Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heritage School

The Way Life Should Be...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Heritage School

The Heritage School at Cap Cana--the website language uses "we will" in its language. Can anyone tell me if this school is currently in operation? It looks so beautiful and idyllic in the photos. I am doing research on school design and would be interested in visiting.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes, it is beautiful. State of the art plant.

My daughter in law took her kids out of there. Not happy with results.

PM me if you what her take on the place...

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of our neighbours had their kids there and have taken them out. Mostly due to the high school fees, although many also say they were dissatisfied with the results, as in the case of HB's grandkids. Where are they this year, HB?

There is more competition in the area since Calasanz School opened in Pueblo Bavaro. Punta Cana International School has lost some students to it because of location and lower fees, and I imagine the same will have happened with Heritage.

MG, when is this planned visit?

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about PCIS. Nadia's class increased dramatically this year, all with kids that came from Heritage. There are also new kids in the ballet class that also came from Heritage and are now at PCIS. A couple of parents told me that unhappiness with their method and results were the reason.

Although PCIS is not nearly as fancy-looking, I have to say that I am very happy with it. Actually I am pleasantly surprised by the results, and all things considered it is not that expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I like about PCIS is that it is not that fancy looking. It's clean, there is plenty of open space, but the installations are fairly simple. And that is a good thing.

What I wish they would revisit is the uniform policy - and that goes for all schools with only a couple of exceptions that I know of. It seems crazy to make children wear socks, shoes, thick polo shirts tucked into belted long trousers - it's a tropical climate! They should be in t-shirts, shorts and sandals.

I suppose it serves as training for adulthood in the tropics, where wearing the least practical garments for the climate appears to be de-rigeur.

ETA, yes, lots of ex-Heritage kids in my son's class too, but two or three have moved to Calasanz.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

Quick responses, many thanks. The school looks idyllic!

As a new school I imagine it has growing pains in establishing itself. Especially if there are other quality schools in competition for students. I was impressed with the images of one to one laptops. As a teacher in a one to one laptop school myself, I know how very hard it is to integrate technology with pedagogy, knowledge, and content. It takes training and evaluation on a large scale which many schools are simply unable to do with efficacy without strong leadership and vision of technology integration and staff feedback on needs/training/assessment/curriculum development.

Chiri: I will be coming down in February by myself (or with my SO), and on April with 32 Maine kids and parents (mixed group) to do a service learning project with an esteemed Santiago professor helping us.

Perhaps in February we can somehow connect?

My research project is not in full swing until third year of the master's program in which I am enrolled. Currently I am in year 2.

Post Thanks / Like

May I add that what it (Heritage School) seems to lack in its plant design is a vivero and garden laboratories. My brother is leading a school garden project in Florida in which his undergrad students go to a local elementary school and integrate gardening with curriculum. It's quite a nice idea, here is more info. (Ad free site, absolutely no agenda but to share a good idea).

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, more than connect - I hope you will stay with us

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    One of the things I like about PCIS is that it is not that fancy looking. It's clean, there is plenty of open space, but the installations are fairly simple. And that is a good thing.
    Another thing I like is that PCIS seem to be more inclusive and representative of Dominican society than Heritage. The lack of fanciness is a plus to me, add to that the fact that not all the kids come from well-to-do or middle-class families and I think the kids will have a more rounded idea of things in real-life DR.

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

And about the uniform, if anything they are relaxed about it. I mean, Nadia can use hair ribbons and pins of any color and can use shorts for at least two more years.

My school was like the military, we all had to look the same, down to hair accessories. I find it odd they didn't mandate the color of our underwear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast