satellite Internet North Coast

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Any opinons on this ?

Reliability ?

I've heard uploading is a problem.

Cost ? to set up, then monthly cost

Hughesnet is the big name brand but what other companies can provide it here on the North Coast

I've heard of IDirect but not too familiar with there services

Any others ?

Any help would be great

O.S.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
www / TV via Satellite

Hughes is reliable and independent from Dominican infrastructure. Their speeds vary with their plans (starting at 59.99$/month).
Initial costs are relatively high (= purchase of a dish, BUC, LNB/feedhorn-assembly, modem) but worth it IMO where other local services do not have a coverage.

TV off the Amazonas satellite has quite a good programming on about 150 channels ("Movistar"), still in N2.

donP

RD-Info

Mar 19, 2009
www.rd-negocios.com
Hughesnet is a piece of...joke. iDirect use same satellites like Hughesnet, it's same company.
Take satellite service only if some alternative doesn't exist.
Any alternative is much better. Take 3g card from Centenial or Claro, or codetel line.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Any opinons on this ?

Reliability ?

I've heard uploading is a problem.

Cost ? to set up, then monthly cost

Hughesnet is the big name brand but what other companies can provide it here on the North Coast

I've heard of IDirect but not too familiar with there services

Any others ?

Any help would be great

O.S.

I Use Sky Satellite and it's good for back up.

I get all of their channels and pay $60 u.s per month.

They offer all pay-per view movies sports etc including NFL Sunday ticket

Their contact numbers change often so if and when......

Last edited:

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
Quick question Mike:

They offer all pay-per view movies sports etc including NFL Sunday ticket

Does this mean that on top of your $60 US per month, you have to pay for all the movies and sports? Or are the movie and sports channels included and it is only Sky Box Office and special events that are extra?

Lin
:bunny:

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I'm just looking for a reliable internet connection.

Satellite TV I have with Legal Dish network plan

I'm tired of Codetel Internet as I pay for unlimited service yet I only get actual internet service half the time. ( I've called, they've sent people, It still sucks)

The reason I ask about Satellite service is I have an extra dish on my roof that I can use.

donp sent you an email

RD-info I have heard that Hughes is shakey that why I'm looking for options and opinions.

Does anybody know of other companies that provide Satellite service ( Internet only) or has any info on there services ( Reliability etc.)

Thanks O.S.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
I'm just looking for a reliable internet connection.

Satellite TV I have with Legal Dish network plan

I'm tired of Codetel Internet as I pay for unlimited service yet I only get actual internet service half the time. ( I've called, they've sent people, It still sucks)

The reason I ask about Satellite service is I have an extra dish on my roof that I can use.

donp sent you an email

RD-info I have heard that Hughes is shakey that why I'm looking for options and opinions.

Does anybody know of other companies that provide Satellite service ( Internet only) or has any info on there services ( Reliability etc.)

Thanks O.S.

I have just (three weeks ago) along with 3 other tenants in the condos installed the Nfusion dish system with hard wired internet connections. The Solaris receivers are working fine and have hundreds (350 or so) of American channels. Every hour or so the signal may freeze for 4 or 5 seconds, I guess this is a code update, but that is the only problem I have encountered.

One tenant put in a HD receiver, very costly and my old eyes can't see the difference for the extra cost, but he says it's worth the extra. It's a one time charge and there are no monthly fees for the pirate service.

The dealer/installer is Leonsa and his phone number in Puerto Plata is 8097728251.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Comparing Apples with Pears

Hughesnet is a piece of...joke. iDirect use same satellites like Hughesnet, it's same company.
Check their service plans and contract periods.
Then call a 'sales engineer' or a 'value added reseller' of both companies and ask for a quote to set up a system in the Dominican Republic.... :tired:

donP

@ RD-info:
As you seem to sell internet service:
Please make me an offer for a service better and more reliable and cheaper than Hughes.
I'll be your customer.

Last edited:

RD-Info

Mar 19, 2009
www.rd-negocios.com
Where you see that I'm selling internet service ? My company provide internet in hotels, you can not compare those two kind of services.
And anyway, any price from hughesnet providers is too big for that kind of service that we have in Dominican Republic.
I'm just one technician who is sick of bad service providers like HughesNet and problems with connections. Recently we was without service 14 days ! Hotel ! Clients don't understand, how is this possible ! Not to mention lost money and equal expenses !
I can post numerous screenshot's here to show double and triple less amount of download/upload speed from that how much we pay, and screenshots of various warnings to pay service bills because our provider probably manipulate wit our payments and almost always pay after the last day ,not to mention latency of 900-3000 ms ! 9 to 30 seconds to open any page , if is page https (to open email or secure protocol) prepare yourself on even more waiting and timeout pages... I can post, but I will not. I'm not here to do dick-measuring with somebody. I don't have time to loose ,especially on forums.

I will just repeat this -
if you are really, but really desperate for internet service and really nobody else from providers is not around , take satellite. In any other case, take anything and will be better, faster, and cheaper. For example, Card with 3g from Centenial or Claro is about 1800-2000 Pesos, works great if you are in good coverage zone.

RD-Info

Mar 19, 2009
www.rd-negocios.com
Site is finished, just not released yet because of some elements for shopping card. And yet, you will not see the prices, it is not for comparing with commercial services. We provide / sell services in hotels, where you see that I'm selling something to you or other people here ? Like, you have some point here or what ? What you are trying to do, to put some shade on me or company ?
I have experience with hughesnet from the first hand, and their service SUCKS big time.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Quick question Mike:

Does this mean that on top of your $60 US per month, you have to pay for all the movies and sports? Or are the movie and sports channels included and it is only Sky Box Office and special events that are extra?

Lin
:bunny:

Sky offers different packages with the most basic being what any cable provider would issue.

Their premium packages offer HBO Show Time etc and allot of these movies can be sen on TNT or local cable

You are really paying the luxury of catching a movie when you have nothing better to do

The pay-per view movies are for new releases or Adult....XXX

The advantage is clarity when the cable box blows etc.

For new movies before they reach any of the aforementioned, I have heard these guys are worth looking at... Graboid Video

I hate when the Russian video guy stands up!

Last edited:

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I, in Las Terrenas, am using StarBand for internet only at just under US$ 50 a month. I have no complaints. Sometimes its a bit slow and heavy rain or cloud looses the connection but I am not a heavy user with films for example. If anyone wants to know more advise me your email and I'll send it on to my installer.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Shade

We provide / sell services in hotels, __.
Well, isn't this what I assumed?
(And BTW, there's nothing wrong with that.)

where you see that I'm selling something to you or other people here ?
I don't see that and I didn't say that you did.

Like, you have some point here or what ? What you are trying to do, to put some shade on me or company ?
Tranquilo.
Why should I?

I have experience with hughesnet from the first hand, and their service SUCKS big time.
Hughes does not market their products and/or services here, but there are people using the systems.
It's relatively cheap and I know that it works very well.
Hughes' support, however, is bad as they outsourced it to India or the Phillipines. You get very polite people on the line but usually very useless ones.
Many clients complain about this and thus prefer Starband.

donP

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I would have to agree with RD-info concerning Hughesnet.
They are horrible.
Yes the signal is usually good, but if you use the computer enough they will cut you off. If you upgrade to a more expensive plan, you still get the same EXACT results....cut off. This is only after using 200MB.
Hughesnet is a joke!
Try calling one of their service reps and you'll quickly see what kind of mickey-mouse service provider they are.
Once you sign the agreement your stuck. Even if they cut you off you still pay.
I am using 100MB now and getting cut off.

If I can find a better provider, I too will switch as soon as I can.