Trip: D R to Haiti BIG dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
We left Sosua to spend a couple of nights in Cap Hatien and to explore the area there.
Drove to Jahabon.
Guess what?
You cannot drive a car from the Rep Dom into Haiti without a special permit only to be aquired in Santo Domingo.
We were denied entrance into Haiti!
(We could have entered without our car but didn't want to)
What a bummer!

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Interesting...are you a resident or you rented on your vacation ? Did the DR border guards denied you passage or the Haitians ? Did they give you a reason ? Did you try a propina ? I was planning the same trip with a rental car...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
rental car?

Interesting...are you a resident or you rented on your vacation ? Did the DR border guards denied you passage or the Haitians ? Did they give you a reason ? Did you try a propina ? I was planning the same trip with a rental car...

I would be very surprised if there was any way that you could get a rental car across the border.... You cannot even do that in Mexico/US. For one think, can you imagine any DR rental company covering insurance in Haiti? You can, however, rent a car once you are in Haiti. After you take the bus.

I agree that I would really like to hear more about this... since there are indeed cars and trucks that pass everyday. Who required the permit and where do you have to go to get it?

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Bigger disappointment my guess would be if you actually saw what a complete shi+hole Haiti is..

Reactions: NALs

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We were denied entrance into Haiti!
(We could have entered without our car but didn't want to)
What a bummer!

You should have asked and I would have told you - sorry.

Still, there isn't a whole lot in Cap Haitien too see.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
We are residents. The car is private and of course fully documented.
They might have implied that we could 'propina' our way in but we did not want to both go to Haiti, and return to La Republica, with questionable documents.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think, you should consider yourself lucky they did not let you in with your vehicle. From what I hear of how things go on in Haiti, I don't doubt that there would have been a good chance that you would not have returned with it (the vehicle) and also am pretty confident that your DR insurance would not have reimbursed you for your loss.

... J-D.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think, you should consider yourself lucky they did not let you in with your vehicle. From what I hear of how things go on in Haiti, I don't doubt that there would have been a good chance that you would not have returned with it (the vehicle) and also am pretty confident that your DR insurance would not have reimbursed you for your loss.

... J-D.

Please extrapolate.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Please extrapolate.

:surprised?!?!
Chip, would you be so kind and define "extrapolate", please?

... J-D.

yourdictionary.com said:
ex?trapo?late (ek strapə lāt′, ik-)
transitive verb, intransitive verb extrapolated -?lat′ed, extrapolating -?lat′?ing

1. Statistics to estimate or infer (a value, quantity, etc. beyond the known range) on the basis of certain variables within the known range, from which the estimated value is assumed to follow
  2. to arrive at (conclusions or results) by hypothesizing from known facts or observations
  3. to speculate as to consequences on the basis of (known facts or observations)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
:surprised?!?!
Chip, would you be so kind and define "extrapolate", please?

... J-D.

From MW - see bolded:

Main Entry: ex?trap?o?late
Pronunciation: \ik-ˈstra-pə-ˌlāt\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): ex?trap?o?lat?ed; ex?trap?o?lat?ing
Etymology: Latin extra outside + English -polate (as in interpolate) ? more at extra-
Date: 1874
transitive verb
1 : to infer (values of a variable in an unobserved interval) from values within an already observed interval
2 a : to project, extend, or expand (known data or experience) into an area not known or experienced so as to arrive at a usually conjectural knowledge of the unknown area <extrapolates present trends to construct an image of the future> b : to predict by projecting past experience or known data <extrapolate public sentiment on one issue from known public reaction on others>

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by J D Sauser

... J-D.

Please extrapolate.

From MW - see bolded:

2 a : to project, extend, or expand (known data or experience) into an area not known or experienced so as to arrive at a usually conjectural knowledge of the unknown area <extrapolates present trends to construct an image of the future> b : to predict by projecting past experience or known data <extrapolate public sentiment on one issue from known public reaction on others>

Ok Chip, since you insist:
I can not extrapolate on, to or from my comment based on definition #2. And here is why:
The part or sentence you highlighted starts with: "From what I hear...". I thus implied hearsay and therefor maybe not facts I could or would not even wish to verify (If you'd insist, it would have to be with your car! ;) ).
So, I cannot seem to hypothesize from known facts as to definition #2 of the word "extrapolate" as they are merely (extrapolated?) conclusions of mine based on/from what I am hearing or have heard, which is that it may not be safe/advisable to take a vehicle into Haiti as it could face a heightened risk of being stolen or otherwise attracting "trouble" and the suspiscion that Dominican vehicle insurance my choose not to cover such a loss (very easily). As I did not post based on a personal life experience, I further added; "... there would have been a good chance...", like "it might...". Maybe I ought to have used "could" instead of "would"?

Bottom line is, I still think the OP may have been lucky not to have been allowed into Haiti with their vehicle. There is no way I would take my truck to Haiti and I therefor just seem to feel free to have shared this personal opinion on this board.

I hope to have clarified my point to your satisfaction, Chip and also hope you will excuse my limited command of the English language which may have led to a wording which I am aware could very well have left you confused as to the value of my comment.

... J-D.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
vehicles crossing into Haiti - third party insurance needed

You should have asked and I would have told you - sorry.

Still, there isn't a whole lot in Cap Haitien too see.

Chip,
There are tons to see in northern Haiti for tourists - la Citadelle and the Sans Souci palace are some of the best historical tourist sites in the Island, fantastic beaches at the coast north of Cap Haitien, and the city itself has an old historical colonial charm well worth visiting (though it needs to be clearned up)

We are residents. The car is private and of course fully documented.
They might have implied that we could 'propina' our way in but we did not want to both go to Haiti, and return to La Republica, with questionable documents.

Surprised that you could not cross in your own registered vehicle - lots of private vehicles and commercial trucks pass each and every day. What you will need however for entering Haiti is a third-party insurance valid in Haiti - issued by the national state vehicle insurance company (OAVCT) - often they have an office at the border - or at least inside Ouanaminthe right across the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.