dominican relations with venezuela

L

Lisa

i was wondering if anyone knows, in general, what the relations are between venezuela and the dominican republic? do they like each other, etc.? any history between these two nations?

C

charlyloco

Dominicans are very kind, friendly and don't prejudice people, doesnt matter where they from (except haitains*LOL*).They accept anybody as long as they correct to them (and than they only laught and move).
So they dont need any special reletainship to any nation.......
This question just show, that you never made your own experience, so try...........
cu/charlyloco

N

Natasha

Generally, the two countries have had good relations. During Trujillo's dictatorship, it was reported that he was plotting to assasinate Venezuelan president Romulo Bentancourt and that relations were "strained" during those times.

Regards,
Natasha

H

hillbilly

Re: Dominican relations with Venezuela

Historically speaking, relations between the two places has generally been quite friendly.
During the colonial times there was some trated, quite limited between the two and into the 19th Century there was a lot of migration between the two.
Simon Bolivar was a frequent visitor and after Haiti's independence, he received quite a bit of assistance fron the Hatian Government for his own movement.
The Dominican National leader, Juan Pablo Duarte, used Venezuela as a refuge and eventurally was exiled there.
In more modern history, the anti-Trujillo factions found in Venezuela a lot of support, especially with Romulo Betancourt, and this provoked a bombing attempt on the part of Trujillo and a break in relations. Since 1962, Venezuela has been a major trading partner of the DR and supplies, under the San Jose Agreement, a large part of the petrolium resources used here. Venezuela was, until recently, a major objective for Dominican emmigration, and there is a considerable Dominican community through out Venezuela.
Several prominent families in the DR have intimate ties to Venezuela-Bermudez being one of them.

HB

T

Tom

An interesting point

While studying Dominican history, I read the US began to oppose Trujillo when he orchestrated an assassination attempt against an elected President of Venezuela around 1960. It failed and the following year, the CIA was instrumental in having Trujillo killed. Has anyone else ever learned about this piece of history?

T

Tom

Re: An interesting point/CIA

Why Tom, are you suggesting that the CIA, or any of the "Alphabet" agencies would become involved in the politics of a sovereign nation :)

Tom D'Alfonso

K

Keith

Re: An interesting point

Tom,

You're thinking of Betancourt. Betancourt fancied himself the symbol of democracy "returning" to Latin America and spoke out strongly against the famous dictators of the era - Trujillo, Somoza, etc. He was particularly critical of Trujillo, and we all know Trujillo did not tolerate criticism.
Regards,
Keith

T

Tom

Re: An interesting point/CIA

Anyone who studies history knows that the US has been sticking it't nose where it doesn't belong since our independence. I am very critical of US government policy but am very careful not to single out individual US citizens. With an education and personal experience, anyone can see both the good and bad of "US imperialism". The major point I try to make is that as much of the blame must be placed on the local power elite in each of the countries.

A

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Dominican relations Great Post!

Congratulations Hillbilly for an informative post. Much better than going off half cocked like Charly.

C

charlyloco

Re: Dominican relations Great Post!

Thanks............
but the question from Lisa, for me sounds like she want to know something about the present meaning of the dom.people and not the history (because that, you can read in every historybook)
so dont blame....Iam innocent*LOL*
cu/charlyloco