credit card cloned

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
so my US credit card got cloned. i was called because it was being used in china. the catch is, i did actually use this in china about 2 months ago. so was it cloned in the DR or in china?

i am wondering if it is no longer safe to use USA credit cards in the DR?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
so my US credit card got cloned. i was called because it was being used in china. the catch is, i did actually use this in china about 2 months ago. so was it cloned in the DR or in china?

Mine just got cloned so good they actually swiped it all over the US and then finally in China.
I had used it at Nacional and PriceSmart in the DR only recently and previously in the US and Europe two months earlier.
I don't know how long it takes from the actual snipe to the card actually being cloned and used(?).
But it's my second time in about a year... with using my card here only at Nacional and PriceSmart.

There is an earlier thread just a couple of days old you might want to look at.

... J-D.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com

Your credit card data was likely compromised in the DR and sold on the cloning market where it can be used by unscrupulous people worldwide. My credit card, along with many others, was compromised a few months ago after a trip to the DR. The cloned card(s) were used in France and Thailand. Surprised that Visanet and Cardnet in the DR have not nipped this one in the butt yet.....

Feb 7, 2007
OK, following up on this thread and this one http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/95605-credit-card-cloned.html

I just had my European VISA debit card cloned.

It started today (Friday the 13th!!!) in the afternoon hours in Europe.
The card was blocked and I got a hint when I tried to use the card myself.

The card was attempted to be processed in the UK and only one charge (for 9.92 euro) got through. Fortunately I keep minimal balance on that account and transfer money into it from a different account.

attempted/denied - 2218.75 EURO h samuel (oxford uk)
attempted/denied - 997.93 EURO ernest johns jewelers (oxford uk)
attempted/approved ** 9.92 touchtone project - (harrogate uk) **
attempted/denied - 98.84 testo stores (oxford uk)

So these folks wanted to rank me up over 3.000 EURO

Also, it looks like the "touch project" is the common denominator in many card frauds as I found out via Google...
Credit card hunters Chris Easton

In the past 3 months, I only used the card via CARDNET terminals (no ATM withdrawals) and it was in Codetel (2x), EdeEste (2x), local supermarket (1x) (where I used it before without any problems), PROPAGAS on las Americas (after CDG)(1x) and local Cable TV(1x).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's happened to me twice.

I now have my cc "locked" at my request. I have to call my cc company and tell them when I'm going to use it, about how much and where with a few hours notice and when I want it locked again. Only then will they unlock it.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Just curious, when you say these cards are cloned and used, do they actually make a plastic copy and used at the point of origon or internet sales where they have to be shipped to an address? I have never experienced this so I am very curious how they do it.

Feb 7, 2007
As all transactions (with the exception of touchtone project) were in Oxford, UK, I guess they made a plastic and tried to use it.

Aug 21, 2007
I watched a special on television about this. One method is to access the information from your card. Then, the information is sold on the black market via the internet, but the site looks more like the old DOS, instead of the internet that we know and use. The site is like an auction, detailing where the card is from and the credit limit. Once the information is sold, someone with a machine that makes credit cards (which they said can be purchased for less than $200 USD) makes a blank, white card with your numbers and information. This card can be used either on the internet or with a swipe machine. Because many swipe machines are now made so the cardholder does the swipe, no one sees that it is actually a blank card.

I am sure there are other methods, too, but this is one I saw.

Lindsey

carib

Jul 16, 2002
cloned again

yep forth time
my new card cloned and being used in Spain......
this is getting old
carib

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Happening all over the place in Juan Dolio. Most foreigners here have had their credit cards "compromised". I now have given up my card as it is not worth it. Uk and US cards.

matilda

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Happening all over the place in Juan Dolio. Most foreigners here have had their credit cards "compromised". I now have given up my card as it is not worth it. Uk and US cards.

matilda

are your local cards ok or have they been cloned too?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
How do you find out this is happening? (Other than checking your online statement every few hours?)

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
How do you find out this is happening? (Other than checking your online statement every few hours?)

1) You find out yourself by checking online statement
2) You find out yourself when making purchase and your card is declined because of insufficient funds
3) You find out yourself when making purchase and your card is requested to be "picked up" (retener tarjeta) - this means it was blocked by your bank
4) If you are lucky the bank will phone you to ask about the suspicious transaction

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I use my (UK) cc maybe twice a month. I'll have to get into the habit of looking at the online statement more frequently.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
just curious... I have traveled the world because of my job... and they always told me never to leave your cc out of sight... which I never did...

What happened... once in Spain... the waiter with me present swiped my card several times, every time getting the message (and i saw it) the card did not get through... on my statement at the end of the month I was charged 5 times for the meal... I reported this to Visa, they checked with the restaurant-owner, who I had contacted myself as well, and immediately made a refund...

second time in Tunesia, where I bought a small carpet for 250 ?, and got charged 2500 ? on my statement... Visa corrected this within the month...

so did you guys just hand over your cc... or where you present all the time...

just curious to see whether they can do it when you are there all the time, or only when they take your card an go to the terminal to take the payment...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

Went to use the card and it didn't work. Checked with Uk bank and they said it had been compromised and had been cancelled. I think it is happening at the central card net office not in the store (Iberia supermarket). Same thing happened to a Uk friend last week. There is no way the store have taken the details as they just swipe it. When mine happened, Visa said they had had a list of 400 compromised cards in DR that week.

It has never happened with Switch card nor with local credit card from Banco Popular.

matilda

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
4) If you are lucky the bank will phone you to ask about the suspicious transaction
Yup. Especially when the card is "locked" at my request and someone tried to use the number.

The hassle is having the card cancelled and getting another down here. Takes a while.

I now rarely use a cc. Almost never use an ATM. I don't have checking account here. I do have a "passbook savings" account that requires a personal bank visit to access. I use a local cambio that knows us to cash checks on my US checking account for living $$$. Since going to this system we've had no problems.

I don't care if there are landmines. Just give me a map where they are.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
just curious... I have traveled the world because of my job... and they always told me never to leave your cc out of sight... which I never did...

What happened... once in Spain... the waiter with me present swiped my card several times, every time getting the message (and i saw it) the card did not get through... on my statement at the end of the month I was charged 5 times for the meal... I reported this to Visa, they checked with the restaurant-owner, who I had contacted myself as well, and immediately made a refund...

second time in Tunesia, where I bought a small carpet for 250 ?, and got charged 2500 ? on my statement... Visa corrected this within the month...

so did you guys just hand over your cc... or where you present all the time...

just curious to see whether they can do it when you are there all the time, or only when they take your card an go to the terminal to take the payment...
Somehow, when you use the card the perps get the electronic numbers/data and can replicate it.

When it happened to me the only place I used it was Ochoa in Santiago.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Easy fix, don't use credit cards here. Cash still works with no problems whatsoever.
I have been useing cash only for 4 years without one cloneing incident.