Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another scam (Begging at it's finest) ?

While home today I noticed a stranger on the street via one of my security cameras.

I zoomed in on him as he had stopped and was smoking a cigarette.
    After finishing his smoke, he walked to the middle of the street and conveniently collapsed as if in a epileptic seizure. (Note there are vacant area on my street, this happened as he approached neighbors that were in sight.

I watched as neighbor after neighbor came to his aid (But I stayed inside).
    I advised my sister-in-law and mother-in-law via Intercom to the other house.
    After a few minutes they got him to the side of the street and sitting up again.

The following was translated to me when my wife got home.
    His story was that he was an epileptic and he needed $1,900 pesos for medicine.
    He said he had $250 pesos, how much more did he need.

Now here's the good part:
    One neighbor offered to get him the medicine.
    He said no, he needed the money because he had to buy it in Moca.
    This should have been a RED FLAG to anyone!

But no, they gave him a total of $450 pesos and sent him on his way.

We live up on a hill out of sight of the houses that come half way up the hill.
    I watched and followed him on the security cameras.
    As he went down the hill, out of sight of the neighbors, but not my cameras, he again when near the people, collapsed in a perfect re-enactment of the previous collapse.

I called over to my sister-in-law and we went down the hill.
    We got there just as everyone was taking up a collection of $100 peso bills.
    I yelled: Espera! ... as we approached.

The sister-in-law then explained that he did the same thing up on top of the hill and the neighbors gave him money. As I was telling the neighbors that I had it all on video, I saw him turn his head towards me and roll his eyes.

We left, not sure what all happened after that, but one neighbor looked at me and shook his head as to say YES, it's a scam.

We live on the far side of Santiago from Moca.
    What was he doing here besides running a scam?

When offering to help:
    If they say they need money not other help, "because".....
    This should be a RED FLAG!
    The mother-in-law laughed when I played back the two "collapses" from the security video.

Don

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same experience in Santiago with a man claiming to be the child's [4 yrs] uncle, trying to get money for the boy's operation [enlarged testicle, very enlarged].
    I told him I had doctor friends who can perform the operation at no cost... he never appeared on the corner again.
    POOR KID

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicely planned scam. Drug addicts in the barrio I grew up in try to scam me by saying they need money for food. I tell them, stay right there, I'll be back with food and they tell me...NOOOO I want to go buy it myself hahahahahaha. Then on another visit, same individual told me...you ain't no fool you know I want to buy some crack to get high hook me up with something. Because he was honest I gave him a 100 peso bill. He went and got high and came back to the spot I was in and threw himself at my feet saying I was his father all drugged up. I kicked him to the curve and off I went. This is the reason I don't like to visit the barrio. But unfortunately, I still have relatives there.
    Last edited by El Tigre; 09-30-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default video

Hey Don,

Any way to put that video up online? Sounds pretty amusing

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

People become very resourceful This one time in Panama while waiting in my car for a friend I was approached by a man carrying an infant and accompanied by his woman and a young boy. His story was that his child was sick and that he had to to take it to the children's hospital, he had no money and he asked me if I could take him which I couldn't but I gave him $3,- for a cab. A week later at the same spot I was approached by the same guy with the same story. I replied asking him if he had Alzheimer since he did the same thing a week before so I confronted him and while doing so I was yelling for the cops. Wow did they take off much faster than Bolt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another scam? - You be the judge!

The following is the "short" version of the "long" security video.

Notice how he moves to the center of the road after his "smoke" and whatever it was he puts in his mouth and chews. Then he moves the backpack to his right side before doing the collapse on his left side. He checks over his shoulder while doing the "smoke" for anyone around.

I guess even the scammers are due a smoke break.

The original security videos are in .avi format and was converted to .wmv format, losing a lot of quality and crispness. YouTube does not accept .avi format.

Does anyone know of a good conversion program where I would not lose the quality?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_v4MAI24MiA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_v4MAI24MiA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Don

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

seemed legit to me. how can I send him money?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    seemed legit to me. how can I send him money?
    In Care of SantiagoDR

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default nice camera work

That's quite the security system you have there done. Nice camera work too, I might add.
    Thanks for posting the video, very entertaining. Now if he only knew he was on youtube

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    In Care of SantiagoDR
    Actually, you may owe the guy a royality payment for his acting!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast