Along the same line as Mr. Lu's post - another privilige lost!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Sad.....

Asamblea revierte libre acceso de ciudadanos a playas y costas - DiarioLibre.com

Now Hotels are the owners of the beach? Does this mean I can't go to playa dorada anymore?

What a shame!

This new constitution is INCREDIBLE! It has moved so far to the left in some cases and then so far right in other cases, and has left the populous devoid of any real rights.

I recall reading the previous constitution and understood that at the very least, the nation's natural resources were owned by the public. I thought that was a great stance and that even though some large businesses infringed on that right, "we," the people, still owned those resources.

Not anymore. The beaches are now private and now leads me to believe that there are more loopholes in this new Constitution that will allow business interests to usurp all public resources, as long as they have the cash to do so.

It fascinates me. Dominicans get all angry about the Haitises Park and have a great concert, yet I have heard a peep from anyone, regarding the continued limitation and elimination of Dominican's rights.

But, hey, is a right a right, if you don't exercise it? In this case, no.

Mr. Lu

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Good God Lu...JPD and the founding fathers must be twitching in their graves. I wonder what they will take next or come up with next.

Crap like this is making me THINK TWICE about buying a place in my beautiful Santiago!

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
Once I was walking on the beach and a guard told me that I couldn't continue walking because it was the all-inclusive's beach. I argued with him-even asked if I could swim to cross through. I hoped my gringa hair and eyes would do the trick, but he wouldn't let us pass through.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
at the Hamaca in boca chica it's like that and they have walls and a armed guard to tell you "no". i loved it being my first time in the DR.

can anyone see the problems with locals on AI's property besides me ?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
at the Hamaca in boca chica it's like that and they have walls and a armed guard to tell you "no". i loved it being my first time in the DR.

Yes to get the security and tranquility that one expects in an All-inclusive,this is a must. Who enjoys being constantly harrassed on their vacation or day off. And those who partake, pay for that seclusion. I agree.

However i think its the other boundaries that are currently used as public access and enjoyment that are now vulnerable to this precedent setting move.
Definitely an arguement on both sides here.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Careful guys... if this is in the constitution... i'm not sure you're allowed to voice your disagreement.

I see the 'problem', but not quite like you do. Not allowing Dominicans to enjoy their beaches so that tourists can have their fat asses on the beach... that just seems like a problem.

If executed poorly, the ability to limit access completely is saddening.

Just thinking of some nearby potentials... I'd hate to think that Playa Grande could be privatized if the new owners of the golf course have bought the land surrounding it. Or that one couldn't walk from end to end on Cabarete Bay if Viva Wyndham managed to declare their frontage to be 'private'. Or one couldn't surf at Playa Encuentro because the land owners fronting the beach want to make it 'private'.

I'm oceanfront. Maybe I can declare the beach in front of my place 'private' and charge a toll to cross the 100 feet or so of beach?

What's missing from the newspapers seems to be the 'process' for such declarations of private beaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I dont know if the law is the same here,but in malibu one is only allowed to walk on the wet sand , where the tide has just gone out, the notices dont tell you this though.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
There is an argument on both sides and I understand it. But, any Dominican should be able to enjoy a day at any beach on the country. It's our country period. Well, it was. Not anymore.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Is damn if you do, damn if you don't. The Hamaca had no walls during Trujillo, but "the force" was there with you so you could behave on the beach. Today with all this "libertinaje" our beaches have been taken over by the goons. But then we want American and Europeans with dollars/euros so "padres de familias" could harass them on the beach and sell them their useless crafts and cheap art, snail and shrimp, overpriced coconut water and yanikekes. The beaches don't belong to all Dominicans. Only to those who have a title to beachfront property. There's plenty of public beaches for the proletariat. I never saw a Dominican swimming in Bavaro and Punta Cana when they were public land. Now that developers made them pretty and took sea urchins and
Algae out the proletariat wants in. Screw them. You want pretty sand? Pay for it. People have to pay at the Sands Point beach in Long Island! Pay the hotels a fee or buy their drinks. They made the beaches. The only reason Boca Chica is not a pig farm is because the hotels cleaned it up. Dominicans are the scum of the earth on beach behavior with their spaghetti and bread picnics on the beach and drinking from Brugal bottles they use to crack heads.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
we all agree that this is a problem where someone's wallet got fat. now they are trying to reverse something that they themselves set in motion..

good luck Leonel !!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Not that it's right or wrong, but doesn't this act sorta legitimize what's already been happening?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Lambada..yes I am Dominican, but most people confuse me with a foreigner because I respect lines, do not play loud music in my car, specially crappy music like bachata and merengue(leave that stuff for partying)do not throw garbage on the sand or from a car, do not talk loud with cell phones and others Dominicanisms. And the previous post was right on the money. This is just a rubber stamp for what is already obvious. If you buy the property it's your beach and you rule.

Reactions: Rocky

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Good God Lu...JPD and the founding fathers must be twitching in their graves. I wonder what they will take next or come up with next.

Crap like this is making me THINK TWICE about buying a place in my beautiful Santiago!

You only have to worry when the Venezuelan "information" center in Santiago suddenly expands. Until then, these laws mean nothing, because when the people get upset (because they finally understand the laws) there will be hell to pay with juelgas and politicians not returning to power, mark my word.

Reactions: ExtremeR

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Relax folks, as with many other laws and rules in this beautiful island, this one will probably be ignored by the citizens and the beach party goes on.:cheeky:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Relax folks, as with many other laws and rules in this beautiful island, this one will probably be ignored by the citizens and the beach party goes on.:cheeky:

With respect, don't you think for an instant that beach front property owners will not exercise these newly minted 'rights' to deny citizens and everyone else access to the beaches. If this becomes law, enshrined in the DR Constitution, the party is over for those who do not have the pesos to pay private land owners for a 'priviledge' that is currently freely enjoyed.

?

? bient?t

I never saw a Dominican swimming in Bavaro and Punta Cana when they were public land. .

(I suspect this will be deleted, but what the heck!)

As well informed as you regularly are, in the case of B?varo and the PC area, you might not be. Us Higueyanos knew of these places--and visited them--but the Macao beach was more accessible. It's the rest of you Johnny-come-latelys, returnees, chinos, cibae?os, and so-called "capitale?os" who are now "discovering" the east coast. My foreign friends are not in this "opinionated" group; they know who there are.

It reminds me of a Densa quiz question: Before Mt. Everest was discovered, which was the tallest peak in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.