Heritage School

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
The Heritage School at Cap Cana--the website language uses "we will" in its language. Can anyone tell me if this school is currently in operation? It looks so beautiful and idyllic in the photos. I am doing research on school design and would be interested in visiting.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ah yes, it is beautiful. State of the art plant.

My daughter in law took her kids out of there. Not happy with results.

PM me if you what her take on the place...

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lots of our neighbours had their kids there and have taken them out. Mostly due to the high school fees, although many also say they were dissatisfied with the results, as in the case of HB's grandkids. Where are they this year, HB?

There is more competition in the area since Calasanz School opened in Pueblo Bavaro. Punta Cana International School has lost some students to it because of location and lower fees, and I imagine the same will have happened with Heritage.

MG, when is this planned visit?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I don't know about PCIS. Nadia's class increased dramatically this year, all with kids that came from Heritage. There are also new kids in the ballet class that also came from Heritage and are now at PCIS. A couple of parents told me that unhappiness with their method and results were the reason.

Although PCIS is not nearly as fancy-looking, I have to say that I am very happy with it. Actually I am pleasantly surprised by the results, and all things considered it is not that expensive.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
One of the things I like about PCIS is that it is not that fancy looking. It's clean, there is plenty of open space, but the installations are fairly simple. And that is a good thing.

What I wish they would revisit is the uniform policy - and that goes for all schools with only a couple of exceptions that I know of. It seems crazy to make children wear socks, shoes, thick polo shirts tucked into belted long trousers - it's a tropical climate! They should be in t-shirts, shorts and sandals.

I suppose it serves as training for adulthood in the tropics, where wearing the least practical garments for the climate appears to be de-rigeur.

ETA, yes, lots of ex-Heritage kids in my son's class too, but two or three have moved to Calasanz.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
thanks

Quick responses, many thanks. The school looks idyllic!

As a new school I imagine it has growing pains in establishing itself. Especially if there are other quality schools in competition for students. I was impressed with the images of one to one laptops. As a teacher in a one to one laptop school myself, I know how very hard it is to integrate technology with pedagogy, knowledge, and content. It takes training and evaluation on a large scale which many schools are simply unable to do with efficacy without strong leadership and vision of technology integration and staff feedback on needs/training/assessment/curriculum development.

Chiri: I will be coming down in February by myself (or with my SO), and on April with 32 Maine kids and parents (mixed group) to do a service learning project with an esteemed Santiago professor helping us. ;)

Perhaps in February we can somehow connect?

My research project is not in full swing until third year of the master's program in which I am enrolled. Currently I am in year 2.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
May I add that what it (Heritage School) seems to lack in its plant design is a vivero and garden laboratories. My brother is leading a school garden project in Florida in which his undergrad students go to a local elementary school and integrate gardening with curriculum. It's quite a nice idea, here is more info. (Ad free site, absolutely no agenda but to share a good idea).

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
One of the things I like about PCIS is that it is not that fancy looking. It's clean, there is plenty of open space, but the installations are fairly simple. And that is a good thing.
Another thing I like is that PCIS seem to be more inclusive and representative of Dominican society than Heritage. The lack of fanciness is a plus to me, add to that the fact that not all the kids come from well-to-do or middle-class families and I think the kids will have a more rounded idea of things in real-life DR.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
And about the uniform, if anything they are relaxed about it. I mean, Nadia can use hair ribbons and pins of any color and can use shorts for at least two more years.

My school was like the military, we all had to look the same, down to hair accessories. I find it odd they didn't mandate the color of our underwear.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Chiri: PCIS from what i hear: Raul Octavio is in 5th grade and Julio Manuel is in 2nd?

I am MG's SO when she is in the DR...Sankie ol' me!!!! I get Maple syrup outta the deal!!!

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
OK, it's just a matter of time before our paths cross. Mine is in 4th grade.

So MG brings more Maine goodies for Pib and I, does that make us sankiettes? :D