What do YOU do for living in DR?

miozio

May 23, 2009
I was wondering which means of support most of the expats have here in DR? I was hoping to hear from business owners and how good they do on the island. I've lived and worked in Italy for 7 years and had a tour company there. Btw, most of tourism in Rome is taken care of by the expats from the US and UK. I can see that most of this job is done by native Dominicans here, my question is, how come there are no tour guides from other countries, are they being pushed out?

I am not trying to start a tour company here, i have my means of support as i am a web developer , can work away from the office, i was just curious :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I do what most ex-pats do.

I walk down the roads, pick up the chunks of gold and sell them to passing SUV's with gubmint plates.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Oh, sorry for asking, mods please delete my thread, it is not welcome here!

Sep 22, 2009

The question seemed pretty innocuous. What's wrong with "Hey, what do people do here to earn a living?"

Being a New Yorker, I may think this cat is fishing. But perhaps he is being honest.

Out of the many types of ex-pats, I can identify the follwing types I have personally met over the years:

1) The folks who came on holiday and loved it so much, decided to stay/move here.

2) Folks who met Dominicans abroad and came with them to meet family or see the place.

3) Investors (real estate/other) who stay full-time or most of the year because of vested interests.

Above, 1 and 2-types must have capital (for the most part) to earn a living. Many do and many just "wing" it. I would also imagine that we get the occasional high-plains drifter these days living his 6 monts of unemployment financing, and then must return home.

Many with their own capital "may" have started real estate businesses, restaurants, pubs, cafes, etc. I know many.

Others may have used their good business sense and marketing knowledge base to lauch a venture on a shoe string budget and have succeded.

Very few (hmmmm) perhaps went to school in the States or Europe (PUCMMA has various reciprocal graduate programs with some of the US' top B-schools) with a Dominican whose family owns business in DR and perhaps had a contact with which to lauch business or even an "employment" opportunity.

That said, referring to a recent thread on working in DR, it is difficult to find "normal" employment without a residential permit or Cedula. The Dominican labor code indicates that 80% of a Dominican corp's payroll must be allocated to Dominican nationals. Foreigners may occupy (as an exception to this) strictly managerial or executive roles. If not, the other exception is that you must possess such specific technical skills, that they can not be found in here.

That said, if one is perfectly fluent in Spanish and English, one "may" find modest employment in one of the 50 or so call centers. Average salary is 15-18K plus health insurance etc. after a 3-month probationary period. You only need referenced and a vaild passport, along with your current CV.

Also, if one has fluent multilingual skills such as English, French and Spanish, there exist teaching opportunties. The pay is also quite humble.

The industry standard job site here is: Aldaba.com
You can always throw chance to the wind and create a profile (in Spanish).

If you are perfecly fluent and hold a graduate degree with 5 years experience or more, you may want to contact the executive search firm, G.A. Tavares.

This should be enough info to begin if you are serious. if you are just fishing, I can assume this won't take you far.

-G

Reactions: Black Dog

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com

Deletion of a thread is a serious matter here at DR1 (thread closure or deletion of offending posts is much more the norm when warranted in the eye of a moderator) and will not normally be entertained simply because the OP didn't like the reception his/her thread received.

Gregg
Mod.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I reckon the majority of the US police force must move out to the the Republic. I seem to bump into them all over the place, always full of chat about the way it used to be back in the day and how they would treat the modern day scum that prowl our streets in modern times looking for easy prey.
God, US police officers can talk the hind end off a donkey (and I mean that in the niceat possible waylol

Actually Pig, I'd almost be inclined to bet you would be quite surprised to find out who on this forum is or has been involved in law enforcement and who not. The Internet tends to blur the picture at times, in good and bad.
Yes, this forum has a tendency to police itself, but lets just try an call it your friendly "neighborhood watch" ;).

To the OP, I will answer this:
It's an interesting question, but you will have to understand that some may feel reticent about sharing their occupational status to everybody on a public forum, for several reasons, including privacy, security and also respect for some forum rules which does not invite posters to plug their business directly or indirectly without having a paid advertisement running.
Many of us talk behind the scenes, whether it is by e-mail, PM or phone or on personal meetings. Some of these relationships are not made obvious on this forum either.

I for one will gladly share with you that I have a technical education (engineering) and made "my bones" in real estate construction, investing and consulting. I get very little business here currently as this sector has slowed down substantially here too and the fact that I also do not take on jobs I deem likely to attract more trouble than anything (and there's a lot of that).
I also still design pedal steel guitars, an effort which I share with people mostly in the US, but that is not a real source of income.

I help two beautiful local girls with school and education and hope to give them at least a shot at a better future... an other no-income job... but almost a full time one.

... J-D.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I help two beautiful local girls with school and education and hope to give them at least a shot at a better future... an other no-income job... but almost a full time one.

But it pays higher dividends than any other job!
;)

Sep 22, 2009
The poor OP. I feel like he/she had a fair, honest question: "Whatda yall do here to make money?".

