How to set up a live video stream

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Now...I have bought myself a webcam especially for live video streaming, have read the manual, have read different articles on the net about live streaming...and I am still struggling how to start this up on my laptop.
I want to put the webcam (which is wireless) in the maids quarters who are now being prepared to serve as birth chamber for Acira and her pups, and we would like to let as many people as possible enjoy with us the birth of the puppies live and how they will grow up in the coming weeks after the birth.
Its fascinating to watch, I know from my own experience ;)
But I am a bit stuck to start it up...
Can anybody help?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Lets just say you are going to have lots of fun getting it working.

Took me a very long time to understand the lingo.

I finally got my Security DVR working over the Internet after many months of racking my brain trying to comprehend the concept. If it had not been for trying to get Gizmo5 VOIP working I might still be trying.

I am not sure what finally got it working as I did many things.

If you are on Claro/Codetel you probably do not realize that their modem if it is the SpeedStream 4200 is also set up as a router. Thus if you have a Linksys Router hooked up, you now have TWO routers back-to-back.

I bought an 8 port switch for less than $15 U.S. and have the Speedtream going to that and from one of it's ports I have the Linksys. My DVR is connected to the 8 port switch, bypassing the Linksys router.

Make sure you port forward any needed ports in the router (Speedstream 4200) and the other router if you want to do it that way.

Let us all know how it works out when you get it working.
The information will be helpful to others on here.

I also have a SlingBox hooked up and it's port forwarding was set up in the Claro/Codetel Modem/Router.

As I said, many don't realize that little old Claro modem is also a router.

Don

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
They have banda ancha for their laptop. I think Peter is working to make another laptop a slave for a wireless network. He might need some help with that, too.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Use Winamp with Shoutcast.

I recently set up a radio station. Although its not video, the principle is the same. It's hard to get your head around the lingo but not impossible.

Here's a tutorial:
WINAMP.COM | Forums - Streaming Video with NSV

Once you've got your head around all that you will probably need a third party that will stream your data. I use these people for my radio and I believe they do video too:

FREE !!! Shoutcast ,free shoutcast hosting , shoutcast hosting service

For audio it's all entirely free, I don't know if video is or not.

Good Luck!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
They have banda ancha for their laptop. I think Peter is working to make another laptop a slave for a wireless network. He might need some help with that, too.

Yep, thats true, we are struggling to get the second laptop set up as as slave. We think its just a minor setting problem on one or both the laptops but we cannot find it at the moment.
So if anybody have some idea's how to get this problem fixed also, they are very welcome.

@Don : will it be a problem for the streaming with the fact that we have a connection through banda ancha?

Thanks already for the help and ofcourse if we get the stream video working, I will write down the whole procedure in this topic how we did it.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
We have

wireless internet cameras and can view them over the internet with an IP address..........the computers in the house do not have to be turned on......

The cameras are given an IP address and then the IP address is monitored by a free service at DynDNS.com: Free DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, and VPS Hosting and keeps track of your cameras when the IP address changes since you don't have a static IP with codetel........

you would then access your camera from any internet connection by accessing an address such as: http://youraccount.dyndns.org:88

or such..............

We use dlink dcs920 cameras...........

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
wireless internet cameras and can view them over the internet with an IP address..........the computers in the house do not have to be turned on......

The cameras are given an IP address and then the IP address is monitored by a free service at DynDNS.com: Free DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, and VPS Hosting and keeps track of your cameras when the IP address changes since you don't have a static IP with codetel........

you would then access your camera from any internet connection by accessing an address such as: http://youraccount.dyndns.org:88

or such..............

We use dlink dcs920 cameras...........
How do you connect the camera to the innerweb?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
But maybe this is what you want............

exactly what you mean.............???

Tried editing my last post but the time expired by the time I finished so here goes:

1. We install each camera locally and give it a static ip address on our local network....Each camera can be accessed from "within" the network by using that local address such as : h t t p://192.168.1.51 or whatever you use depending on your router.........

