International Merchant Accounts

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
I have a client working on starting up an e commerce web site. He will ship from Miami. He is a German citizen living in the DR. He's working on getting a merchant account for his online biz. I've been trying to help but my only experience is with merchant accounts from the U.S. I see several options but have no direct knowledge of the companies providing the service.

Question:

Has anyone here set up an international merchant account? If so what company did you choose and are you happy with them?

All advice is welcome.

Thanks,

SDL

Sep 22, 2009
I have a client working on starting up an e commerce web site. He will ship from Miami. He is a German citizen living in the DR. He's working on getting a merchant account for his online biz. I've been trying to help but my only experience is with merchant accounts from the U.S. I see several options but have no direct knowledge of the companies providing the service.

Question:

Has anyone here set up an international merchant account? If so what company did you choose and are you happy with them?

All advice is welcome.

Thanks,

SDL

Do you need an RNC to get a merchant account here? maybe check into that first.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
a good import broker...

Not sure I understand this comment but....

The business will basically be an online business, not necessarily a Dominican biz. My job is setting up the hosting and Magento eCommerce side of the business.

I'm just trying to help him get some answers that he needs to set up the appropriate accounts for international online processing. Like I said, I've implemented with US merchant accounts only, but nothing outside the US.

I've found some international merchant accounts that we're looking into but what I really hoped to get from the board was first hand info. Someone that has implemented and could provide a positive or negative review on the provider used. From the lack of responses it appears that there are not many on the board with this type of experience.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Local rates with VisaNet and CardNet are ridiculous.
Don't process here, unless you have no other choice.

You have many options from PayPal, Google Checkout, 2Checkout, WorldPay to a full blown merchant account and gateway (authorize.net) etc.

Why can't he use a USA based merchant account?
Getting merchant accounts is not that hard these days, once you get past all the fluff and 3rd party vendors etc.

What about processing via Europe as he's a German citizen?

You have many, many options, I suggest you start researching online.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Do you need an RNC to get a merchant account here? maybe check into that first.

Yes, as far as I'm aware. The rates are crazy and I think only CardNet have any sort of online POS or API that can be used.

CardNet charges 6% per online transaction last time I checked.
That's on top of the other fee's they slip in :)

Right now USA merchants are around 2.20 to 2.50% depending
how the card is run, volume etc.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
For my websites I use Checkout by Amazon but over 90% of my clientele are in North America and the other 10% is United Kingdom. I used to use Paypal but that payment processing system's rules allow customer fraud to happen very easily. Advantage of using Checkout by Amazon is that it attracts and converts Amazon shoppers on my websites by providing them with a convenient and secure payment option which they are very familiar with.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures

Question:

All advice is welcome.

Thanks,

SDL

We investigated Visa Net/Card net. As others said - it seems pricey so we got a "deal" through Sam's Club First Data. First Data is huge. Well, early on the "deal" evaporated once they started doing all the add ons - such as member cards, foreign cards, gateway, statement, etc... One month - our rate was 8%... so I raised hell, threatened to dump them and now - we are at a flat 1.84%. And most folks don't know but First Data Merchant Services is a division of Bank of America. Ick.

Read this for some info: Merchant Services Review 2014 | Best Merchant Account Services | Accept Credit Card Payments - TopTenREVIEWS

Many - will not deal with the foreign aspect - but if you have a parent US company - they will. Try a European/SA institution - Santander or BBVA. They are growing, thriving and might actually appreciate business as opposed to Bank that Ate America.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
There are many third party processors in Europe, so if he is German, ahs German address and account and could eventually set up Gmbh company in Germany he will have no problem getting European processor. There are more 3-rd party solutions (and relatively inexpensive) in Europe than they are in USA.

B

barrieboy

Merchant Accounts

Question:

All advice is welcome.

Thanks,

SDL

Try Nexpedite in Provo, Utah. Drop ship and also provide merchant account services through their company.