Considering moving to DR??? Farm Land?

Oz1

Dec 15, 2008
Hi DR1 Members,

I'm considering the move to the DR. I worked for about 5 years in Haiti and enjoyed what little time I got to spend in the DR.

In the coming year I'm planning several 3 week trips to the DR in order to investigate some of the areas that I might consider moving my family too.

I'm easy going, and no stranger to living in different cultures as I work abroad and in hostile areas. My approach is "When in Rome" so to speak. Plus I love the challenge and the change. I'v got two 6 month old twins and I'd like very much for them to grow up in a multicultural and adventurous environment.

Here is my question for those with knowledge of the DR countryside;

I would like to look a the possibility of purchasing 30-100 acres of Rain Forest / Farmland. I'd prefer varied terrain, not flat.

1. I want to keep it in it's natural state (minus my home) I'm not going to farm it or develop it.

2.The land must have a good 12 stream or small waterfall, I want use the water to generate my homes electrical power via Micro-Hydro Turbines.

3. I'd like the land about 30 minutes +/- from a decent sized town.

Based on that general criteria can you guys suggest different areas of the country to look? Also do any of you have any web links that I can look at to wet my appetite?

My net searches have turned up little in the way of "Finca" or Farm Land results. What I have found, I think, is tied to "Kite Flying" type asking prices.

Any of your thoughts and discussion on the matter are welcome, I also take constructive criticism well.

Thank you
Oz1

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Contact Christopher Meir

You may wish to contact Christoph Meir who runs an organic banana operation down in Barahona plowing and sowing

They have started a Waldorf School for children and he is looking for someone to start taking over the operation.... someone who is familiar with the Rupolph Steiner philosophy of agriculture.... he has been here many years and can probably give you some good leads.

Welcome and Keep us informed!!

I have a few friends who dream of such an off grid sort of life,,.. so we might all go somewhere very terrific when we find it,...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
jarabacoa/constanza although I presume its expensive there due to it being in the commutor belt

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
2.The land must have a good 12 stream or small waterfall, I want use the water to generate my homes electrical power via Micro-Hydro Turbines.

Finding land will not be a problem. However, finding a flowing stream all year round may be a problem and then again you may not be able to get a permit to build a hydro turbine either.

I recommend you look at solar and wind power as your main sources of power and then you won't be limited to certain locations. This is a real adavantage, as opposed to being out in the middle of timbuktu and needing to go to the nearest hospital real quick.

Best of luck.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Constanza

jarabacoa/constanza although I presume its expensive there due to it being in the commutor belt

Here is an article that I did on Constanza last year, which will give you a bit of picture of that area:
Visiones del Caribe - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: A High-Tech Garden of Eden

Note the prices at one million pesos for 10 tarea (6 tarea to an acre, I believe).But there is similar land in neighboring valleys which is not yet under production which would be less expensive.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look in these areas: Around Moncion; Guananico; Villa Trina; Casabito. You do know that you are looking for what is know here as "a lot of land", don't you??

Good luck...

HB

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Only 200,000 sqm...

You do know that you are looking for what is know here as "a lot of land", don't you??
200 to 600 tareas is not very much really.
In certain circles this would even be regarded as 'peanuts'...

donP

Oz1

Dec 15, 2008
Keep the ideas coming

You Guys Rock!

Thank you all for chiming in on this :) !!!

Please keep your thoughts and suggestions coming.

(This should go without saying, The family and I do plan on moving down and renting first 6 months, to a year or more. I know much investigation is needed, and many answers can only be found after I get there. However all of the input you are giving me now will be a great head start.)

Oz1

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In places like Villa Trina, where the average holding is less than 20 tareas, 600 tareas is considered a monster. In Salcedo, Moca or Villa Tapia where average holdings are around 10 tareas, 60 tareas is huge.

To the OP I have 70 tas, in the mountains in back of Diego de Ocampo. Three springs on the property.

Hard part of this will be to find the land withing the time frame of a major city (Santiago, San Francisco or Santo Domingo.)

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think the La Vega to Boano area could be considered given the new hospital there on the Autopista and the La Sirena in La Vega.