2. We then setup a FREE account with dyndns.org or with any of the many names they let you use.......like your street address or something such as "sanchez21.dyndns.org............and then you would register the IP address that your router is using AT THE TIME YOU ARE DOING THIS with sanchez21.dyndns.org........

3. Then you access the setup on your camera and or router and allow remote dns and open a port for each camera such as 81 or something............

4. Then you could go to any internet connection and connect to THAT camera by accessing: http://sanchez21.dyndns.org:81............. and then it would go to the camera that is open on port 81 or your system............ the IP address is being monitored by dyndns.org and keeps track of it as "sanchez21" which is your "account"....

5. Your camera would or would not require a username and password once you access it depending on how you set it up..........

6. You will only need to keep your internet modem and router on at all times in order to connect via the internet to your cameras from anywhere. You do not need to leave on any computer in the house.

7. IT SHOULD be noted that when I first tried to get this way to work, I was frustrated and tried calling 3 "geeks" from Craigslist listings in Miami..........2 of them didn't even know what I was talking about and said that I needed to have a Static IP address from the internet provider in order to do this..........(WHICH IS NOT THE CASE).............the third helped me...........since I had not opened a port on the router for each camera and that was why I was having trouble.)

THE LINKS ABOVE SHOULD NOT WORK...........THEY WERE AUTOMATICALLY MADE "LINKS" BY DR1 but I was only using the address' as examples........

Hope this is helpful...........

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
... a little added note.

The IP cameras and Internet ready DVR's have software installed in them that monitors your current IP address with your ISP. Thus whenever the IP address from your ISP changes, it sends an update to the links (Example: FREE account with dyndns.org) as POP Bad Boy stated. This way the link to the dyndns server always has the current IP address of your IP Camera / DVR via your ISP's IP address.

Note:

IP address from the ISP gives access to your Modem / Router.
IP address of your Camera / DVR is the IP address from the modem / router.

Example:

(1) IP address from Codetel/Claro: 200.88.230.72
(2) IP address of Modem Router under the Codetel/Claro IP address: 10.0.0.1
(3) IP address of Camera / DVR under the Codetel/Claro Modem Router: 10.0.0.150
(This is sometimes a good idea to make this a static IP for the Camera / DVR, in this case 10.0.0.150)

Sometimes people do not realize that the Modem from Codetel/Claro may also be a router and thus install another router such as the Linksys routers. This just adds an extra level of un-necessary complications unless you need the Linksys for wireless access. I bought an 8 port Ethernet switch and have basically eliminated the need for my Linksys router.

In the above 3 step example, it becomes a 4 step with the Linksys installed after the Codetel/Claro modem router.

Example:

(2) IP address of Linksys Router under the Codetel/Claro Modem/Router: 192.168.0.1
(4) IP address of Camera / DVR under the Linksys Modem Router: 192.168.0.150

Are we having fun yet!

Don

Last edited:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
The IP cameras and Internet ready DVR's have software installed in them that monitors your current IP address with your ISP. Thus whenever the IP address from your ISP changes, it sends an update to the links (Example: FREE account with dyndns.org) as POP Bad Boy stated. This way the link to the dyndns server always has the current IP address of your IP Camera / DVR via your ISP's IP address.

Note:

IP address from the ISP gives access to your Modem / Router.
IP address of your Camera / DVR is the IP address from the modem / router.

Example:

(3) IP address of Camera / DVR under the Codetel/Claro Modem Router: 10.0.0.150
(This is sometimes a good idea to make this a static IP for the Camera / DVR, in this case 10.0.0.150)

Sometimes people do not realize that the Modem from Codetel/Claro may also be a router and thus install another router such as the Linksys routers. This just adds an extra level of un-necessary complications unless you need the Linksys for wireless access. I bought an 8 port Ethernet switch and have basically eliminated the need for my Linksys router.

In the above 3 step example, it becomes a 4 step with the Linksys installed after the Codetel/Claro modem router.

Example:

(2) IP address of Linksys Router under the Codetel/Claro Modem/Router: 192.168.0.1
(4) IP address of Camera / DVR under the Linksys Modem Router: 192.168.0.150

Are we having fun yet!

Don

No fun yet, I will let you know when we will start crying :cool: