't want to sacrifice too much in the kitchen
-There are surely some recipes for international dishes where all of the ingredients can be found at the colmado

So, what's cookin'? :)

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Got one for you. The staple of the poor...locrio de pica pica. You can buy cans of pica pica in any colmado in the DR.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Chinese fried rice. Cook rice. cool. fry onions, eggs (like an omelette then cut into pieces). Add rice to onions. Add ahi (green peppers), a small tin of sweet corn, tomatoes, eggs, ham cut up or pork chops (chuleta). add soya sauce (salsa china) until all is brown. Delicious.

matilda

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Waldo Surprise

Waldo Surprise:

-2 bags fideos
-3 Knorr chicken cubes
-1 can at?n
-1 1/2 cups leche
-2 pats of butter
-oregano to taste

Boil the fideos until tender. Drain most of the water (but not all). Crumble and add the chicken cubes, leche, butter, oregano and tuna, and stir well. Cover and put back on low heat for 5 minutes or so. Stir again and serve.

If you object to the amount of salt in the chicken cubes, then eliminate the butter, the chicken cubes and 1/2 cup of leche and substitute with 1 can of Cream of Chicken soup.

Sep 22, 2009
Killer pasta with tuna in cream sauce - all from your local Colmado

My personal favorite:

1 Can Carnation (sabor Queso)
1 Can tuna (pref. Cherry Star, cuz Brunswick is so bad unless in Trozos)
1 1/2 pound speghetti or mostacholi (penne)
1 sopita (dona gallina - the BEST sopita)
A little diced onion (chopped fine)
A little chopped garlic (optional)

1) Boil pasta al dente, drain - set aside.
2) Sautee onions and garlic in butter or olive oil, add sopita cube, blend well.
3) Add drained tuna, mix, heat for 1 minute or so
4) Add carnation, mix, let come to a small simmer

5) Pour over pasta or mix in.

When Gouda is available, it's delicious to add a piece or two.

For more servings, scale accordingly. Other spices may be used to personal taste. May use white wine when sauteeing tuna. May add finely chopped ahi verde also. I have a million variations.

Enjoy

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Steak with rice, green beans and tomato salad:

Buy the thin cut "bistec pasado por la maquina" at the local carneceria or colmado for RD85 a lb, season with salt and pepper or sason adobo and fry in a pan for about 5 min both sides. While steak is cooking, soak some sliced onions in lemon juice to be sauteed after steak is done.

Rice: cook the normal way but instead of eating with beans eat with gravy. Buy chicken or beef bullion "cubitos" and add a little oil and flour and salt and sautee until thickened.

Green beans "vaina": Buy fresh, wash thoroughly and sautee in the same steak pan. A simple sauce of lemon juice and dijon mustard can be made.

Tomato salad: Slice cold ripe tomatoes and either make a simple vinagrette or serve with mayo and salt and pepper.

Buen provecho!

Feb 7, 2007
French Potatoes (not French Fries!)

Best prepared in casserole pan.

You need:
- Potatoes, medium to large ones (about 6 pounds, or more depending how big your pan is)
- Chorrizo (sausage, smoked preferrably - e.g. German or Spanish sausage - here it's called Chorrizo "El Cid") - you can replace with longaniza or salami or ham - fried
- 8-10 eggs (hard boiled) --I like many!
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of milk

Cook the potatoes in boiling water with the skin on. Hard boil the eggs.
When potatoes are cooked (they should not be very tender like falling apart, medium hard but not raw) remove the skin. Cut the potatoes into circles, about 1/3 inch (1 cm) thick. Do the same with eggs.

1) Pour some cooking or olive oil onto the bottom of the pan.
2) Put the first level of potato circles.
3) Next, put the level of hard boiled egg circles.
4) Next, put the level of smoked sausage or fried longaniza or salami or ham - cut into small pieces to your liking.
5) Next, potato level.
6) Next, hard boiled egg level.
7) Next, sausage/longaniza/ham level.
8) Next, potato level.
9) Salt and pepper in between to your liking.

10) Mix 2 eggs with some milk and salt until it's sauce-like.
11) Pour this on top of the final potato level.
12) Next, put some cheese on top - can be in slices, grated, anything you like.
13) Salt and pepper to your liking.
14) Sparkle with olive or cooking oil.
15) Bake in the oven on medium heat for about 45 minutes.

Buen provecho!