They are probably scared to respond for fear of embarassment. I'm new on the blog. I think DR1 is a great tool - an from a business standpoint, it appears as if they generate the capital to stay in buisness since (way back when? 199X) Bravo!!.

I see so much "bashing" when someone tries to ask a question or provide their "best-effort" response. Furthermore, the "ganging" up on one another is so rediculous.

There are ways to express an opinion or offer advice. This isn't a State Department website! I'm sure all of us have outstanding credits, but we don't have to be experts to have a say or leverage our OWN experiences in the efforts to help/assist/support those who ask for it via this medium.

People want help on DR issues - both trivial and serious - If it was a website of PhDs, MDs and MsEngs only, you could charge good $$ of the advice!!!

Come on folks! I think some of you out there are really trying to embarrass other posters or at minimum making them feel silly. Should I go quote any one of a thousand instances in the present and archived boards?

What is that???

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009

... J-D.

Perhaps no income JD but but I would think (speaking as a father) very rewarding, and deservedly so!

miozio

May 23, 2009
Why not spend some time and do some searching first?
I think you guys misunderstood my question. Everywhere i go, the work labour is Dominican, i have nothing against it, i was just wondering where did the expats go, are they being pushed out here, i don't see them (for example) tourguiding here! The actual tour guides here hardly speak any English.

miozio

May 23, 2009
To the OP, I will answer this:
It's an interesting question, but you will have to understand that some may feel reticent about sharing their occupational status to everybody on a public forum, for several reasons, including privacy, security and also respect for some forum rules which does not invite posters to plug their business directly or indirectly without having a paid advertisement running.
Many of us talk behind the scenes, whether it is by e-mail, PM or phone or on personal meetings. Some of these relationships are not made obvious on this forum either.

... J-D.

I can definately see the tension and fear, suspecting me in some kind of "fishing" :)

Sep 22, 2009
I think you guys misunderstood my question. Everywhere i go, the work labour is Dominican, i have nothing against it, i was just wondering where did the expats go, are they being pushed out here, i don't see them (for example) tourguiding here! The actual tour guides here hardly speak any English.

Hi,

I think what we "may" be observing is a combination of both the economic and regulatory environment in DR (and globally).

it's much, much more difficult for ex-pats to land "normal" jobs these days than just 2-3 years ago.

Companies and organizations are adhering more and more strictly to the labor code.

Fewer and fewer folk have the capital to create buisness here in their own way (but obviously they still exist).

It's a beutiful place to live, but it's just so hard or costly to get a "due process" here, that you don't see many of the ex-pats "putting themselves out there" on display.

Disclaimer: just one guy's opinion!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Demand

where did the expats go, are they being pushed out here, i don't see them (for example) tourguiding here! The actual tour guides here hardly speak any English.
There are a few gringo guides, who passed the test and got their license.
In fact I know one.
There are sufficient Dominican guides who speak several languages and do a good job, thus I don't really see the need for foreign guides...

DonP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
for crying out lound, people, "what is your job" is not that much of a personal question, is it? and just browsing dr1 will show who does what. so give this dude a break.
miozio - the fact is that many ex-pats, especially old, are retired. they do not really do anything at all. they simply spend their pensions. as attractive as this life may be it can only be achieved by working all your life and getting old and wrinkled. :)

Sep 22, 2009
Toughen up for crying out loud.:rolleyes:

I don't see anything that is even remotely close to bashing and ganging up on the OP in this thread. :tired:

Malibook,

This happens all over the site. This is what needs to stop. Mindless 'blurting' out. Humor is good, info is good.

Who the He-- are you buddy? get lost or call me to discuss.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
miozio - the fact is that many ex-pats, especially old, are retired. they do not really do anything at all. they simply spend their pensions. as attractive as this life may be it can only be achieved by working all your life and getting old and wrinkled. :)

Ahem :) it's ok miozio, dv8 is a friend of mine. Actually on retirement some of us reinvent ourselves and are busier than a door opener for sankies at Western Union but we don't do it for money.

Yes, miozio, I have worked as a tour guide here, many years ago when the only languages I had were French and English {and the first busload they gave me was Spaniards and those 3 percent of the Dutch population who don't speak English ;)}. You also get expats working as reps for tour companies but many of them are only here for one season. Those who stay become expats. As has been said, Dominicans fill most of the tour guiding jobs more than adequately and are a lot better at putting up with the sort of tourists for whom some of us foreigners have less patience........:cheeky:

Some expats run bars, some work in bars, some sell tours or real estate, some teach, some set up their own businesses in niche occupations, some are technical repair people, a few are doctors or work in allied professions and some are involved in the darker side of life, selling people or substances. Not too different from anywhere else really.

Now please excuse me, I need to catalogue the next batch of wrinkles....or catch up on round 4 on this thread - whichever happened fastest while I was typing. :)

Reactions: miozio