Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Desperate for a divorce!!!!

I have been married to a Dominican man for a little over two years now and I want a divorce. I have been to DR a few times but he has never been to the United States. We have absolutely nothing together....no property, bank accounts, credit cards, homes...nothing. We have never lived together. He has never given me any money...in fact it is the other way around. The only thing we have together is the marriage license when we married in Bonao. He really does not want a divorce but I do. How do I get out of this marriage? How long will it take? Will I have to go to DR? How much will it cost? Please!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Have someone tell him you've died.
    Let him try to find out if it's true or not.
    And try to stay off of Facebook, et. al.
    if u do that stuff.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

A divorce will cost you around 800 dollars. Well the bad news is he can contest it. You realize he is entitled to 50% of your assets. The US recognizes the marriage vía reciprocity. If he is broke he wont have resources to get at your assets, but he never has to sign! If you can prove infidelity maybe you have a better chance. The divorce will cost you no matter how you slice it. Check statute of limitations on annulment as well.

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Please contact and retain an attorney, I have already seen errors in the advice given above. I recommend the moderator of this forum, Mr. Guzman. He has not helped me with a divorce (knock on wood), but we have retained him 3 times for other matters and were satisfied with the service and the honesty of his firm.

I am not a lawyer or play one on TV, so I'll spare you my advice.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bonao Luck

Quote Originally Posted by heat4916 View Post
    He has never given me any money...in fact it is the other way around.
    Unbelievable!!!

I think mutual consent is not necessary, but as far as I know you'd have to come here and declare in person through a lawyer.
    Your assets acquired after the marriage could be claimed by him 50%.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Better Not

Quote Originally Posted by tflea View Post
    Have someone tell him you've died.
    Let him try to find out if it's true or not.
    He may just do that in order to claim his inheritance.
    And on finding out that it's too soon for that he may get helpful ideas...

donP

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been married to a Dominican man for a little over two years now and I want a divorce. I have been to DR a few times but he has never been to the United States. We have absolutely nothing together....no property, bank accounts, credit cards, homes...nothing. We have never lived together. He has never given me any money...in fact it is the other way around. The only thing we have together is the marriage license when we married in Bonao. He really does not want a divorce but I do. How do I get out of this marriage? How long will it take? Will I have to go to DR? How much will it cost? Please!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
    You let your heart rule your head, now you have to use your head. GET A LAWYER!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you petition for a divorce in the US ?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by La Mariposa View Post
    Why don't you petition for a divorce in the US ?
    How do you serve him then?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gringobizadvisors View Post
    How do you serve him then?
    By a courier. Allowed (at least under federal laws). Or you hire local alguacil.
    Many times you can also do service of process by publication. I have seen one today in Diario Libre.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast