Good Coffee in Barahona

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
I will be spending some time in Barahona in October and a friend of mine has asked me if it is possible to get very good locally grown whole bean coffee while I am there. He drinks Kona coffee (from Hawaii) so he is pretty picky. It would have to packed well enough to travel to the US. When I was in Polo last year I bought some ground coffee in a plastic bag from one of the residents and it was excellent. Is there a source in Barahona for good whole bean coffee? I will be doing some touring there so I wouldn't mind taking a ride to get it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Organic, mountain grown: Caf? Melo....cannot be beaten...absolutely. I have Kona and it is "different" but nothing, absolutely, nothing is better than Melo.....Jarabacoa has an excellent one that is close, for sure...Monta?a Alta....we used to buy it at the golf course...back when I played a bit...

HB

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I'm not a coffee drinker, but the most talked-about coffee from around Barahona is indeed from Polo. I don't know if they package it to sell it locally in the supermarket. Coffee is also produced in the hills of Paraiso, but again I don't know if they package it to sell or if they sell to the bigger companies like Santo Domingo.

Any folks that lurk in this section know more?

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Cafe Melo

I think I will visit the Cafe Melo. They have a store/cafe at 14 Anacoana in Barahona and it is said that the package the coffee well to travel. I am staying near Pariaso and may visit Polo, so if I'm lucky I can get some of all three. Thanks for all the replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I bought a pound of Melo from the factory store in Barahona. It was cheap - 30 pesos. It is good coffee with strong flavor. I prefer Monte Alto myself. At the supermarket in ,Cafe Santo Domingo and Monte Alto were 78 Pesos per lb.