saving on electricity

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My spanish is not great, can someone tell me what this is about.

Econom?a & Negocios - Ofrecen ?cajita m?gica? para robarse la energ?a

There is a box you plug in you outlet that slows down the electric meter, thus you end up with a lower bill. Of course it is illegal. It also discusses other methods.

The best way to cut down on electric usage is to use flourescent lights(natural light ones are available) and use a gravity feed water system as opposed to having the water pump cut on everytime someone cuts on a faucet. My bill used to be RD1700 a month but has jumped to RD2200. That is still pretty inexpensive compared to the States. Of course we don't have AC but here in Santiago it's not necessary. We have many fans and tv's and an electric water heater, microwave and a fridge that is always running

Feb 7, 2007
It's nice of Listin to make free advertising for Electric Mafia.

I have read the story in print version when it was published last week, "nice" suggestion ... it is really like saying "Go ahead, buy this stuff, go out and look for people who would get you one, or if ya smart enough, look up the schemes on Internet and get one built up!"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my friend has one of those things, i think. i say "i think" because his "cajita magica" is way cheaper at 30 dollars for two (compared to 10-15k pesos in the article) and it is called "intelligent energy saver".
apparently you need two of them. they are plugged inside the house straight into the wall socket (not into extension unit).
my friend's electricity bill was reduced by 40%.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
my friend has one of those things, i think. i say "i think" because his "cajita magica" is way cheaper at 30 dollars for two (compared to 10-15k pesos in the article) and it is called "intelligent energy saver".
apparently you need two of them. they are plugged inside the house straight into the wall socket (not into extension unit).
my friend's electricity bill was reduced by 40%.

I find this so hard to believe, how could it work? Why is it not publicly known?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I found this one - it claims it can cut your bill by 40%
and costs about $40

Intelligent Energy Saver reduces your electricity bill by 35% - 40%

yes, my friend's cajita magica looks exactly like this. brand "intelliworks". apparently it regulates fluctuation in power supply - so it probably works better in DR than in civilized countries.
here is a link to money saving forum and they opinions/explanations:
Intelliworks Energy Saver - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I would love a few more confirmations that this actually works. This is incredible if true.

Feb 7, 2007
OK, I think it well may be a hoax

Research selected links:

Google

Quote:

" ... Since our debunking of the "Electricity saving box" in the November 2007 issue, another device along the same lines has appeared in Harvey Norman stores. Called the "Enersonic Power Saver" it claims potential power savings of up to 24%. At $59.00, it is considerably more expensive than the previous device but just like that one, it won't save you a cent on your electricity bills... "

110502_10mg.jpg

Quote:
"...Fig.1: the circuit of the Enersonic Power Saver. If you have a sense of deja vu, it just might be because this circuit is virtually identical to that of the "Electricity saving box", which we thoroughly debunked back in our November 2007 issue. We thought such scams had been laid to rest... "