Intensive English Classes in North Coast

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
Does anyone know of a language school that has intensive English classes located in the north coast. I know there are some in Santo Domingo but not sure of those in the north. They are for my Dominican husband and when I ask him he only knows of "his boys that speak english" that teach private english classes which is what he is doing now. However there is no true structure and he is not learning fast enough.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Preparing For Export?

Does anyone know of a language school that has intensive English classes located in the north coast. __ "his boys that speak english" that teach private english classes __

BE or AE?
How about you learning Spanish?

donP

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
I know spanish

He is moving to America and I am trying to get him as much English down there prior to the move so that it can be a tad more seamless for him.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Clever Investment

He is moving to America and I am trying to get him as much English down there prior to the move so that it can be a tad more seamless for him.

That's great and he's investing his money very well... :bunny:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
My husband attended the Renovation Institute in Puerto Plata.

I believe the classes were 4-5 nights a week for 2 hours.

I should add that I don't think it was very expensive either....I will have to ask him what he paid but I think around 500 or 700 pesos per month.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Best of luck. Jusat make sure that whatever school he atytends that he has real grammar books instead of notes and that he frequently has homework. He needs to learn the structure of the language well and once he does that it will be much easier to learn to speak, with you of course.

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
Exactly

Best of luck. Jusat make sure that whatever school he atytends that he has real grammar books instead of notes and that he frequently has homework. He needs to learn the structure of the language well and once he does that it will be much easier to learn to speak, with you of course.

That is what I mean. His current class consist of him taking notes that he studies all the time but there is no real grammar books utilized. That is why I am asking.

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
My husband attended the Renovation Institute in Puerto Plata.

I believe the classes were 4-5 nights a week for 2 hours.

I should add that I don't think it was very expensive either....I will have to ask him what he paid but I think around 500 or 700 pesos per month.

That would be great if you could ask him. I think that would be perfect. He lives in Sabanetta but could travel to Puerto Plata daily for the class.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
No problem..I will post the info tonight when he comes home from work.

I will add that he had text books, tests and exams.......grammar & conversational english were taught together.

They had word lists each week that they had to learn and then use them correctly in sentences. They had to get up in front of the class and do speeches using the words they learned. Sometimes it was prepared for them and they had to memorize it....other times they were given a topic and had to write/speak on their own.

I have nothing to compare it to but it seems like a good program.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
does he use the computer ? he could try livemocha.com and busuu.com for extra practise....I got addicted to correcting people lol they both have some free features which are not bad.

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
Unfortunately no

does he use the computer ? he could try livemocha.com and busuu.com for extra practise....I got addicted to correcting people lol they both have some free features which are not bad.

He is not much into the computer. I bought him a laptop for his birthday thinking that it would be good for him. However he was a little less than enthusiastic but tried to hide it. After badgering him to tell me the truth he really wanted me to take it back and perferred shoes. So I bought him 2 pairs of shoes which were the equivalent of $30 US dollars. He was happy and I had laptop. LOL

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Great resource indeed...

I have the book also because I am a lover of language and always look for ways to sharpen my skills. I stumbled across the book last year when I was looking for a good English text book but they are not easy to find in book stores unless you order them online. Specifically, I was hoping to find a good resource by McGraw-Hill. However, I found the one by Michael Swan among the group of choices, browsed through it and realized that it is a great resource.

28048dh.jpg

In my opinion, it is not for beginners though. I believe it will be most helpful for educators, native English speakers, advanced second language and bilingual speakers. It really defines grammatical concepts and points out common errors heard in everyday speech by all. It's perfect for classroom or independent study.

My two cents.

-Marianopolita.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I will add that he had text books, tests and exams.......grammar & conversational english were taught together.

Renovacion Institute is on the floor above Renovacion bookshop and owned by the same people, I believe, so they would be au fait with textbooks. I've seen a lot of students going in there for late afternoon classes so it appears to be popular.

meregirl, it's on Duarte if your husband wants to know where it is, the end of Duarte near Plaza Independencia, the old Parque Central, opposite the Fundacion Camaa?o.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Renovacion Institute is on the floor above Renovacion bookshop and owned by the same people, I believe, so they would be au fait with textbooks. I've seen a lot of students going in there for late afternoon classes so it appears to be popular.

meregirl, it's on Duarte if your husband wants to know where it is, the end of Duarte near Plaza Independencia, the old Parque Central, opposite the Fundacion Camaa?o.

Thanks for adding the location! I've been there a few times to have my computer fixed but I couldn't remember the name of the street.

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
Thank you!

Lambada I can always count on you for directions! You are the best.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Thanks for recommending the Michael Swan book.

Can anyone recommend a good text book for teaching English (preferably English English, not American English) to Spanish- or Haitian Kreyol-speaking beginners which is:

1) Available on the North Coast of the DR? Or failing this:
2) Available on Amazon and would have to be imported?

I have seen some of the material used in state and private schools here and it is abysmal - stilted phrases, elementary errors, unnecessarily advanced concepts (e.g. the subjunctive) introduced whereas everyday essentials are omitted, outdated slang included in an attempt to make it "trendy", etc, etc.
And all printed on toilet paper (with many typos) and sold at high prices.

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
I see a lot of students carrying those green english books to Puerta Plata English school. My wife studied grammer there as speaking english was a lot easier then the grammer aspect of english. 500 pesos every 2 weeks 2 or 3 nights a week

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
I see a lot of students carrying those green english books to Puerta Plata English school. My wife studied grammer there as speaking english was a lot easier then the grammer aspect of english. 500 pesos every 2 weeks 2 or 3 nights a week

Thanks for the info that certainly helps me understand the costs. Does anyone know if they have day classes or is it just night? Everyone seems to say night classes so that maybe all they offer.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I checked with my husband and he said the cost varied on the course. He took computers as well as Level 1,2 & 3 english. The english class was 700 pesos per month.