What is the difference

J

Joyce Jimenez

I would like to know if there is a big difference between Dominicans who live on the island as opposed to the Dominicans who live elsewhere. For example, Chicago, New York, Germany or Canada to name a few. I am not saying one group is better than the other, I am just curious if anyone has seen or noted a difference.

Have a nice day!!

Joyce Jimenez

T

Tom

I have found that a great depends if they move to a predominately Spanish speaking community here in the US and if they work outside the dominican areas. I find that the younger (under 30 crowd, who came here very young or were born here, like going there on vacation, but say they wouldn't want to live there. Most older dominicans talk about returning after their children are grown. Some go back atleast every year and others go 10-15 years without returning. Living in another country will change the person. It is interesting to speak with the dominican expats when they vacation and visit family in the DR. The problem,it's kind of hard to pick them out of the crowd.

E

ECH, M.D.

Well Joyce, my Dominican son (adopted age 14; now 30) is still the same obnoxious little brat he always was but with more of a New York accent (since he has lived there for the last 10 years!) He still likes Dominican food and a Presidente. On a more serious note though, he used to talk quite a lot of one day returning to the DR (when he is rich)and living his old age there. I think this has changed and the more he lives in the USA the more he does not want to give up what he has grown so accustomed to.
I am so proud of this snot nosed little limpia bota from Capotillo who made good. Finished high school, some college; speaks damn good English and is a Supervisor in government in New York. I gave him the push and he went for the "gold" and got it! Thank you for letting me tell me little story.

J

Joyce Jimenez

Good Morning Everyone,

My intention was soley to stimulate the minds of the diverse and interesting members of this board. In order for us to play a little mental gymnastics.

Personally, I find the Dominicans who live elsewhere as opposed to the Dominicans who live on the island are pretty much the same. It all depends on the person, because no matter where you live you can still carry the country in your heart.

I do find the Dominicans who live in the City (i.e. Santo Domingo) are much different than the people who live in the countryside (i.e. Cibao).

JCeasar - Not everyone has a hidden agenda.

Have a nice day and take care everyone,

Joyce Jimenez

P

Phyllis

I just want to say that I have meet Dominican men, women, boys and girls living in the DR, living in the USA and Canada and they are ALL wonderful people!